Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 06:31 PM

17 posts, read 18,460 times

Advertisements

I've been in a subsidized low-income apt that's part of a So Cal mixed use development. High-end high rise building that is quite spectacular I must say. 300 units, 77 of which are designated low-income until 2055. bonds issued by the city to finance construction are the reason these exist at all. Property owners and management company both belong in jail in my opinion. They're dirty players, Ive watched it happen around me for years, and I fear my turn may be up. They have systematically ousted several low-income families on weird technical issues in the last few years and have moved in market-rate renters. The story I've heard is that they're using some fine print clause somewhere in god knows what part of the developer contract with state of California that states that if a low-income renter moves out or is evicted, the management has 30 days to fill the unit with a suitable low-income renter from a list of applicants on a waiting list. Allegedly, if they cannot find a qualified applicant in that time frame, they are then allowed to flip the unit up to market rate, and keep it at that rate. This cannot be legal. California Redevelopment Agency was involved with the project initially, but since Governor Brown disbanded the agency as part of state budget cuts, I doubt there is much if any oversight on a lot of these community redevelopment projects that were ongoing when the agency bit the dust. What makes me nervous about my unit is that a few days ago I got a 3-day notice to permanently perform covenant or quit because they said my dog took a crap in the garage. Maybe he did, I don't recall. To me this is something they could have come to me and asked about or told me to not to let happen again. I got forms in triplicate over an alleged turd, and was informed, after an apology, the notice would be put in my file. What's to stop them from sending a certified letter next month stating it happened again and now I have 30 days to move out with no cure for the situation? How long can a 3-day notice be used against someone? Do they HAVE an expiration date? How would one protect themselves from such an assault? Getting rid of the dog would shut that down I suppose but is that a power they have over me? What about having my dogs DNA sequenced, and if an accusation is leveled, I could ask for proof of the waste coming from my animal.? (show me the turd, Jerry, show me the turd!!) Its typical of where this country is at, and it's ridiculous and pathetic to assault the poor in this manner. Greed is such an ugly thing, can someone offer advice, I smell a rat...big corporate one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:28 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubberzInc View Post
... I got a 3-day notice to permanently perform covenant or quit because they said my dog took a crap in the garage. Maybe he did, I don't recall.
I guess the solution is to abide by the terms of your lease where your dog is concerned. Have him on a leash at all times outside your unit and pick up after him.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:43 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Dog on leash craps clean it up! But IF you take him else where to crap he wouldn't be crapping in the garage!

Old 03-18-2015, 01:15 AM

17 posts, read 18,460 times
ive always bagged and cleaned up after him no matter where he craps. I'm not a pig We've used the garage every day for two years several x's a day, no ones said a peep. sorry, I should have been more specific about the oddness of the notice

Old 03-18-2015, 11:49 AM

No matter that you clean it up when a dog craps on cement it STINKS Have your dog Go Potty Before you enter the garage! Train him NOT to go in the garage same as you would when he crap in the apt. When ever your dog craps on the cement Garage or Sidewalks say NO move to the curb after clean & praise.

Old 03-18-2015, 02:34 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
they said my dog took a crap in the garage. Maybe he did, I don't recall.
Quote:
We've used the garage every day for two years several x's a day, no ones said a peep.
You don't recall if your dog went to the bathroom in the garage even though you have been using the garage as your dogs bathroom for the past two years? From what you say, it would seem like your dog did take a crap in the garage, as it has been doing for years. Does he also pee on the cement? That garage must smell horrible. I doubt you are out their scrubbing the concrete every time you take your dog out.

Easily solution is to take your dog to a grassy area to do his business. Then you won't have to worry about being kicked out for your dog going to the bathroom in the garage. Others in the building might have started to complain. I know I would if I saw you repeatedly taking your dog to the garage instead of taking him outside.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:16 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
I've been in a subsidized low-income apt that's part of a So Cal mixed use development. High-end high rise building that is quite spectacular I must say. 300 units, 77 of which are designated low-income until 2055. bonds issued by the city to finance construction are the reason these exist at all. Property owners and management company both belong in jail in my opinion. They're dirty players, Ive watched it happen around me for years, and I fear my turn may be up. They have systematically ousted several low-income families on weird technical issues in the last few years and have moved in market-rate renters. The story I've heard is that they're using some fine print clause somewhere in god knows what part of the developer contract with state of California that states that if a low-income renter moves out or is evicted, the management has 30 days to fill the unit with a suitable low-income renter from a list of applicants on a waiting list. Allegedly, if they cannot find a qualified applicant in that time frame, they are then allowed to flip the unit up to market rate, and keep it at that rate. This cannot be legal. California Redevelopment Agency was involved with the project initially, but since Governor Brown disbanded the agency as part of state budget cuts, I doubt there is much if any oversight on a lot of these community redevelopment projects that were ongoing when the agency bit the dust. What makes me nervous about my unit is that a few days ago I got a 3-day notice to permanently perform covenant or quit because they said my dog took a crap in the garage. Maybe he did, I don't recall. To me this is something they could have come to me and asked about or told me to not to let happen again. I got forms in triplicate over an alleged turd, and was informed, after an apology, the notice would be put in my file. What's to stop them from sending a certified letter next month stating it happened again and now I have 30 days to move out with no cure for the situation? How long can a 3-day notice be used against someone? Do they HAVE an expiration date? How would one protect themselves from such an assault? Getting rid of the dog would shut that down I suppose but is that a power they have over me? What about having my dogs DNA sequenced, and if an accusation is leveled, I could ask for proof of the waste coming from my animal.? (show me the turd, Jerry, show me the turd!!) Its typical of where this country is at, and it's ridiculous and pathetic to assault the poor in this manner. Greed is such an ugly thing, can someone offer advice, I smell a rat...big corporate one
Ok if your dog crapped in the garage clean it up. They sent a 3day notice as a warning to do something you're not doing or violating the lease rules in some way.

I dint think you understand how a 3 day notice works. Basically you get the notice you have 3 days RO fix the problem/issue. If you don't fix the issue then they can start eviction. Say you gave a no oetso rule and you get a dig. They give you 3 day perform or quit to remove the dog from the premises.. You decide not to. After 3 days they can start eviction. The "expiration" on a 3 day X or quit is three days.

You said it's typical of where this country is at. You're right. It is. Everyone has their own agenda. I can't fault a building owner trying to get as much profit out of their investment. I can't fault a tenant for wanting to pay as little as possible for the most amenities. But everyone is battling to get ahead every day.

Old 03-20-2015, 04:45 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
I'm guessing that your dog has done this more than once or you wouldn't be at the 3 day notice stage.

Normally they start with a verbal and then a formal letter. The final step is a 3 day notice. Yes, they expire; in 3 days. Read your notice, it will tell you everything you need to know. Of course you should be asking them for proof that it was your dog and you could fight it if they don't have, but expect to move when your lease expires.

this has nothing to do with greed or 'assault' and everything to do with you being an irresponsible dog owner and letting your dog crap where people walk and leaving it for someone else to pick up.

In my city not curbing your dog can lead to double fines...the city fine is $100 and the HOA fine (in my community) is $150. And it's enforced. Everyday. I find it pretty sad that we've come to where we have to force people to pick up after their dogs. smh And our HOA supplies really nice, large, thick poop bags and a can to throw it in.

Talk to your manager/landlord and see what you an do to fix this Don't sit back and wait for the ball to drop, because it will. Good luck

Old 03-20-2015, 03:26 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
They put you on notice and covered themselves... you could always send a written reply to show you believe the notice was sent in error.

Many places have wait lists and low vacancy... so everyone is looking for stellar tenants.

Low Income only applies to the amount/source of rent... all other terms and conditions remain in full force and to do otherwise could put the Landlord in a bad situation.

Thankfully, picking up after a dog is very simple to remedy... worst case you could always re-home the dog so you are not out looking for a new home.

Old 03-21-2015, 01:00 PM

In Answer to your other question they CAN rent the apt Full Rent as long as when a HUD applicant shows up they are given Another apt. For example my 2 bedroom Was Not priced for Sec 8 when they transferred me to it from the 1 bedroom. Non Sec 8 cost $815 per month but for Sec 8 it was Lowered to $650 When another 2 bedroom opened up they raised it to the $815. Not Illegal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting