Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 04:24 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,292,628 times

Advertisements

Well That's a Crazy law since anything can happen! Hows a person to say when there is an emergency they end up in the hospital. I Know my neighbors ends up in the hospital Days & Months! My mom was in & out of the hospital. NOT once did they notifiy the LL Rent got paid by me! No One said a word about where she was. My neighbor spent 3 months in a nursing home rehab His rent got paid Mgr didn't know where he was No one did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 05:07 AM

341 posts, read 302,559 times
It seems like one of those issues that aren't strictly a black or white issue, but shades of gray. The law may be on the books, but some choose to enforce it and others don't. It all comes down to whether the tenant is current with their rent and utilities so that the unit isn't damaged during their absence.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:14 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,696,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Well That's a Crazy law since anything can happen! Hows a person to say when there is an emergency they end up in the hospital. I Know my neighbors ends up in the hospital Days & Months! My mom was in & out of the hospital. NOT once did they notifiy the LL Rent got paid by me! No One said a word about where she was. My neighbor spent 3 months in a nursing home rehab His rent got paid Mgr didn't know where he was No one did.
Legal abandonment is one thing. A landlord is perfectly within his legal right to have a clause in the lease stipulating that if a tenant is to be absent from the property for any prolonged period, the landlord be notified. If you don't like the clause then don't sign the lease. The reason for the stipulation should be pretty obvious ...

Old 04-07-2015, 07:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,835,363 times
This looks like a classic situation of trying to get into a new place before an eviction shows up on public record; a professional tenant. The tenant would have had to let the rental company in to retrieve the furniture, so she knew she was leaving. The rental company could not legally force entry to repossess the furniture.

Power off, no furniture, "I'm out of town" = abandonment.

OP, file the eviction and get going on re-renting the place. That tenant is gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting