Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 01:06 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I'm really not on a lease right now am I? I signed a 1 year lease two and a half years ago. Has that lease since expired?
Yes and no...It has in that you only need to give 30 or 60 day notice to leave, and he only has to give 30 or 60 day notice to tell you to vacate, or raise the rent.

The rest of the lease is still in effect. If the lease said no dogs, you can't get a dog, if the lease said no parking on the grass, you can't park on the grass, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2015, 01:23 PM

149 posts, read 166,600 times
I think it depends on your state but I'm fairly certain that your lease has expired. Here if a new lease is not signed upon expiration of the old lease it automatically goes into a month to month lease agreement, the old stipulations still hold though. You can't go buying 100 lizards if the old lease says no lizards etc. But all those rules aside, legally 30 days notice (either from you or the landlord) would be required if a party wanted to terminate the agreement. Renters rights are easily accessible for each state online. Since you will be looking for a new place you should look into them. Things change every so often. When I rented I checked them out once a year (or more if there were issues) because the law is never static. It's good that you are on good terms with your landlord. He was probably anxious about how to open the subject with you. He might even know people who are renting properties out that he can refer you to.

Old 12-16-2015, 03:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times
It would be surprising if the lease didn't specify what happens at the end of the original lease term. Often it will indicate that it becomes month to month or another term such as a year.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:23 PM

10,099 posts, read 7,767,103 times
Well the landlord came out to the house tonight and discussed the situation with me. He didn't want to alarm me and make me worry.

He got an offer on the house from a friend of his wife. She had seen the house one day about a month ago and fell in love with it and made him an offer he couldn't refuse. She wasn't even looking at the house to buy it. She just saw it and had to have it. He says he doesn't even know if it will go through but I think it will.

He felt so bad about it and it has bothered him. I told him I'd do the same thing to him if the wheels were turned.

So he said he'd let me know as soon as he found out anything. I asked him if I'd have at least 30 days notice and he said for sure as if I'd have even more if I needed it. He's even asking around if anyone knows of a rental place for me. Oh well. Gotta stay positive.

Thanks for all the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting