Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 01:43 PM

7 posts, read 10,036 times

Advertisements

My roommate and I found a reasonably priced 2 bedroom/2 bath duplex at $1250 in a very nice part of Dallas that we really want to love. The layout is a perfect roommate floor plan and there's even a small yard for my dog. The only thing holding us back is the condition of the apartment.

The duplex was built in I think the 50s and looks like it hasn't been renovated since then. The cabinets in the kitchen are hard to open with faded paint and the appliances are probably as old as the house. Both bathrooms are covered in bright colored tile that makes me feel like I need flip-flops in the shower with old fixtures and I'm pretty sure the heaters in there are fire hazards.

Here's some background info: there are several duplexes in the area built at the same time that have been moderately updated in the kitchen at least but many of them only contain one bathroom and a half bath and are 2 story. A few of them are the same in price or charging about $250 more in rent. There are also several homes and apartments within the same block going for $2000+.

We haven't spoken to the landlord yet but were thinking about suggesting that the landlord do renovations. My roommate and I would be willing to paint walls, switch out fixtures, and do an easy refinish of the wood floors but installing a new kitchen and bathroom would be more than what we're capable of. My parents are renovating their dated kitchen and I've already asked if I can buy their old fridge and double wall oven from them (which are only about 5 - 10 years old I think, are stainless steel, and work fine but don't fit the look of what they want now) as well so that's down on the cost of 2 appliances that don't look low-end. We could probably also scavenge a few other things from their renovation as well.

We're not looking for a fancy update but we want something that looks decent. I'm hoping that the landlord will hear us out since the improvements we want would add value to the apartment and make it competitive with the surrounding rentals. What would be your advice for getting the landlord to at least do some of the updates? Have any of you successfully negotiated renovations with your lease and if so how did you go about it? Would we be asking for too much? I would like to be prepared when we finally talk to him/her. By the way we would be signing for a year term and would continue to renew if the place suits us so we'd be longterm tenants (not sharing a bathroom is the key to our happiness!). We also have a very good rental history. Thank you ahead of time for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 02:00 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
All you can do is ask. Honestly, it's not something I would do on a residential lease. Once the year is up and you've renovated the place he can simply decide to not renew your lease or raise the rent to market value for comparable units - or both. Neither benefits you.

I've rented two commercial spaces which I renovated and equipped for my purposes but had long term leases at both. With only annual COL rent increases, that made sense.

Good luck with whatever you decide but do think it through carefully.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:32 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
You can offer but I too would say no. Unless you were a contractor, then I would consider it. But diyers? No.

And according to your post, it's one of the cheaper rents in the area for the convenience of the roommate layout. There's a reason why. It's up to do to put up with it and get another rental if the landlord says no thanks.

Old 03-09-2015, 02:33 PM

912 posts, read 5,261,323 times
In my experience as a landlord, people who come in and want to change this, and change that, and update this or the other, are usually problem tenants who will never be happy with anything that I could potentially offer to them.

Definitely talk to the landlord, you won't lose anything by asking. But be prepared for the landlord to not be willing to do anything that you suggest.

Old 03-09-2015, 04:18 PM

7 posts, read 10,036 times
I probably got too excited seeing all these projects from watching too much HGTV but realistically I should hope for the landlord refinishing the floor, letting us paint, and doing something about the kitchen. Coming in with that would make us seem finicky. The duplexes in the area were built around the same time and the 2 that are the same price have updated kitchens which is just basic low-end cabinets and low end appliances. Maybe he/she will let us replace the doors at least. I can get over the bathrooms after some vigorous scrubbing. Just really liked the place over the others. First one we walked into that felt like home. And 2 bathrooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting