Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 10:27 AM

10,073 posts, read 7,754,937 times

Advertisements

I just found out maybe 2 weeks ago that my rental home is selling. I found out by the appraiser when he was here doing the appraisal.

Then today the inspector is here doing his thing. I told the owner of the home that I would be here. I had no idea the potential buyer was going to come by. She came by with her 2 older kids and asked me if they could take measurements. Of course I'm not going to be mean and say NO. That's just not me. So they prance around and check it out and say to each other how they like this and like that and how cute, etc.

Here I am, still haven't found a place to go and losing this place and they just show up checking out my place in front of me knowing I'm in a pickle. Did they expect me to be excited for them and share all my knowledge of the home with them?

Also I rather rudely asked her why she set a closing date of Jan 22? My landlord is so so nice (or so I thought). He is the one that felt so bad for me and told me not to worry and they weren't going to just kick me out and would give me plenty of time to look around for a place to move to. He said he hated that it was the holidays, etc. He really did feel bad. He said don't rush, etc.

I have really been trying to find a place but didn't want to sign another lease until I for sure knew the house was going to sell. Owners even had their doubt if sell would go through. So 2 days ago I find out house for sure is selling. I missed out on 2 other rentals while waiting for the final word. So I had to start the search over again and in 2 days I'm still looking and so nervous I can't find a place and then here comes the new buyer all happy and excited and giddy about her new home and taking measurements, etc.

She said she only set the Jan. 22 closing date because that's what the attorney set. She said she had no word in it. Well, that's crazy. Don't the buyer and seller both have to agree on a closing date? It's a mutual decision.

Maybe it is just me to think it rude she show up like she did. She could have taken measurements after she had the house for sure. Don't do that in front of the person you are kicking out.

I really really really wanted to be classy during all this because I understand them wanting to sell when getting a great price. I really do but I think this buyer is being a big stink and think the owners could have communicated better with me and if you say don't rush, mean it or communicate with me that I need to rush.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 10:41 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
First and Foremost, focus on the fact that you need housing.
Read your lease, and determine how the new owners have to treat you as a tenant.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:43 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
It's not the buyer being a stinkbug, m'dear, it's your landlord. The buyer probably flat-out lied to you to avoid a confrontation when she said that the closing company had set the date -- the date is typically set as part of the negotiations between the buyer and the seller.

It's pretty commonplace for the prospective buyer to attend an inspection, so your landlord should have warned you about that -- in fact, we encourage sellers (and especially tenants) to LEAVE during an inspection so they don't have to listen to the buyer's plans to rip their beloved home apart. :-) Of course she's excited, and it was nice of you to welcome her.

But don't blame the buyer for your inconvenience -- put the blame squarely where it belongs, on your landlord. He felt bad for you? Well, maybe so -- but he sure didn't take care of you, if you have to find a new place before the 22nd. Ask the landlord if the new buyer is taking possession on the 22nd, or if the possession is later. The buyer may have some flexibility on when they have to move.

So stop ranting and start looking for a new place -- quick!

Old 12-31-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
First and Foremost, focus on the fact that you need housing.
Read your lease, and determine how the new owners have to treat you as a tenant.
Right now not on a lease.

Sure I was going to give him 30 days and he was going to at least give me 30 but when he said no rush, I took that to mean we'll put the closing date out so you aren't rushed. The buyer is a good friend of the seller.

Even though I knew no rush, I rushed and went out looking at places. I wanted to move as fast as I could. I wasn't just sitting back taking my time.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblackga View Post
It's not the buyer being a stinkbug, m'dear, it's your landlord. The buyer probably flat-out lied to you to avoid a confrontation when she said that the closing company had set the date -- the date is typically set as part of the negotiations between the buyer and the seller.

It's pretty commonplace for the prospective buyer to attend an inspection, so your landlord should have warned you about that -- in fact, we encourage sellers (and especially tenants) to LEAVE during an inspection so they don't have to listen to the buyer's plans to rip their beloved home apart. :-) Of course she's excited, and it was nice of you to welcome her.

But don't blame the buyer for your inconvenience -- put the blame squarely where it belongs, on your landlord. He felt bad for you? Well, maybe so -- but he sure didn't take care of you, if you have to find a new place before the 22nd. Ask the landlord if the new buyer is taking possession on the 22nd, or if the possession is later. The buyer may have some flexibility on when they have to move.

So stop ranting and start looking for a new place -- quick!
I can rant all I want. I have that right. Until you are in the same predicament, I wouldn't think you could understand. I am looking. I don't need to be told to look. lol

I know about closing set between seller and buyer so I call bull on her. Don't tell me your lawyer set up that date. Sure she will be all giddy about the house, but have some compassion and wait until you are not around the person losing the home. That was all I expected and thought would have been the classy thing to do....just my opinion.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:01 AM

43,265 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Right now not on a lease.

Sure I was going to give him 30 days and he was going to at least give me 30 but when he said no rush, I took that to mean we'll put the closing date out so you aren't rushed. The buyer is a good friend of the seller.

Even though I knew no rush, I rushed and went out looking at places. I wanted to move as fast as I could. I wasn't just sitting back taking my time.
Were you on a lease before, and it has expired?
Did it have terms stating that it would revert to a month to month lease when expired? That is common.
If so, did that lease give you rights that have to be honored at sale?

Etc....

Yes, finding a new place rather than duking it out with the LL and friend would be preferable, but it is possible that the January 22 closing date does not affect your rights as much as you might think.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:45 AM

4,578 posts, read 5,661,006 times
Quote:
I can rant all I want. I have that right. Until you are in the same predicament, I wouldn't think you could understand. I am looking. I don't need to be told to look. lol

I know about closing set between seller and buyer so I call bull on her. Don't tell me your lawyer set up that date. Sure she will be all giddy about the house, but have some compassion and wait until you are not around the person losing the home. That was all I expected and thought would have been the classy thing to do....just my opinion.
Buyers (and sellers) are not often logical, compassionate creatures -- especially to someone who has no bearing on the transaction (that would be you, dear.) I'm suspect the buyer was as surprised you were there as you were to see her.

Rant all you want to -- all it does is increase your blood pressure, your stress levels and leaves you feeling victimized and put-upon. But you were blaming the buyer, while I pointed out that the person you ought to be annoyed with is your landlord.

Why do you assume I've never been in that predicament? Shall I tell you about the time I had to move three times in two years in college because the landlords kept selling the houses out from under me? :-) For a while there, I was thinking of marketing myself to real estate agents: "Want your home sold? Lease your house to ME -- it will be sold in no time!"

Old 12-31-2015, 01:04 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
I just found out maybe 2 weeks ago that my rental home is selling. I found out by the appraiser when he was here doing the appraisal.

Then today the inspector is here doing his thing. I told the owner of the home that I would be here. I had no idea the potential buyer was going to come by. She came by with her 2 older kids and asked me if they could take measurements. Of course I'm not going to be mean and say NO. That's just not me. So they prance around and check it out and say to each other how they like this and like that and how cute, etc.

Here I am, still haven't found a place to go and losing this place and they just show up checking out my place in front of me knowing I'm in a pickle. Did they expect me to be excited for them and share all my knowledge of the home with them?

Also I rather rudely asked her why she set a closing date of Jan 22? My landlord is so so nice (or so I thought). He is the one that felt so bad for me and told me not to worry and they weren't going to just kick me out and would give me plenty of time to look around for a place to move to. He said he hated that it was the holidays, etc. He really did feel bad. He said don't rush, etc.

I have really been trying to find a place but didn't want to sign another lease until I for sure knew the house was going to sell. Owners even had their doubt if sell would go through. So 2 days ago I find out house for sure is selling. I missed out on 2 other rentals while waiting for the final word. So I had to start the search over again and in 2 days I'm still looking and so nervous I can't find a place and then here comes the new buyer all happy and excited and giddy about her new home and taking measurements, etc.

She said she only set the Jan. 22 closing date because that's what the attorney set. She said she had no word in it. Well, that's crazy. Don't the buyer and seller both have to agree on a closing date? It's a mutual decision.

Maybe it is just me to think it rude she show up like she did. She could have taken measurements after she had the house for sure. Don't do that in front of the person you are kicking out.

I really really really wanted to be classy during all this because I understand them wanting to sell when getting a great price. I really do but I think this buyer is being a big stink and think the owners could have communicated better with me and if you say don't rush, mean it or communicate with me that I need to rush.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I
It is more common for a buyer to be present at the end of an inspection than to not be. They are buying the home to live in why would they care in the slightest at how this is inconveniencing you and who do you think you are asking them why they picked the date to close they did. If I was buying that home and you asked me that I would tell you that you need to talk to your landlord then ignore you completely from there out. You should be happy they haven't requested to see the property every 3-4 days, it is what I do when I buy a property and my right according to the sales contract. You knew in November that your landlord was selling so why would you expect to be able to stay? This buyer has been nothing but accommodating and kind when they don't need to be, find a new place and stop hoping you get to stay and your "venting" isn't helping you any.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:09 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Is there a reason you could not have made a telephone call and asked about the status of the sale before you let the other two rentals go? I see no logical reason for you to wait for confirmation and the buyer is not the one kicking you out.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:15 PM

318 posts, read 372,505 times
I'd be angry at the landlord.

The buyer likely doesn't have a clue that this is all sprung on you. Not her fault, what's more exciting then buying a house?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting