Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 09:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,712,440 times

Advertisements

I just put my house for rent on Craiglist & received one interest back so far. I found rental application from rentlaw.com but I am very new to this.

any advice from experience landlord? What type of people should I look for? whom to avoid? What are some rent flags to watch out for

I don't want the type that calls every day for problem & ultimately I would like to build up to 2-3 rental property in my portfolio. This is just the first step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 10:01 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,240,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I just put my house for rent on Craiglist & received one interest back so far. I found rental application from rentlaw.com but I am very new to this.

any advice from experience landlord? What type of people should I look for? whom to avoid? What are some rent flags to watch out for

I don't want the type that calls every day for problem & ultimately I would like to build up to 2-3 rental property in my portfolio. This is just the first step.
I just placed a tenant and used transunion Smartmove for the first time and I highly recommend it. Been doing this for a while now and it was easy and awesome. Read your states landlord tenant law then go to bed then read it again then read it again the next day, know it 1000% it will save you countless times. Know your area, types of people who live there, and once you know that you will know what kind of tenant you want. I have a house in an okay area that I have tenant guidelines that I don't follow in the higher income areas.

Be VERY wary of evictions (this is the one rule I don't follow as closely in my lower income rental) and keep firm to the 2.5 times income rule. Be honest with your tenants and know the contract inside out and go over it with them clause by clause when they sign it.

And most importantly never accept partial rent.

Old 06-19-2015, 10:21 PM

199 posts, read 384,379 times
Place your rental online using postlets to get posted to zillow and trulia and other websites and etc.

Print out an online application that lists references, previous address and etc, license # and etc. so you can call their references to verify the information and etc.

As AZ Manager has said use mysmartmove thats powered by transunion, it is SUPER easy to use, you can create your property, then if someone wants to apply for it make sure they put their email down on the paper app form and then send them a request and it will say so and so is requesting you to fill out the online thing on mysmartmove and etc. You can choose to pay for it or make them pay for it, it's only 35 dollars which isn't too bad of a price. The results are instant and you get eviction report, credit report, background check, any collections on their credit, judgements and etc

Old 06-19-2015, 10:58 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Yup that's who I use. Trans union Smart Move.

What you want to do is sit down and write a set of minimal standard rules fir applicants. Then apply those equally to all applicants. And you can have as many or as few standards as you wish. You don't even have to run a check. You don't even have to have a written lease.

Example for you

Credit score XXX or higher
No evictions
No judgements
No bankruptcy
3x rent to income. Minimum 2.5 which to me it's bare bones.
No more than XX% Debt to income ratio
No felony/drug record
No pets
No smoking

You need to understand you cannot discriminate on certain things. Sex, race, age, income etc.

You need to have every applicant full out a application form and pay a fee. Some states limit how much you can charge to run the application.

Do a background check. Doesn't matter how nice they are, or what they tell you. People will lie to you with a straight face if they think that's what you want to hear.

If they are over 18 they get checked and they are listed on the lease as tenants. The only occupants are minors. Everyone else is named.

I always tell people to park in the garage/driveway and I meet them outside. Not because I care what they drive how cheap or expensive it is. I want to see its condition. If it's filthy inside and out most likely that's how they are. Slobs.

Try and do a lot more on the phone screening otherwise you'll be running around like a chicken. 70-75% of my denials are basically over the phone. I ask if they meet x requirements and usually don't. I move on. I don't dwell on it. They may be nice people and just had a bad break. I don't know. I'm not being mean or rude. I simply apply the rules to everyone.

Have a lease written by a RE lawyer, and yes it's gonna cost a few hundred bucks but you're looking at a huge issue if you use a boiler plate type lease. I can punch holes in a lot of those leases. They are crap for the uninformed. Read and understand your lease.

Have your paperwork in PDF form. When a tenant signs lease they always sign first, then send to you. You review and look for changes or mistakes and only after looking it over you sign. You never sign first.
Scan all paperwork. Keep it on a back up hard drive and hard copy.
File cabinet with a lock and key. It's sensitive info. Be aware of that.

Never take 3rd party checks for rent.
Never accept partial rent

Know the beginning process of eviction, 3 day pay quit, 3 day resolve or quit etc.

Old 06-20-2015, 04:04 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Never accept partial rent

why not?

Old 06-20-2015, 04:11 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,783,775 times
Read the book Landlording. And you don't accept partial rent - you begin the eviction. Biggest mistake we ever made. It's a tenant testing to see if they can string you along. Take the biggest security deposit your state allows. It's your cushion against the eviction.

Old 06-20-2015, 05:41 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Take the biggest security deposit your state allows. It's your cushion against the eviction.
It depends on your market, most people won't pay more than a month for deposit. In some areas first and last and deposit is customary, in others only first and deposit.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:01 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
why not?

Because you should be able to pay your rent in full every month. If you can't, then you have either a budgeting issue or an income issue. Neither one should effect your ability to pay rent and neither one are a concern for the landlord.

Partial rent just stalls the inevitable eviction to come...it bides time for the tenant.

Old 06-20-2015, 06:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
It depends on your market, most people won't pay more than a month for deposit. In some areas first and last and deposit is customary, in others only first and deposit.

It doesn't matter what 'most' people will do...those than can't afford the required deposit, can't afford the unit and those are the ones you want to avoid renting to.

OP: Don't make deals with applicants who don't have money on hand to pay your required move in monies. Don't take partial deposits, don't take partial rent, don't take partial anything...you're running a business; not a charity.

Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Read this site from front to back and then AGAIN. Read about every step from the landlord's perspective and then read the tenant's perspective. Google your state landlord/tenant law handbook, usually every state has one online in PDF form. Read that one too.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/landlords

And I hate to say it, but be proactive at every step and protect yourself and your tenant too. Anticipate the worst BUT treat your tenant the best. Do offer quarterly pest control and use that time to inspect the property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting