Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 10:20 AM

5 posts, read 6,352 times

Advertisements

My wife and I have rented a unit in a duplex for the last 5 years. The landlord lives in the other unit.

We are an attractive late middle age couple. Recently, the landlord has been knocking on our door and asking my wife a series of questions. He only does it when I'm not home.

Questions have been..

Why is your husband not working?
How can you afford nice clothes?
You've never been late on rent so far, so how can I be assured you won't be in the future?
Would your husband mind if I did a walk through inspection of your apartment?
Do you realize if you have an infestation, you'll be charged for the fumigation?

Our lease isn't up until December.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 10:26 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
How does she respond?

Old 05-06-2015, 10:30 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
tell your wife not to let him in until you get home.
and / or go over to him and simply ask, why are you asking my wife all these questions, come to me instead if you need something

nip it right in the bud, and call it a day.

PS: he sounds like a nut. Move.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:52 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I would call your landlord and tell him he is making your wife uncomfortable with his line of questionings. If the landlord has any more questions or concerns, to please contact ONLY you at this number.

And those are the oddest questions ever to be asked. Especially the clothing. My answers would have been like what the heck are you talking about? And if he was so concerned with the lack of employment what the heck did he approve your application to rent his place? Very bewildering.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:58 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
He's suddenly taken a fancy to your wife and she needs to simply tell him, "Call my husband, I'm busy right now" and close the door.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:51 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
He's suddenly taken a fancy to your wife and she needs to simply tell him, "Call my husband, I'm busy right now" and close the door.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:14 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,392,786 times
Such issues may be addressed in your lease.

If you agreed to a credit check it probably had a clause that something to the effect "failure to notify landlord in a timely manner of substantial changes in your financial condition may result in modifications to certain terms of the lease agreement".

Basically smart landlords will get nervous if it seems like tenant is no longer able to pay.

If this is not about the finances it might be worth checking the tenants right regulations in your state / municipality.

Old 05-06-2015, 01:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
Yup. And this is seriously creepy behavior.

When you say "landlord", do you mean he is the property owner, or is he the agent for the property owner?

You do have legal recourse - a good attorney could write him a letter citing your own state's laws - but I think you'd be better off in the long run to move. He *is* right next door.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:46 PM

686 posts, read 1,101,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Professional View Post
My wife and I have rented a unit in a duplex for the last 5 years. The landlord lives in the other unit.
I would HATE to live next door to an owner/landlord, especially a nosy or creepy one.

Old 05-06-2015, 09:05 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,987,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
Such issues may be addressed in your lease.

If you agreed to a credit check it probably had a clause that something to the effect "failure to notify landlord in a timely manner of substantial changes in your financial condition may result in modifications to certain terms of the lease agreement".

Basically smart landlords will get nervous if it seems like tenant is no longer able to pay.

If this is not about the finances it might be worth checking the tenants right regulations in your state / municipality.
Not saying you are wrong, but never in my life have I seen a lease with a clause like that, nor would I ever sign one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting