Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 12:26 AM

6 posts, read 53,333 times

Advertisements

Hi, I received Section 8 last year after leaving my abusive husband.The police took me and my child to a Homeless shelter.We stayed there for 3 months,then we stayed in a motel until everything was approved.I live in an area with about 85% Single family homes so it was very hard to find a place to rent..Let alone one that accepted Section 8.

I found a beautiful condo.The rent amount was set and the 1 year contract was signed,but after I moved in the landlord started demanding an extra $200 per month because Hud is paying him less than he wanted.I told him via email that I can't afford to pay him anything else and that my Tenant Payment was already set based on my income.He called me,but I just continued to communicate through email just in case I need proof someday.

He calls me saying things like "I was trying to help you,I knew that you were living in a hotel and there are not many rentals out here so PAY me!"

I have 1 year and 4 months of college left.My current employer will Promote me once I graduate and I won't qualify for section 8 anymore.My son is also getting back to Normal and adjusting.

If I turn my landlord in to the housing office will I have to move before my lease is up? I read online that he will be kicked off the Section 8 Program,but where does that leave me? Living in a hotel was very traumatic.It was not a nice hotel because I did not have much money saved.I don't have any Family here.I'm so close to finishing school and not depending on Section 8 or My abusive Husband.It was SOOOOO hard staying in school and remaining sane during everything.I was finally back on my feet..or so I thought....

For a moment I thought about just paying him.I'm thinking that I only have a short time left in school,but What if he demands more,or what if I'm caught and kicked off of Section 8?

Both Options seem to leave me Back Homeless and in a Motel or back with the Abuser.

I tried to get 'anonymous' help from the section 8 office,but they want names.I'm basically trying to weigh all options before I proceed.If I lived in a Community with more rentals avalible this decision would be easier...then again I'm tiered of moving my kid around.

If anyone has any help/tips i'd greatly appreciate them,thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 12:41 AM

1,092 posts, read 3,435,430 times
I believe you can go to jail for paying him an additional amount. It's considered fraud.

Print out any correspondence you have and bring into your local housing authority (I'm assuming this who you applied through.)

They'll give you time to make arrangements if that's required, but they'll likely just warn him, and that'll be the end of it.

Do something against the rules/breaking the law, never ever pays.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 AM

900 posts, read 2,371,654 times
Ugh, you're between a hard place and a rock.

If it were me I'd talk to my Section 8 case worker, each Section 8 voucher holder has one, this is the person whose name appears on paperwork sent out to you. If you're not sure who this is then just call and give your voucher so they can be located.

The LL can't put you out for refusing to pay him extra but watch out he may find other ways to try and harass you. In the meantime just squirrel away the $200/month you contemplated giving him for your rainy day, before this is all over I believe you just might need it later. If I read correctly you said you ha e at least a year's lease, just be prepared to possibly having to move by that time.

If your LL continues to harass you you can also report this to Section 8, just make sure you keep a journal of every.complaint against your LL for Section 8 if things get worse. Watch out since they're this dirty to try and extort money from you they're also probably the type to say you damaged everything in the apartment then try to get reimbursed overly inflated prices. Just be careful. If I were you I would also set a hidden camera in your house, after things don't go his way it's no telling what this person who is so desperate for money would do.

Oh and whatever you do PLEASE DON'T GO BACK TO YOUR ABUSER! I'm hoping the best for you and your child.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litlove71 View Post
I believe you can go to jail for paying him an additional amount. It's considered fraud.

Print out any correspondence you have and bring into your local housing authority (I'm assuming this who you applied through.)

They'll give you time to make arrangements if that's required, but they'll likely just warn him, and that'll be the end of it.

Do something against the rules/breaking the law, never ever pays.

I just read the Hud website.It said that he would be investigated by Hud, fined and/or jail time.It also said that he would lose ALL of his Hud contracts,not just mine.

It says that I would lose my voucher If I pay him.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnyc View Post
Ugh, you're between a hard place and a rock.

If it were me I'd talk to my Section 8 case worker, each Section 8 voucher holder has one, this is the person whose name appears on paperwork sent out to you. If you're not sure who this is then just call and give your voucher so they can be located.

The LL can't put you out for refusing to pay him extra but watch out he may find other ways to try and harass you. In the meantime just squirrel away the $200/month you contemplated giving him for your rainy day, before this is all over I believe you just might need it later. If I read correctly you said you ha e at least a year's lease, just be prepared to possibly having to move by that time.

If your LL continues to harass you you can also report this to Section 8, just make sure you keep a journal of every.complaint against your LL for Section 8 if things get worse. Watch out since they're this dirty to try and extort money from you they're also probably the type to say you damaged everything in the apartment then try to get reimbursed overly inflated prices. Just be careful. If I were you I would also set a hidden camera in your house, after things don't go his way it's no telling what this person who is so desperate for money would do.

Oh and whatever you do PLEASE DON'T GO BACK TO YOUR ABUSER! I'm hoping the best for you and your child.
Thanks! I'm not sure who my caseworker is.I never heard from the Section 8 people once they gave me the voucher.They told me to come to the office when my income changes,and once a year to redo my income paperwork.I'm going to look over everything again and try to find the info,thanks.I'm scared that once I tell her/him they will immediately end the contract with my LL and I'll have to worry about being homeless.

YEP! You are right..He is trying to get money from me.He said that I violated one of the HOA rules and I had to pay $250.I never received any Rules.He said that I moved in another Tenant.(My son has a babysitter for 2 hours after school..)I asked for a copy of the rules and some type of proof on how this was determined.I also asked to see the Violation on paper.I have yet to receive any of these things but he emailed me and told me to bring him $300 in cash???? In my response I Once again asked for the above things,Why Cash?HOw did it go from $250 to $300 and if there was really a HOA fine how come I coudn't pay it at the office 20 feet away instead of driving 40 miles to his house? He has not responded yet...

I'm wondering if I should just Ignore him? If I ignore him,he can try to kick me out for not paying the HOA fee..Which I have No Problem paying If it was valid and documented.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:43 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Turn him in. Now. Your Section 8 caseworker will work with you to find something else. It's only going to get worse.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,679,222 times
Have you sent your LL an email with a link or copy of the section 8 regulations pertaining to your situation? Is he aware that if you turn him in he will lose the ability to lease to tenants under this program? Are you his only section 8 tenant? Do you know what other properties he leases out (in our area one can look on the county appraisal district website and find that info)... if you are the only property the situation is different than if the LL has multiple properties/tenants in the sec.8 program.

I think you need to further explore the issue of the babysitter. If the babysitter's time spent in your apartment is equivalent to that of another resident, it needs to be remedied immediately. You do need to understand the definition of "resident" as it applies to your lease and if the babysitter's time spent at your place constitutes another resident, you need to pay or find another mix of childcare.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:31 AM

912 posts, read 5,258,613 times
Turn him in to Section 8, he seems to be crossing the line between fraud and extortion.

No matter what, I am almost certain that he will not renew your lease and you'll have to move either way. Don't forget he owns the property and its his right to not renew your lease and evict you, if its necessary.

The difference between you turning him in or not, is that after he makes you leave; he may try the same trick on another person. So take a stand and save his next victim.

Good luck.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,053,067 times
It seems to me that the landlord is yet another abusive relationship you have found yourself in. For you to even think about paying him anything is proof of that. A babysitter is not a resident, he can't ask for more money, he has to abide by the lease.

I know you don't want to move, but be prepared when your lease is up. Kids are stronger than you think. They also know when you are stressed, as much as you try to put on a happy face. Report this landlord IMMEDIATELY!!! Do not pay him a dime except what is stated in the lease. When you move out take pictures of EVERYTHING. Disposable film cameras work just fine for evidence in case he tries to pull ANYTHING. Keep any and all voice mails. Always communicate in writing and save multiple copies of everything.

This is just another stepping stone to freedom and happiness. You have got this far, don't give up.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:48 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sashaboo View Post
I just read the Hud website.It said that he would be investigated by Hud, fined and/or jail time.It also said that he would lose ALL of his Hud contracts,not just mine.

It says that I would lose my voucher If I pay him.

Print that off and mail him a copy. Underline the "fined or jail time". If he doesn't back off, take him to housing court. I think that no matter what happens you are out at the end of your lease, so start accumulating your deposit money.

You must stand up to a bully.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting