Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2015, 10:31 AM

35 posts, read 32,761 times

Advertisements

Met with an attorney. Says I have a solid case. Thanks for everyone's input. Pre-trial coming soon!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2015, 10:47 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammic View Post
Met with an attorney. Says I have a solid case. Thanks for everyone's input. Pre-trial coming soon!
Good for you! And good luck with your case! I am rooting for you

Please post back and let us know how it all turns out, okay?

Old 07-12-2015, 09:11 AM

I will :-)

Old 07-12-2015, 06:44 PM

does anyone know anything about a "bad faith estimate"? The attorney just mentioned it because the first itemized list not only equaled exactly my deposit but it is so different from the invoice that was sent. Also the invoice had parts blacked out so i couldnt see the company or person doing the work. Not sure what the judge would consider a bad faith estimate. worth looking into? dont want to come off greedy, just want what id owed.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:09 PM

Well sure. It is just as I, and others have said. They were grasping for straws, being deceitful on their means to keep your deposit, pushing the envelope, making things up, being shoddy, slimy and lying.

It is pretty obvious with their first attempt making it equal to your actual deposit and then when you actually challenged them they had to scramble and come up with something they considered looked more 'legit' but it is backfiring on them and because they pretty much changed everything from their first list they screwed up because then it basically makes them over the first 30 days.

I am sure most judges will see what your PM company was trying to do and has probably done to many, many others out there but no one, or not many, have challenged it.

I don't understand why you ask if it is worth looking into(?) You said you filed. This is no different then what you have been stating all along as well as many of us have been stating. This should all be part of your defense in court. Exactly why I am rooting for you!

Last edited by Corn-fused; 07-12-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 07-12-2015, 07:22 PM

I have a feeling that you may see them wanting to settle out of court once they get the papers served on them. At least if they have any brains they would.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:24 PM

Yes I have already filed. I didnt ask the attorney if I could ask in court for 2x the amount or if it had to be done when filing the claim. Just wasnt sure.

Old 07-12-2015, 07:40 PM

Your award is subjective based on this:

If the tenant does object to your claim:
The matter could go to court. Whichever party wins will be entitled to the court awarded sum, plus will be allowed to recover court costs and attorney fees from the losing party.

Florida Security Deposit Law for Rental Property

But I would be pretty optimistic that they will award more due to the bad faith estimates, charging for normal wear and tear, complete different itemizations and possibly a penalty for being over 30 days if they rule that it was.

This may help some on preparing for court and what to expect:

Filing a Security Deposit Lawsuit in Florida Small Claims Court
http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...ims-court.html

Last edited by Corn-fused; 07-12-2015 at 07:53 PM..

Old 07-13-2015, 07:08 AM

Thank You! great info!!! my pre-trial hearing is 8/11- I will let you know how everything worked out. Thanks for educating me on these issues. You have been a huge help! Im feeling confident!!!!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:18 PM

Update--
Just got a call from the management company concerning my deposit. The landlord wants to settle for $600. This is what I asked for in my demand letter and she refused. My filing fees and process server costs were over $300. Im now out more money and really dont want to eat these extra costs. Im thinking she knows she is going to lose and just wants to settle. She said if I proceed with court her lawyer will represent her. So torn. I want it to be over, but knowing Im now out more money because she refused to settle sickens me. I dont want her to do this to her next tenant. Do I proceed to court or settle. Need advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting