Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 3,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
It's unfair and unjust but it's legal and it's business and it's a lesson to be learned.

So if it's calendar days why not give notice that you were moving out on 6/04 or 6/05? All you would have had to pay was a few days more.

did they accept the notice? what did they say at the time?

Well what happened is that we had no intention of moving, we were going to renew our contract but on Friday April 3rd at about 6:30 PM I got a call that I got a job in a another city. At that point we realized that the 60 days required to give notice had just past but with this new job we had to move. I gave my notice on Monday. When I gave them the notice they pointed out that we were a bit late but didn't make much of it. If I had known that for those few days I was going to get hit with another months rent I would had asked to stay until the 60 days had been meet, which I'm not sure if they had allowed me to do.

I understand that its in black and white and all that, and yes its a lesson to be learned but its very unfair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2015, 02:28 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrodulfo View Post
Well what happened is that we had no intention of moving, we were going to renew our contract but on Friday April 3rd at about 6:30 PM I got a call that I got a job in a another city. At that point we realized that the 60 days required to give notice had just past but with this new job we had to move. I gave my notice on Monday. When I gave them the notice they pointed out that we were a bit late but didn't make much of it. If I had known that for those few days I was going to get hit with another months rent I would had asked to stay until the 60 days had been meet, which I'm not sure if they had allowed me to do.

I understand that its in black and white and all that, and yes its a lesson to be learned but its very unfair.
Look on the bright side, you could have already renewed at that point and would have been stuck with whatever the penalties are to break that lease. I think you got lucky!

Old 06-09-2015, 04:21 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
I'm curious what is the exact wording on your termination clause?

Old 06-09-2015, 04:53 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
It's unfair and unjust but it's legal and it's business and it's a lesson to be learned.

So if it's calendar days why not give notice that you were moving out on 6/04 or 6/05? All you would have had to pay was a few days more.

did they accept the notice? what did they say at the time?
What's so unfair and unjust about it? If the LL was giving them a notice I'm willing to bet the tenant would want his full 60 days. That's the reason for a lease. It protects both tenant and LL.

Old 06-09-2015, 05:27 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,481,404 times
Everyone has already said what I was going to. Yes, it is legal, and no there isn't anything you can do about it.

However, the landlord can't double dip. Meaning if someone moves in prior to the end of the month you are paying for, you should get a rebate for those days. They can't collect rent from 2 people for the same time period.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:54 PM

741 posts, read 590,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
However, the landlord can't double dip. Meaning if someone moves in prior to the end of the month you are paying for, you should get a rebate for those days. They can't collect rent from 2 people for the same time period.
True, but good luck proving it AND forcing the LL to refund the difference now that the OP is moving to another city.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:54 PM

6,817 posts, read 11,545,464 times
How about asking your new employer for a little $$ assistance for this?

Old 06-10-2015, 04:03 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
What's so unfair and unjust about it? If the LL was giving them a notice I'm willing to bet the tenant would want his full 60 days. That's the reason for a lease. It protects both tenant and LL.
It's unfair to charge a person a whole extra months rent when they paid for 26 days of it, and missed giving the full 60 days notice by 4 days. Some people think business is business, but dirtbags are dirtbags and to me it is ill gotten gains and Karma will take care of it. You can choose to conduct your business in a fair manner or screw someone over according to the law. That's why I feel it's unfair, and I am entitled to my opinion.

Old 06-10-2015, 04:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Nothing illegal or unfair about it at all. It was clearly written in black and white when the notice was due. I have to wonder if those who think it's unfair were those kids in school who tried to turn in papers a day late? You know the ones..." I forgot, I couldn't find it, I was sick......"

There are deadlines for a reason and it's up to the tenant to submit their notice ON TIME. if we keep putting in 'grey' areas why bother having leases in 'black and white'? And if this was the landlord sending notice too late, oh boy!, the **** would hit the fan.

So you're out one months rent..learn your lesson and move on.

Old 06-10-2015, 06:26 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,760,107 times
the ones that think it's perfectly fair to charge someone for 86 days of rent because notice was 4 days late are the same nasty teachers that were miserable and wanted to punish the entire class for what on person did wrong. There is a different between what is right and wrong and what someone can get away with legally. It's morally wrong and it's borderline theft. There are good and decent people and companies who would let this slide and there are people who think it's free money and fair and if they hand the cashier a $10 bill and are given back 2 $20 bills by mistake knowing that this worker will have to pay it back they walk away happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting