Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2015, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 3,089 times

Advertisements

I rent and recently our gas furnace started acting up. It's not heating properly. I notified the land lord. It took some time to find someone due to the time of year and everyone being busy. He got us a space heater in the mean time which could hear the apartment but raises the electric bill. The repair man got it to run but it stopped again the repairs man said it need to be retired due to old wiring. 2 wire to 5 wire. I told the landlord and he said ok he gave the repair man my number so I would be there so he can get in. The repaire guy cancelled forgot the reason but never came back several weeks ago. I just told my landlord which is my fault should of told him the day he cancelled.

But the electricity bill is gettin up there, is the landlord responsible for the electricity bill or a portion of it.

This is my first post also
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2015, 06:20 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,310,687 times
Well you Should have contacted the Repair guy. Call him NOW!

Old 12-13-2015, 07:52 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,692,777 times
From the title I pictured a family shivering in the dead of winter... glad to hear the owner provided alternative heating...

Remember... some of the additional electric is offset by gas savings...

Also, the new furnace will be more efficient for additional savings down the road.

Sounds like the owner is doing everything right... trouble shoot, repair and then authorizing replacement and providing alternative heating.

Have you approached the owner with a dollar amount for your net additional cost?

In my area... electric heat is about 30% higher than efficient gas heat... older units were not all that efficient.

Prepare a spread sheet and attach copies of the last few current bills and bills from the same time last year...

I would have no problem granting a one time rent credit for a otherwise excellent tenant and have done so for a water line break and the amount was easy to determine based on historical usage.

Old 12-13-2015, 08:08 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,263,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctguy01 View Post
I rent and recently our gas furnace started acting up. It's not heating properly. I notified the land lord. It took some time to find someone due to the time of year and everyone being busy. He got us a space heater in the mean time which could hear the apartment but raises the electric bill. The repair man got it to run but it stopped again the repairs man said it need to be retired due to old wiring. 2 wire to 5 wire. I told the landlord and he said ok he gave the repair man my number so I would be there so he can get in. The repaire guy cancelled forgot the reason but never came back several weeks ago. I just told my landlord which is my fault should of told him the day he cancelled.

But the electricity bill is gettin up there, is the landlord responsible for the electricity bill or a portion of it.

This is my first post also
I agree with Ultrarunner.

Hopefully you live where the temps have been ridiculously warm this far in to December so the difference in electric over the savings in gas won't hit you too hard.

A year ago it the high was in the low 40s where I live - hit 73F today….

Old 12-13-2015, 10:24 PM

32,663 posts, read 48,079,532 times
No, because there wouldn't be a high electric bill from the space heater if you hadn't let it slide for several weeks before following up.

To cover a lot of the cost of the extra electricity, your gas heat hasn't been running so your gas bill will be much lower.

Old 12-14-2015, 03:16 AM

Thank you for all of the responses I'll ask him to see if he will give me something towards the bill if not I'll just pay it. I've never had an issue with him anyways.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:00 AM

And when do You plan to call the guy to Fix the heater? Seems to me that would be your next step.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 AM

Katie1he was called already on Friday by landlord after I told him it wasn't working. The repair guy should be here either Monday or Tuesday. He is finishing up another job.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:53 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
LL doesn't owe your electric bill, but does owe you a functioning furnace. Document it. If the furnace is in your unit, do what he asks you about letting in repair man. If the furnace is in a common area, it's the LL's responsibility to give him access, although it would make sense for you to help with this if you can. Meanwhile, if LL doesn't do what he's supposed to, to fix problem, you can call the town inspector. If he comes by, and you aren't running the space heater, and temp is below a certain point (I think it's 62), town will mandate that he repair/replace the furnace. At the same time, you'd better start looking for your next place if you have to do this, because he's not going to renew your lease if you do call the town on him.

Old 12-14-2015, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
LL doesn't owe your electric bill, but does owe you a functioning furnace. Document it. If the furnace is in your unit, do what he asks you about letting in repair man. If the furnace is in a common area, it's the LL's responsibility to give him access, although it would make sense for you to help with this if you can. Meanwhile, if LL doesn't do what he's supposed to, to fix problem, you can call the town inspector. If he comes by, and you aren't running the space heater, and temp is below a certain point (I think it's 62), town will mandate that he repair/replace the furnace. At the same time, you'd better start looking for your next place if you have to do this, because he's not going to renew your lease if you do call the town on him.
LL Gave the OP the Number to the person that was to repair the furnace so THEY can figure out day & Time to do the repair. Far as the LL knew the Problem was Fixed weeks ago. Calling the Town on the LL I don't think so!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting