Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 09:22 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by taralampley85 View Post
Hi, the leasing manager feels the need to harrasse me everytime she sees me. I am not on lease, however my mother and boyfriend are. I pay utilities and a portion of the rent. We have had code violations in our apartment on behalf of the rental company and we have contacted our local code enforcement office and we have refused to pay as it is our right. This is the reason I feel for the unfair treatment and harrassement. The leasing manager is stating that i do not have any rights, however I have researched county, city, and state statues and I printed out copies of this info and my mother who is a leasee will be providing a copy of this to the office manager. I need some advice on what the next step should be. Who or how do I contact someone for this?
First, this is the second post you've added to an old thread on the same issue. It would be better to combine your two posts into one and start off a new thread in order to avoid confusion and duplication (or you can ask a moderator to do so).

As far as this question is concerned, you personally can do nothing about anything because you're not a legal tenant of the unit. You're not on the lease and whatever you pay you pay to your mother and not to the LL. Depending on what your mother's lease says you may even be there illegally!

I hope your mother has fully researched your state laws concerning when and how you're allowed to withhold rent. This is something you can't do arbitrarily in most jurisdictions and more often than not requires a court hearing where a judge will decide whether or not a rent withholding is viable and, if it is, will arrange for an escrow account to be set up with the court until the issues can be resolved. Withholding rent illegally is cause for eviction.

I suggest your mother have a consultation with an attorney who specializes in landlord tenant issues. If this isn't affordable, she should contact her local Legal Aid offices and solicit their opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,239 times
my mother in law has changed locks on property we own she 90 its other family members thinking that they can get thier hands on some money when she dies we brought house of council 12 years ago it in our name what can we do

Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM

32,658 posts, read 48,053,996 times
This is an old post and the OP surely has something resolved by this time.

For future readers, though, NJ landlord tenant law is weighted towards the rights of the tenant to an extreme and unreasonable degree. It is important to know your own state's landlord tenant law and your local city laws instead of taking legal advice from strangers on the internet, especially if those strangers have never dealt with your local court system before.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janice cheetham View Post
my mother in law has changed locks on property we own she 90 its other family members thinking that they can get thier hands on some money when she dies we brought house of council 12 years ago it in our name what can we do
You have not provided enough information in an understandable way for anyone to be able to offer you advice here. Talk to an attorney.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:18 AM

1 posts, read 911 times
My neice has been living with me for about a year now. Has not paid a dime, and has been arrested numerous timesi won't her out do I need a eviction notice

Old 10-26-2013, 04:42 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,710,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rskipper54 View Post
My neice has been living with me for about a year now. Has not paid a dime, and has been arrested numerous timesi won't her out do I need a eviction notice
Yes, because she's legally established residency. You might want to contact Legal Aid in your area with more details.

Old 10-26-2013, 11:41 AM

542 posts, read 1,549,303 times
Quote:
Yes you need to give her a notice. I agree with STTR, contact a local eviction attorney. You may be able to serve your niece a notice to quit (which would get the ball rolling much faster than a termination of tenancy notice), depending on what crime she committed and where she did it. Look up local eviction attorneys and explain everything that has happened to see what your options are.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:27 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
It's also possible, if she's on probation, to contact her probation officer to see what can be done short of eviction.

But the first question is, have you asked her to leave? She just might leave voluntarily.

Old 10-26-2013, 04:30 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
To the OP from 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimsely1 View Post
Does anyone know if non-paying, sister-using, utterly annoying family members that live with you have tenant rights? One NJ realtor said I needed to give them notice to vacant since my house is for sale, another said I didnt as they pay for NOTHING.

Thanks!
and to rskipper:

Quote:

Yes, living there gives them tenants rights, you have to comply fully with the law. The police will refuse to do anything to remove them without an eviction.

Beyond that you can try negotiating, offer her $100 to leave and take her stuff with her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting