Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:06 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyuk17 View Post
But they can still squat. You don't have to do a full $59 search. Maybe a $19 search. TENANT SCREENING PRICES
AFAIK the way the law works I would have to continue paying for utilities if they refused to leave.
And if I'm not mistaken you can't take more than first and last month's rent (plus deposit). Would be nice to collect all 3 months of rent up front.

I might also rent my home to someone (ex- a family) who is looking to take their time getting to know the area and shop for a home.
That's true, they can squat. However, if there is no lease and there are no bills or mail in their name, it's going to be hard for them to argue that they can legally stay there.

Can you charge per week instead of by the month? Just ask for 12 weeks worth of rent? Would that violate the law?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2015, 12:00 AM

169 posts, read 152,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
That's true, they can squat. However, if there is no lease and there are no bills or mail in their name, it's going to be hard for them to argue that they can legally stay there.

Can you charge per week instead of by the month? Just ask for 12 weeks worth of rent? Would that violate the law?
It's based on days stayed. I believe it's either 28 or 30 days in Cali. After that they legally become a tenant -- not a "guest". Then it takes 3 to 6 months to take them to court to get them out.

Old 07-05-2015, 12:15 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,709,862 times
Quote:
It's based on days stayed. I believe it's either 28 or 30 days in Cali. After that they legally become a tenant -- not a "guest". Then it takes 3 to 6 months to take them to court to get them out.
Ouch. That sounds lovely. I'd just wait for them to go to the store, then put all of their stuff on the lawn. No way the cops would force you to let them back in without a lease.

Old 07-05-2015, 03:51 AM

169 posts, read 152,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Ouch. That sounds lovely. I'd just wait for them to go to the store, then put all of their stuff on the lawn. No way the cops would force you to let them back in without a lease.
Cali is so f***ed up that you can't do that either. That would be cause for them to sue you.

There are professional squatters who know that you'll have to spend a lot of money in court to get them out so they try to get a settlement (money) out of you.

Here's a prime example of what can happen... http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nati...icle-1.1864274

Old 07-10-2015, 03:00 PM

253 posts, read 228,858 times
Here are a few rules I always follow when screening my tenants:

1) Always meet applicants in person at least twice. Trust your gut, watch for body language, and look at things like how they treat their car (that's probably how they'll treat your property).

2) Require at least two references from former landlords or employers only; no teachers, relatives, friends, etc. Call these people and talk to them on business lines if possible.

3) Charge an application fee to cover the costs of a full background check. Personally I always use Tenant Screening Services | Renter Background Reports - MyRental.com for the screening.

Old 07-10-2015, 04:42 PM

784 posts, read 729,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanW127 View Post
1) Always meet applicants in person at least twice. Trust your gut, watch for body language, and look at things like how they treat their car (that's probably how they'll treat your property).
This will likely fail a fair housing test. Especially a adverse impact suit.

Quote:
You can use pacer.gov to search for civil case history but this database is very spotty. Is there a better option?
Pace is for federal cases, not state cases. Use your own states court search.

Screening them is one thing. Knowing what to look at after you screen is another.

I use a service to make all my checks. $40 and it's done in 2-3 days.

Stick to at least a 625 credit score, for ALL occupants. Even the 18 year old son still living at home.
Don't bother with National Criminal records search. Use a county level search.
Do a county level search in all counties on every address in the credit report.

Don't bother with past landlords. Too many lies and fake references.

I write about this topic in great detail on my home page/blog. Including my cash flow results.

Last edited by FIREin2016; 07-10-2015 at 04:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting