Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 02:23 PM

2 posts, read 1,443 times

Advertisements

I would definitely only look into private rentals - rentals that do not go thru a management or real estate company. The landlord may check your credit, but by offering an addl mo deposit, they may work with you - this way they are covered for 3 months in case you default. Most people do not want a whole year in advance - plus that is really not a good financial decision. What if you have very serious issues with the property or landlord during that year? You will have to fight to get your money back.

I imagine that most private landlords take many things into acct when renting - not just credit history. If you show up to view the home in raggedy clothes and are unpleasant your chances are slim. I always look at renting a home like a job interview - dress decent, have good manners and interject things in conversation that might help.. IE... I like to work in the yard +++ (now the landlord assumes you take pride in the yard) and I have no problems fixing minor things around the house+++ ( means I wont nag the landlord to fix a drippy faucet). Don't lie, just think about those things that would help make your case.

Read more: [url]//www.city-data.com/forum/renting/235124-paying-entire-lease-up-front-need.html#ixzz57s9UEnZ0[/url]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2018, 02:58 PM

27,214 posts, read 46,761,394 times
I can see the OP issue. Usually when we hear pre-pay the lease in full our Ted flags go up high.

"Normal tenants" will not offer that. Getting a tenant evicted while they pay rent in full is more difficult, etc.

I don't see the bad credit part not so much as we have lots of good tenants with bad credit but just don't take tenants with certain collections on their credit report.

Certain unpaid bills are a sign of bad tenancy and we want to prevent that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting