Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2015, 07:53 PM

2 posts, read 10,438 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I'm currently in month 13 of an 18 month lease (moving out end of month 14 for job relo) in CA, and I have provided the property management company (large property management company in CA) with my notice to vacate with 30 days notice as agreed upon in the lease. Everything is going according to the terms (I'll be rent responsible until a tenant is found, which makes sense).

I was surprised to find a letter asking that I pay back concessions (1 month's rent). Is this reasonable given the 1 month free rent for the first month of the lease was provided whether or not I signed a 12 or 18 month lease? The concession was provided as the company was still developing apartments around my unit thus noise etc would be a factor. It was not tied to the duration of lease.

I have not heard back from the property management company yet. Any one face a similar situation? It confuses me that the concession needs to be paid back given that it was provided whether or not I signed the 12 or 18 month lease. As such once 12 months has expired, I would assume the benefit is realized regardless of the length of lease. The leasing agent offered the 18 month lease to protect against the usual annual rent increase, and I agreed. No other benefit/concession was provided.

Any advice/tip is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by SumDanceKid; 07-26-2015 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: Additional Info: in California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 07:55 PM

9,875 posts, read 14,112,458 times
What does your lease say about the rent concessions?

Old 07-26-2015, 08:01 PM

2 posts, read 10,438 times
I looked over it last night, and I'll be taking another look later to make sure I didn't miss anything. I did not see anything on concessions. I found the standard language, which has been applied (tenant is rent responsible until a tenant is found).

Old 07-26-2015, 08:20 PM

784 posts, read 728,323 times
My leases say 2 month's rent for a termination. Most times, a job relocation that pays moving expenses will pay it for you. It's part of moving.

Of you can pay rent until they find a tenant, of course they have no incentive to do that.

Pay the month penalty, lock in your worst case cost.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:09 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
If you read your lease carefully it should mention that if the lease is terminated early you owe all back rent concessions. If it's not in the lease, look at your original paperwork (receipt) for you first monies paid. But, it should be in the lease.

It's not unreasonable. They gave you a discount with the understanding you were going to stay the full length of the lease, if you break it, you pay the penalty AND the discount to be released from the lease.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:41 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Pretty normal that if they give you a free months rent for signing a lease that you have to pay for that month if you don't honor the lease.

Maybe if they made an error with their paperwork you might weasel out of it, but your chances aren't good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting