Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 01:31 PM

165 posts, read 739,697 times

Advertisements

Our tenant is asking landlord to fill out W-9 form, so they can move in.

I'm not sure why I should give it to them, perhaps their employer pays part of their rent or something so they need it for that.

What are disadvantages for landlord giving tenant a completed W-9 form?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 01:39 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
They are trying to deduct the payments to your LL as if the LL was a independent contractor for a business. This way they can deduct ALL the rent as a business expense. I would tell them NO because you are not a subcontractor. They aren't hiring you to conduct business or perform work on their behalf.
Also make sure that the lease is in their names not the business or corporations name. Occupants name ONLY. There is no reason for a tenant to have that type of info.

Form W-9
If you’ve made the determination that the person you’re paying is an independent contractor, the first step is to have the contractor complete Form W-9 (PDF), Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification. This form can be used to request the correct name and Taxpayer Identification Number, or TIN, of the worker. A TIN may be either a Social Security Number (SSN), or an Employer Identification Number (EIN). The W-9 (PDF) should be kept in your files for four years for future reference in case of any questions from the worker or the IRS.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:41 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
The W-9 form includes highly sensitive information and I can't imagine why a tenant would require one of a landlord. It's something I've never heard of. Have you asked the tenant exactly why it's needed?

PS: Read previous post and agree.

Old 03-31-2015, 06:49 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,741,218 times
I would never give it since it is not required and not needed.

I would see it as a red flag unless they have a letter from the IRS proving why they need it and then verify with the IRS if it is true.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:40 AM

2,560 posts, read 6,501,664 times
My cousin had a landlord request her, as a tenant, complete the W-9. I suggested she push back and ask why. LL couldn't produce a valid reason beyond "someone told me I was supposed to", so the issue was dropped. LoL

Old 04-01-2015, 09:56 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBoyd View Post
My cousin had a landlord request her, as a tenant, complete the W-9. I suggested she push back and ask why. LL couldn't produce a valid reason beyond "someone told me I was supposed to", so the issue was dropped. LoL

There is no reason either a tenant or LL needs to fill such form out. Sometimes I seriously shake my head at some of the demands I read about

Old 04-02-2015, 06:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
You need a W-9? Well, you need to be looking for a new landlord.

Sorry to say, you aren't getting my Social Security Number or any sensitive information. No, it's not a double standard. Your information is to verify your identity and history. It is also stored securely. A W-9 with my info in your junk drawer is anything but secure.

Old 04-02-2015, 07:28 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
The landlord has no obligation to do this.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:04 PM

1 posts, read 22,349 times
Guys, this is not true. Any time the renter is claiming a portion of the house as a home office for business or anything like that, it means they paid the landlord money. This needs to be claimed to the IRS. If they don't have a home office or business, then there is no need. Otherwise, it just looks like the landlord is trying to escape actually claiming everything that he/she made in income from the "business" (aka tenant). However, if you are an incorporated entity rather than just a single person with a house you are renting, then they are transacting business with you as two companies and this is not needed. The only time they need a W-9 is for them to give you a 1099. (Note the first box on the 1099 is actually for landlords and rent.) Don't give them the W-9 unless you are sure they will give you a 1099.

Old 01-31-2017, 05:15 PM

525 posts, read 660,431 times
But the landlords didn't rent a business office, they rented a home. They are under NO obligation to fill out a form about a business expense FOR THE RENTER. They have their own obligations to the IRS about business expenses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting