Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2015, 10:24 PM

13 posts, read 10,813 times

Advertisements

So my problem is this, my boyfriend and I moved to this apartment on March of last year, with a dog, of course we gave the security deposit for the apartment and they ask for a 250 pet fee, to which we agreed but the woman who did our contract said we could pay the pet fee with installment but she first needed it 85 to start, we said ok, at this place they had this promotion that the 1 month rent was free, so we didn't have to pay until the next month. The next month came to a due date, we pay our rent, which by the way has to be done online, but it was only the rent, the pet fee wasn't there like the woman said she would add it to our rent, I thought maybe they forgot... then, months passed and still no pet fee, I honestly had forgotten about, I had so many things on my mind , I lost my job, etc.. so now, they have new personal working at the office, and since our lease is coming to an end or renewal they noticed we hadn't finished paying the pet fee,so they called me to the office saying I had to pay it I said ok, then again they said they would add it to my rent, then rent came and no pet fee, I went to the office and asked what happened they say , that I have to add the pet fee on my rent, they now don't add it, I have to do it, which I don't want to do because I want that when I print my payment history says Pet Fee like it does says on the 85 we gave them, cause on the website only says Additional payment not referring to anything exactly anyways the rent came again and we didn't have the money to pay it, so I thought I could pay it next month with the rent and the 2 pet fees I should have left. So now the call me saying I have to pay the pet fee or the will charge me 125 late fee, which on the contract says that 125 late fee is for late rent payment or adtional payments and the pet fee is not and adtional payment is supposed to be a part of a security deposit fee for the pet. But they want me to pay it, oh and they want to charge 300 pet fee not 250 like I signed on my contract plus the 125 late fee they want to add, all because they never told from the beginning that I had to add the fee to my rent as adtional payment ... it was their error, and yes, I didn't pay the 85 pet fee last month but because I will add it to my next rent with the remaining 85, I don't think the 125 late fee is aplicable in this case... and my lease is up for renewal but we haven't finished all the paperwork yet.. I dot know what to do.. or if is fair that they are charging me 125 late fee for the pet fee... and that they want to charge me 300 not 250 total for the pet fee.. should I renew, not renew, pay all the money they are asking or pay for what I signed and not pay the late fee they're saying.. I really need help please
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2015, 10:31 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenpat View Post
So my problem is this, my boyfriend and I moved to this apartment on March of last year, with a dog, of course we gave the security deposit for the apartment and they ask for a 250 pet fee, to which we agreed but the woman who did our contract said we could pay the pet fee with installment but she first needed it 85 to start, we said ok, at this place they had this promotion that the 1 month rent was free, so we didn't have to pay until the next month. The next month came to a due date, we pay our rent, which by the way has to be done online, but it was only the rent, the pet fee wasn't there like the woman said she would add it to our rent, I thought maybe they forgot... then, months passed and still no pet fee, I honestly had forgotten about, I had so many things on my mind , I lost my job, etc.. so now, they have new personal working at the office, and since our lease is coming to an end or renewal they noticed we hadn't finished paying the pet fee,so they called me to the office saying I had to pay it I said ok, then again they said they would add it to my rent, then rent came and no pet fee, I went to the office and asked what happened they say , that I have to add the pet fee on my rent, they now don't add it, I have to do it, which I don't want to do because I want that when I print my payment history says Pet Fee like it does says on the 85 we gave them, cause on the website only says Additional payment not referring to anything exactly anyways the rent came again and we didn't have the money to pay it, so I thought I could pay it next month with the rent and the 2 pet fees I should have left. So now the call me saying I have to pay the pet fee or the will charge me 125 late fee, which on the contract says that 125 late fee is for late rent payment or adtional payments and the pet fee is not and adtional payment is supposed to be a part of a security deposit fee for the pet. But they want me to pay it, oh and they want to charge 300 pet fee not 250 like I signed on my contract plus the 125 late fee they want to add, all because they never told from the beginning that I had to add the fee to my rent as adtional payment ... it was their error, and yes, I didn't pay the 85 pet fee last month but because I will add it to my next rent with the remaining 85, I don't think the 125 late fee is aplicable in this case... and my lease is up for renewal but we haven't finished all the paperwork yet.. I dot know what to do.. or if is fair that they are charging me 125 late fee for the pet fee... and that they want to charge me 300 not 250 total for the pet fee.. should I renew, not renew, pay all the money they are asking or pay for what I signed and not pay the late fee they're saying.. I really need help please
Are you saying this has been going on since March 2014???

Old 12-10-2015, 10:40 PM

Yes, they were supposed to add the installment left over the next 2 rent payment I make, but they didn't and then the new staff said the same and they didn't add it so I went to the ask they say I have to add it not them, so last month I couldn't pay the extra 85 pet fee, so I thought I could just add it to my next rent plus the remaining 85. But now they say they will charge me 125 late fee because of the pet fee I didn't add last month..

Old 12-10-2015, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, they were supposed to add the installment left over the next 2 rent payment I make, but they didn't and then the new staff said the same and they didn't add it so I went to the ask they say I have to add it not them, so last month I couldn't pay the extra 85 pet fee, so I thought I could just add it to my next rent plus the remaining 85. But now they say they will charge me 125 late fee because of the pet fee I didn't add last month..
I would say they are justified, since it is nearly two years past due.

You acknowledged that you knew about the pet fee when you signed the lease. At any time when you had the money, even a little bit at a time, you could have taken it to the office and paid it. All the other details are really just excuses. Unfortunately, "having a lot on your mind" and forgetting are not acceptable reasons for non-payment.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:53 PM

Oops I meant 2015.

Old 12-10-2015, 10:55 PM

I understand but the thing is that they were the ones supposed to add it to my rent, at least that's what they said to me when I signed the lease. And it's not allowed to make payments at the office, o line only

Old 12-10-2015, 11:04 PM

Quote:
I understand but the thing is that they were the ones supposed to add it to my rent, at least that's what they said to me when I signed the lease. And it's not allowed to make payments at the office, o line only
That's what the "Additional Payment" tab was for.

Old 12-10-2015, 11:07 PM

So I have to pay the 125 late fee?

Old 12-11-2015, 01:24 AM

13,927 posts, read 39,302,018 times
You knew you had to pay why didn't you just add it to the rent payment.....

Old 12-11-2015, 01:45 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Depends on what state you're in. In CA, pet fees aren't legal. Any such fees are considered part of a security deposit and must be considered security deposit money and under those laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting