Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 12:07 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,454,139 times

Advertisements

These apartments have horrible ventilation.
The only venting to the outside is bathroom air fans and windows/patio doors.

So you can imagine how things could linger and not be allowed to "air out" or not properly attending to things that disperse things in to the air.

As for ac I have cleaned everything myself to make sure it was done properly with bleach and water to rule out anything on our end. We have large "window style" units so their is no duct work to speak of, just drip pans and coils. Their was no water or moister or dampness present in wall cavity where they rest. The units in our space where just dusty from usage, not dirty in any way that would be a health concern.

Another possibility we had thought of was the ac units downstairs being dirty and smelling up the air enough to travel through the walls, but I do not think that could be the case since whoever would be in the environment would be breathing that in everywhere in their living space at a level I'm not sure anyone could manage and besides the units themsleves are off on times we have this coming in to our area.

As I was leaving this morning I caught the office staff posting warnings in our building hallways reminding people these are non smoking buildings. It could just actually be traces of someone's built up smoke finding its way to us from the other side of the building.

If their was notices posted it means their has been complaints by others in our building.

In any event we have someone coming to test for mold in the walls where this issue is present. Our leasing office was hesitant but agreed to allow it when I told them I would pay for it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 12:23 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Good luck! Please report back and let us know how things go and what you find out.

Old 07-16-2015, 11:02 AM

Long story short

New tenant was caught allowing friends to use apartment as their own.
Friends where using apartment however and whenever they liked
Friends where smoking inside, burning incense and using vapes for weed smoking.

Tenant has beem given a 3 day eviction, I was not the only one complaining from the looks of it.

I have been away form the apartment for a week but this is the information i came home to from our leasing office

That solves that...I hope.

Old 07-16-2015, 01:09 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
YAY! That is great news! So glad the problem is solved and that you can now 'breathe' easier, in more ways than one.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:41 PM

2,763 posts, read 5,759,472 times
Using vapes for weed smoking. It doesnt work that way.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
Default vapor like

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
For starters I'll try my best to describe the smell.

Musty and "vapor-like"

I have my theories on what it is but cannot confirm anything (obviously)
The timeline of it starting lines up with a new tenant living below pretty much to the day.

At first it was just a "what the heck smells" issue, but now it has gone to this smell is making me get headaches and have sinus issues as time has progressed onwards and it has persisted.

I have gone to my management office and explained this is more of a health concern for everyone living in our apartment and that its appearance seems to line up with the new tenant below. I also detailed what walls are affected since it is only ever happening in the same areas/outtlets

They more or less handwaved it as nothing and offered to clean our ac units (yah...I have no idea how that related) proceeded to talk around the issue and proceeded to tell me that it was my responcibilty to find the source in the way of "unless you know who is doing it we cant do anything"

I "more or less" told them to treat it seriously and stop talking around the issue I am presenting to them and told them their building was nkt my issue to handle.

It's obvious they do not want to do anything.

Again, I have no idea what this is it could be mold or leaking pipes starting to smell in the summer heat for all i know. I am concerned about the health issues more so than anything. The only reason the new tenant was brought in to this was the timeline matched the issue.

My issue now seems to be an unmotivated leasing office who doesnt want to get involved but is great at offering apologies.

Any suggestions?

I have contimplated contacting the management company who they are under to voice my concerns to
IS THIS SOMETHING THAT COULD BE REPORTED TO EPA? Is it prevelant all the time where law enforcement, fire dept could check it? Do other tenents smell the same odor? Maybe with bedbug problem many cities are having could be the remaining odor left for several days. Keep us posted if you find out.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:50 PM

936 posts, read 2,202,898 times
It's always nice to get a solution to a problem like this.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:54 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,642,078 times
Well rego you can disregard my original post to you. Seems like this got settled and good for you.

Old 07-16-2015, 03:13 PM

Basically the horrible smell was just a combination of many different things happening all at once....which is why it was so damn hard to figure out what it may be. We where just getting what could actually find us through the walls.

I never go to the bottom level of our building where they where located so I never noticed the people coming and going.

In talking to someone who lives below on the same floor today they have said their must have been 10 or more people coming and going from that one apartment at all times but they where never noisy or caused issues otherwise.

They complained about the smell along with the others on that floor which is why the notices where posted all over out building at one point.

The leasing office says they where aware of the issue but couldn't talk about it due to the "nature of the eviction"

....why they couldn't tell me not to pay to have mold testing done and avoid the specifics of their tenants is beyond me. I'm a little miffed on how they handled our complaint

Oh well...as long as it stops and stays stopped that's all I really care about

Old 07-17-2015, 08:16 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
If you're healthy and happy, ignore the smell. They're not going to start tearing open walls to find out what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting