Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 01:55 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times

Advertisements

I heard that an HOA in one of Florida's gated communities asks rental applicants to submit to drug testing? Is this common practice? I think background checks, credit checks, employer, references are fair, but drug testing? Seems excessive...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2015, 02:15 PM

32 posts, read 47,458 times
Wow. This country has gone to hell if that's true. Communism, anyone?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:19 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,838,168 times
Yes it's true. Employers in most states can also require drug testing.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:21 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
I can't imagine that would be legally sustainable and wonder if someone read something wrong and perhaps the hearsay revolved around an HOA hiring security guards who in most cases are required to undergo background checks and drug testing ...

Old 03-20-2015, 02:22 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
I heard that an HOA in one of Florida's gated communities asks rental applicants to submit to drug testing? Is this common practice? I think background checks, credit checks, employer, references are fair, but drug testing? Seems excessive...
What, weekly?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:22 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Yes it's true.
Citation?

Old 03-20-2015, 02:44 PM

5,075 posts, read 11,075,581 times
And this is a problem because...?

These are privately owned homes. Drug use is not a constitutionally protected right nor are users considered to be a protected class so far as housing discrimination is concerned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawahonda View Post
Wow. This country has gone to hell if that's true. Communism, anyone?
Yes, whenever I hear people making rules about the use of their privately owned property I immediately assume there's some communists involved

Old 03-20-2015, 03:16 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Curious about this I did a web search and found this one Florida HOA rental application that requires the applicant to grant permission for reports from drug screening firms:

Quote:
http://www.oakleyplacehoa.com/upload...ion_Packet.pdfBy signing below, I acknowledge receipt of a “NOTICE REGARDING BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION” and “A
SUMMARY OF YOUR RIGHTS UNDER THE FAIR CREDIT REPORTING ACT”
and certify that I have read and
understand both documents. Furthermore, I hereby authorize the obtaining of consumer reports and/or
investigative consumer reports at any time, as long as I remain an employee, volunteer or tenant of
Requestor, to the extent permitted by law. To this end, I hereby authorize, without reservation, any law
enforcement agency, administrator, state or federal agency, institution, school or university, information
service bureau, employer, drug screening firm, reference, landlord,
and/or its record custodian, to furnish any
and all background information sought by Requestor or by ALLSTAR BACKGROUNDS, acting on Requestor’s
behalf.
I understand that drug testing is commonly required for tenants in public housing facilities.

Old 03-20-2015, 03:34 PM

499 posts, read 586,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Curious about this I did a web search and found this one Florida HOA rental application that requires the applicant to grant permission for reports from drug screening firms:

I understand that drug testing is commonly required for tenants in public housing facilities.
Different situation - no government assistance, a married professional couple with a 2 year old child renting a 3br/ 2ba home for $2000/month x 1 year...

Old 03-20-2015, 03:57 PM

5,046 posts, read 9,622,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromCTtoFL View Post
Different situation - no government assistance, a married professional couple with a 2 year old child renting a 3br/ 2ba home for $2000/month x 1 year...
So how often? If they are into that, what good does one time do?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting