Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2015, 07:42 AM

3 posts, read 8,179 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I had a question about this and saw another thread previously about it, but not sure if this is same state to state. I am moving out of my apartment at the end of the month and have noticed that the sill in the shower is rotten (caulk is cracking, paint is missing in spots). It does look like it was repaired previously, but not properly. I will be bringing this up with the landlord but I feel they may try to get us to pay for the repair, although it looks as if it wasn't done properly to begin with. I cleaned the sill regularly. but that didn't seem to help. I unfortunately did not take pictures previous to moving in. Any opinions on this? I'm thinking this is normal wear as it is a wooden sill in a shower, but I have never had this issue so I can't say for sure... Thanks all for the help and opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2015, 08:32 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,796,997 times
This would be considered normal wear and tear unless otherwise stated in your lease agreement.

Old 05-03-2015, 08:43 AM

13,131 posts, read 21,011,866 times
It's a maintenance issue the landlord needs to address as normal property upkeep. You normally would not be responsible for the damages. I said normally because many tenants mess up and are held partially responsible because they failed to notify the landlord when they noticed the condition. Tenants can be held responsible in many states for damages that resulted from a failure to properly notify the landlord that resulted in additional damages. You said you cleaned it regularly but it didn't help; are you saying you noticed the deteriorating state of the sill; and if so, did you notify the landlord?

Old 05-03-2015, 10:02 AM

3 posts, read 8,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
It's a maintenance issue the landlord needs to address as normal property upkeep. You normally would not be responsible for the damages. I said normally because many tenants mess up and are held partially responsible because they failed to notify the landlord when they noticed the condition. Tenants can be held responsible in many states for damages that resulted from a failure to properly notify the landlord that resulted in additional damages. You said you cleaned it regularly but it didn't help; are you saying you noticed the deteriorating state of the sill; and if so, did you notify the landlord?
We (my girlfriend and I) did notice the condition upon moving in as all the windows are old in this apartment and are rotting. We brought it to his attention and he said the windows were going to be replaced last summer, but never were.... Unfortunately, we did not get that in writing. The bathroom window, I did notice cracking around the exterior edge where the window meets the wood trim, but it was very lite, so I thought it was normal due to the age of the window (which I am stupid for doing.....). Obviously, it progressed and that is why I just notified him... I didn't realize it is as bad as it is until some paint peeled off the sill today.

Old 05-04-2015, 01:38 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,161,705 times
It was actually my post. I ended up getting all of my security deposit back minus some light fixture thing that wasn't very expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting