Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:43 AM

366 posts, read 493,746 times

Advertisements

I just got into a lovely new place and it's a 1 bedroom. The lease says I can have a visitor for up to 14 days without having to notify them, but when I asked about it the leasing agent was telling me not to have any visitors because "they check" and you can't have people living with you etc.

I think maybe she thought I was moving someone else in, when I was asking if my sister could stay a few nights until her new apartment is ready to move in. Definitely wouldn't be more than 14 days and probably much less than that.

Is it not allowed?

Also, because I am in a one bedroom and have 3 occupants, would it not be allowed to ever have a visitor or are visitors not included in the occupancy since they're not residents?

I'm just wondering because my nieces (ages 8 and 9) like to have sleepovers and though we don't have a huge amount of guests, I want to be able to let my sister stay there a few days or have those sleepovers without causing a stir. Usually sleepovers are one night or sometimes a weekend but not every weekend.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 09:50 AM

2,928 posts, read 3,549,370 times
I can understand her position. I've had tenants move many more people than what they originally stated would be on the lease. It causes more wear on the house as more people are living in there. It's especially frustrating because a landlord might have several applicants who he is considering and picked you because he foresaw less wear on his rental only to be bait and switched.

Having said that. Written contracts trump verbal ones. And it's difficult for them to prove a person is living there that is not listed on the lease.

Further you are actually using that exemption in the way it was meant to be used. Personally I wouldn't say anything to them, just have your friend stay with you but if they try to evict you you have the written agreement to argue in court that allows you to have guests.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:54 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
I am not even sure why you even asked management if your lease states guests are allowed up to 14 days. They can't do a thing if your guests are not staying over 14 days and you are not doing anything else against what is in your lease. The only way they can do anything is if the guest is causing damage or disrupting other tenants or anything else illegal or against the rules of the lease.

Old 09-25-2015, 10:12 AM

366 posts, read 493,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
I am not even sure why you even asked management if your lease states guests are allowed up to 14 days. They can't do a thing if your guests are not staying over 14 days and you are not doing anything else against what is in your lease. The only way they can do anything is if the guest is causing damage or disrupting other tenants or anything else illegal or against the rules of the lease.
Yeah, I'm just paranoid about doing everything right. I even asked if we could have a fish because they kept asking if I had "pets" but she explained that by "pets" she only meant cats and dogs. I just always feel better being on the up and up.

Thanks for your responses!

Old 09-25-2015, 10:32 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Exactly what does the lease say about 14 days? 14 days during the entire lease period (1 year) ? Or 14 consecutive days? Go by what's in the lease.

Old 09-25-2015, 01:00 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
I wouldn't have the kids over while your sister is there. Laws says 3 but with the kids sister & you that's 4. Don't give them an excuse!

Old 09-25-2015, 01:30 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,699,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
I wouldn't have the kids over while your sister is there. Laws says 3 but with the kids sister & you that's 4. Don't give them an excuse!
Those rules/laws, if applicable, only apply to people actually residing there or permanent tenants, not to those defined as temporary guests.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:50 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,834,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corn-fused View Post
Those rules/laws, if applicable, only apply to people actually residing there or permanent tenants, not to those defined as temporary guests.

Under that logic, a tenant can have 50 or more "temporary guests" living in her apartment for 14 days. Sorry, where I live that is called a violation of occupancy laws and fire code laws...and highly illegal.

Old 09-26-2015, 03:04 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Just call the manager and tell them that your sister is going to be visiting for a week. You are ok under your lease because she won't be there long and if you call the manager to say you will have a house guest, they won't see her and suspect that you are trying to sneak in an extra tenant.

Communication makes life easier, folks.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:17 PM

863 posts, read 1,195,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LolaSonner View Post
Yeah, I'm just paranoid about doing everything right. I even asked if we could have a fish because they kept asking if I had "pets" but she explained that by "pets" she only meant cats and dogs. I just always feel better being on the up and up.

Thanks for your responses!

.....and that's how nice people get screwed. By making sure that you're always "in the right", all you do is draw attention to yourself while scumbags who stay silent get away with all kinds of violations. Do yourself a favor......try to be a little less forthcoming when dealing with rules that might skirt grey areas. Just use a little common sense and you'll be fine. I'm sure management has plenty of other worries without you putting yourself on their radar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting