Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 11:15 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times

Advertisements

I don't see what state you are in but I also only skimmed through your ramblings. Month to month is normally the only acceptable verbal agreements so unless your state law says otherwise it doesn't matter how long he said he was going to stay. Most states allow 30 day notice in month to month agreements and some even allow 15 day notice which means he would only owe you the 30 days or 15 days from the time he gave notice. Because that notice was in October and he hadn't paid any October rent yet he would actyally owe you for October in full and 5 days in November if the notice were 30 days and half that if it were 15 days. Utilities are paid after use so he shouldn't have paid you for September utilities in full, he was only there through a partial August, which leaves you short a couple hundred bucks at most. Doesn't seem worth it to me and I sue for way more than most people do because I have the time and courts on my side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2015, 04:35 PM

9 posts, read 8,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
I don't see what state you are in but I also only skimmed through your ramblings. Month to month is normally the only acceptable verbal agreements so unless your state law says otherwise it doesn't matter how long he said he was going to stay. Most states allow 30 day notice in month to month agreements and some even allow 15 day notice which means he would only owe you the 30 days or 15 days from the time he gave notice. Because that notice was in October and he hadn't paid any October rent yet he would actyally owe you for October in full and 5 days in November if the notice were 30 days and half that if it were 15 days. Utilities are paid after use so he shouldn't have paid you for September utilities in full, he was only there through a partial August, which leaves you short a couple hundred bucks at most. Doesn't seem worth it to me and I sue for way more than most people do because I have the time and courts on my side.
I'm in North Carolina. I apologize for my ramblings. I was very angry. And I'm not sure if it applies in my case, but I read somewhere just getting a judgement will affect his credit score or would be a negative when he tries to buy a house. So, you're right, it isn't a whole lot of money to most people (although it is when you're a poor grad student). I just wanted him to deal with some kind of consequence (lower credit score) for being a jerk. Well, time for some ice cream and the smooth tunes of Kenny G... hopefully, that will get me to calm down and think of more positive things in life.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:01 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
OP it's frustrating. I would just let it go if I were you. It's just not worth it. Take it as a lesson learned.
EVERYTHING in writing from this point with any tenants. I find it amazing how many rent with no lease agreement.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:51 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,107,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payit4wd View Post
I'm in North Carolina. I apologize for my ramblings. I was very angry. And I'm not sure if it applies in my case, but I read somewhere just getting a judgement will affect his credit score or would be a negative when he tries to buy a house. So, you're right, it isn't a whole lot of money to most people (although it is when you're a poor grad student). I just wanted him to deal with some kind of consequence (lower credit score) for being a jerk. Well, time for some ice cream and the smooth tunes of Kenny G... hopefully, that will get me to calm down and think of more positive things in life.
Why would you want to hurt him in any way. That is simply vindictive and does not help the world be a better place to live in. I hate to be harsh, but you and bf are an equal part of the issue in that you did not forsee the problem(s) that having a stranger share your home would be. Yes, you are probably very nice people otherwise. I guess I am reacting to the fact that so many of us want to place "blame" on someone else when a situation doesn't work out, when if fact we are usually all in it together and all culpable.

Old 10-13-2015, 07:50 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,704,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payit4wd View Post
Now "Let it Go" is stuck in my head..
And I recommend that you keep this song stuck in your head and chalk it up as a learning experience, change your leasing processes and get it in writing like you should have done, keep the emotion out of it and just move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting