Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2015, 02:52 PM

2 posts, read 4,255 times

Advertisements

I have been staying in an apartment from Greystar since the last 2 yrs. When my lease was coming to an end, I went to the office the give a notice and mentioned that I might need to extend by a week or so in case my house is not ready and will month to month for that period. I was verbally told that I need not do anything as it will end up being month-to-month for that period. So, after 30 days, with another 30 days left on my lease, I went to give a notice (as my house is ready) and am surprised that they want me to still give a 60 month notice since I'm still under lease I tried to explain to them that I came in about a month back to do the same, but since I do not have a written proof, I'm running into problems. I've to go back tomorrow and talk to them and try to convince them again about this. Have anyone run into this kind of issue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2015, 06:51 PM

8,435 posts, read 10,530,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qsamrent4 View Post
I have been staying in an apartment from Greystar since the last 2 yrs. When my lease was coming to an end, I went to the office the give a notice and mentioned that I might need to extend by a week or so in case my house is not ready and will month to month for that period. I was verbally told that I need not do anything as it will end up being month-to-month for that period. So, after 30 days, with another 30 days left on my lease, I went to give a notice (as my house is ready) and am surprised that they want me to still give a 60 month notice since I'm still under lease I tried to explain to them that I came in about a month back to do the same, but since I do not have a written proof, I'm running into problems. I've to go back tomorrow and talk to them and try to convince them again about this. Have anyone run into this kind of issue?
I would think that since it will be month to month at that point they would only be able to collect that month's rent but they would have to take you to court which is probably not likely. If it were me, I would give the notice then move and see if they bill me. You may end up forfeiting your deposit though. What does your state law say about it?

Old 09-09-2015, 08:59 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
You didn't give a notice when you went in to say you were moving but didn't know when. Notice needs a firm move-out date, not "at the end of my lease I might be here for an additional week or two, or maybe more"

Old 09-09-2015, 09:42 PM

13,131 posts, read 20,995,508 times
Your profile show Texas so if the lease states 60 days it's 60 days. As OWS stated, proper notice requires you either terminate at the end of the lease or on a specific date. Open ended notices of may this or might that are not acceptable notices. You can try and play dumb and pout and cry, but in the end, they have the law backing them. You can also take your chances and move as scheduled and all they may do is take your security deposit to cover that period providing you had no additional expenses for damages.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:35 PM

2 posts, read 4,255 times
I agree about giving a firm timeline. but the apartment folks did not say the same when I went to give a notice. If they would have said that I need to give a firm date, then I would have. instead they said that it is month to month and I do not have to do anything then, and that is what i'm having a problem with. Since they said that it is going to be month to month, I went to give a months notice. Learnt my lesson the hard way. Looks like I cannot take ones word and need to always have it in writing.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:39 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,824,033 times
Quote:
... So, after 30 days, with another 30 days left on my lease, I went to give a notice...
So you were not month to month but still under your regular lease? Then your lease's terms still prevail.

Old 09-23-2015, 03:49 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
I agree about giving a firm timeline. but the apartment folks did not say the same when I went to give a notice. If they would have said that I need to give a firm date, then I would have. instead they said that it is month to month and I do not have to do anything then, and that is what i'm having a problem with. Since they said that it is going to be month to month, I went to give a months notice. Learnt my lesson the hard way. Looks like I cannot take ones word and need to always have it in writing.

You did have it writing...it's called your lease. They're not going to hold your hand and make sure you do everything you need to do...you're an adult..follow the lease you signed.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:16 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
My GreyStar lease says 60 Days Written Notice Before the Lease Ends. IF they don't hear in Writing when the lease ends the Lease becomes Month to Month THEN they need 30 Written notice of move.

Since your lease is still in effect then you need to give them 60 day written notice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting