Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 07:54 PM

2,928 posts, read 3,552,974 times

Advertisements

I would ask you for more info such as how long has this place been on the market for but only the landlord would know that. This is my advice...

If you are certain you want out of the lease agreement the best thing to do would be to call tomorrow in the morning and tell him you have to break the lease. The landlord has been holding the rental for only 1 day so he hasn't had much of an "opportunity loss". I say try to get most of your deposit back if you can. He may try to hold the entire amount. Be polite but ask him to be reasonable.

The problem in these situations is that it's difficult to know what could happen in the future. Just because you believe he could rent it in a week may not actually be true. Maybe it takes him a month and if he returns your deposit that was actually money he was owed due to your not following through on your contract. Because of that it might be OK to offer to surrender a portion of the security. Start with $100 and go from there. Maybe you can get better advice in the New Jersey forums specific to the city and see what other landlords think would be fair. Goodluck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 07:55 PM

25 posts, read 147,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Anything is possible but only your particular landlord is the one who has to agree to any changes.
Of course! Completely agree with you. If you were a landlord, would you be willing to?

I know the worse case is he'll say no and I stay the full year but may end up on the wrong foot with him because of it.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrhazy View Post
I would ask you for more info such as how long has this place been on the market for but only the landlord would know that. This is my advice...

If you are certain you want out of the lease agreement the best thing to do would be to call tomorrow in the morning and tell him you have to break the lease. The landlord has been holding the rental for only 1 day so he hasn't had much of an "opportunity loss". I say try to get most of your deposit back if you can. He may try to hold the entire amount. Be polite but ask him to be reasonable.

The problem in these situations is that it's difficult to know what could happen in the future. Just because you believe he could rent it in a week may not actually be true. Maybe it takes him a month and if he returns your deposit that was actually money he was owed due to your not following through on your contract. Because of that it might be OK to offer to surrender a portion of the security. Start with $100 and go from there. Maybe you can get better advice in the New Jersey forums specific to the city and see what other landlords think would be fair. Goodluck.
Thank you for your detailed explanation.
I really appreciate it!

I will think it over tonight and decide what to do.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:44 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
At a very minimum, you will need to give a 30 day notice. Maybe it gives the lease breaking fee in your lease.

What I would do if you were my tenant has no bearing on what your landlord would do. You are going to have to ask your landlord.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
Ok I gotta ask. What made you want to change your mind so fast after signing the lease? What about the place don't you like? Just curious!

Old 10-03-2015, 08:37 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife_Girl View Post
Of course! Completely agree with you. If you were a landlord, would you be willing to?

I know the worse case is he'll say no and I stay the full year but may end up on the wrong foot with him because of it.
It depends on the situation, my mood and if I thought you had a sincere issue or renters remorse.
I cannot honestly answer a "what if" question.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
It depends on the situation, my mood and if I thought you had a sincere issue or renters remorse.
I cannot honestly answer a "what if" question.
Sounds fair enough, thanks.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:27 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I spoke with the LL and he understood my concerns. He was very nice about it and I was able to back out without any ramifications.

Lesson learned, don't jump the gun.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:31 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLife_Girl View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies.

I spoke with the LL and he understood my concerns. He was very nice about it and I was able to back out without any ramifications.

Lesson learned, don't jump the gun.
I am glad it worked out this time.

Old 10-03-2015, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I am glad it worked out this time.
Thank you! Me too. I felt bad so I compensated him for the cost to repost his vacancy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting