Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 04:51 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettybaby80 View Post
i'm moving next week , Jersey, landlord told me she would need a copy for emergencies. and since the key that she gave me is the only copy, i would need to make a copy and give it to her then she'd reimburse me for the copy.... i'm not really liking this.. would i be able to add another lock? there's just one lock...

Before she handed me the keys, i was planning on changing the locks, now i don't have that option.. I have no problems w/ her, but i'm not sure if she changed the locks after the last tenants moved and i always change locks after i move in... not sure what to do.
Ask her about rekeying the locks based solely on there having been previous tenants - it's an easy enough job and inexpensive. No, you can't add any locks without the LL's permission and provide the LL with a key. LL legally has to have full access to a residential property.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 05:03 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Video/voice recording your landlord without his permission is a crime under MA law.
Provide the citation. You are not correct.

Quote:
It is not the tenants home.
A home is where a person resides. That someone else owns the premises and leases/rents it to another, does not change the definition of home.

Quote:
Actually under MA law, no notice is required or specified for a landlord to enter.
On this you are partially correct. But see what Rabrrita has posted.

It is really important that you either provide the citations for the laws you have (incorrectly) interpreted so that others may read them and make their own interpretation. In this case, both your interpretations of the statutes were grossly misleading and erroneous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Uhmmm, MA has no law that a landlrod must give notice to enter because the law says they can not enter.

General Law Part II, Title I, Chapter 186, Section 15B. (1) (a) No lease relating to residential real property shall contain a provision that a lessor may, except to inspect the premises, to make repairs thereto or to show the same to a prospective tenant, purchaser, mortgagee or its agents, enter the premises before the termination date of such lease.

The permissible reasons are further restricted in the explanations. Basically, if it's not an emergency, you need the tenant's permission.

As for videotaping, in MA it is legal to videotape in your home. It is legal to record voice openly. It is illegal to secretly record voice without permission. A Nanny-cam that records voice would be illegal unless you post a notice that it it being recorded before the person enters the recording area.
And so one only needs to turn off the microphone to the "cam" to be fully within the statute. It's unlikely the landlord (or other snooper/trespasser/burglar) is talking to him/herself so voice recording would be of no value anyway.

BTW, if items were taken, regardless of the value, that makes the intruder into a stalker and I'd be contacting the police ASAP. Stalking is very serious.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:10 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
BTW, if items were taken, regardless of the value, that makes the intruder into a stalker and I'd be contacting the police ASAP. Stalking is very serious.

Last edited by NY Annie; 03-09-2015 at 05:17 PM.. Reason: double post

Old 03-09-2015, 05:21 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
i'm moving next week , Jersey, landlord told me she would need a copy for emergencies. and since the key that she gave me is the only copy, i would need to make a copy and give it to her then she'd reimburse me for the copy.... i'm not really liking this.. would i be able to add another lock? there's just one lock...

Before she handed me the keys, i was planning on changing the locks, now i don't have that option.. I have no problems w/ her, but i'm not sure if she changed the locks after the last tenants moved and i always change locks after i move in... not sure what to do.
You could change the lock yourself or have someone do it and ask her is if you can add another lock, but you would still need to give your landlord a copy of the key and you can't take the lock with you when you leave unless you specify you want to do this and hold on to the old one.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:28 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:

Is there a doorknob or are you saying that the it's ONLY the doorknob that locks/has a key. If it's just a lock and doorknob that doesn't have a key. You can change out the doorknob to a keyed doorknob. That way you have a way to your privacy but can leave it unlocked for landlord to do repairs etc.

But if you only have a lockable doorknob, you cannot add a lock which requires drilling a hole in the door itself without permission.

Old 03-09-2015, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
You can change out the doorknob to a keyed doorknob. That way you have a way to your privacy but can leave it unlocked for landlord to do repairs etc.

But if you only have a lockable doorknob, you cannot add a lock which requires drilling a hole in the door itself without permission.
It makes no difference that one has to be drilled and the other doesn't. You cannot alter or change any locks on a residential property without the express permission of the landlord and the landlord has to be given a key.

Old 03-09-2015, 10:47 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:

She gave you a key to your apartment, and doesn't have a copy for herself, and expects you to make her copy for her? That's ridiculous.

Heck, just give her your old key to your last place and see if she notices LOL.

Sure you still have the option of changing the locks. Give her a copy of the key to the old lock, and then change the locks and wait to see if she notices.

That's what she gets for being too cheap to make her own copy of a key to her own rental. Sheesh.

If she notices, just act surprised and confused. Give her another key, and change the locks again.

Now, I trust my current landlord completely. I feel confident that she nor maintenance will come into my apartment without notice, and I have not changed the locks and don't intend to. But, I've had landlords in the past who would come into my home on the sly, and I did change the locks and have no remorse whatsoever for doing so under those circumstances.

So, if you trust this landlady, then give her a copy. But, I still think she should pay for it. Sheesh, what a cheap bird.

Old 03-10-2015, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
1. She gave you a key to your apartment, and doesn't have a copy for herself, and expects you to make her copy for her? That's ridiculous..

2. .. But, I still think she should pay for it. Sheesh, what a cheap bird.
1. Things happen. Same thing happened to me twice when LLs misplaced/lost their keys and I had no problem making the copy.

2. The LL said she would be reimbursed.

Old 03-11-2015, 06:21 AM

544 posts, read 1,238,255 times
i just came this device on amazon... key block (sp).. this goes around the lock , but the lock itself is not changed.. it comes w/ a key. sort of like a glove for the lock.. ironically it's used for landlords to lock out tenants.. i.e . evictions. I'm purchasing one, my ll advised i cannot change locks, but pretty sure the handyman has a spare and not even sure if the locks were changed after the old tenants moved out... as a precaution for my child and I , i'm using this and if she needs to get in, welll... guess she will let me know. I've always been able to change locks when i moved, not this time.

Old 03-11-2015, 07:11 AM

Quote:
i just came this device on amazon... key block (sp).. this goes around the lock , but the lock itself is not changed.. it comes w/ a key. sort of like a glove for the lock.. ironically it's used for landlords to lock out tenants.. i.e . evictions. I'm purchasing one, my ll advised i cannot change locks, but pretty sure the handyman has a spare and not even sure if the locks were changed after the old tenants moved out... as a precaution for my child and I , i'm using this and if she needs to get in, welll... guess she will let me know. I've always been able to change locks when i moved, not this time.
You're still well advised to give her a key. If there's ever an emergency situation and she can't get hold of you and can't get in, you'll be one unhappy camper. Particularly when your landlady has already told you you can't "change" the locks. What you're effecting is a change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting