Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2015, 07:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times

Advertisements

I know no one wants to hear a rental sob-story/question, so I'll just get the facts out of the way and then ask my questions.

The rental is in Los Angeles County, California.
It's a 1 year lease with 3 cotenants (myself included) that is about to expire in a few months.
Once the lease expires, it will roll over to a month-to-month rental.

Two of the three cotenants want to leave once the lease has expired.
The 3rd cotentant may or may not try to stay (however it is doubtful the 3rd cotenant could afford the full amount of the rent).

Now on to my question:

If the 2nd cotenant and I move out at the end of the year lease, are we liable if the 3rd cotenant decides to stay but fails to pay the rent? I'm aware that joint and several liability laws consider all three of us as a single entity, but does this continue once the lease has expired?

*I should note that I don't care about the security deposit at this point, I just want to make sure I'm not liable should the 3rd cotenant decide to stay.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 07:38 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
I would think so if you don't get the lease situation taken care of. You have to have your name and the second one's name off the lease and if the 3rd person wants to stay they have to sign a new lease with the LL, but don't just leave and assume. You can't just leave after a year because it will turn month to month and still be a valid lease.

Old 03-10-2015, 01:21 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
This is a really good question.

I think you need to get the tenant who wants to stay - to get a new lease without your names on it. Or at minimum, to put in writing that he/she is fully liable for rent after you two move out, and get them to sign it.

What can happen, though, is if you two move out, and the other guy stays, then the month-to-month agreement will assume you are still tenants. You will still be liable.

If the other guy doesn't pay the rent, you all will be listed on the eviction documents.

So, even if other guy gets sued for nonpayment of rent, and you later take him to court, and sue him to reimburse you for money the landlord comes after you for - you will still be on an eviction report that says an unlawful detainer was filed with your name on it.

And the landlord can come after you for the rent other guy didn't pay, which you'll have to pay unless you want a judgment. Then, you sue other guy for the rent you had to pay, and try to collect from other guy.

Yep, convoluted mess. Potential disaster.

Your best bet is to convince other guy to sign a new lease with the landlord that does not have your names on it. If he balks, it might be worth it to tell him he can keep your part of the deposit money if he agrees to do so.

The thing is, you probably also won't be able to get any of your deposit money back, either, until he vacates. So, you might as well use it as a bargaining tool. Unless you think you can convince him to vacate at the same time you do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting