Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 04:23 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonebone View Post
Gosh we found her on Craigslist. She seemed totally fine, and she has a Harvard email....(please don't me...) We would never thought people would just walk away like that

I'm not going to you...as I said..there are good and bad landlords on CL. There are good and bad sellers and buyers on CL...you just have to be cautious.

Have you sent letters (CRR) to any of these addresses??

You can sue her in small claims, just have the papers served at multiple addresses and add the cost to your claim. When she doesn't show up and you're awarded a judgment, you should be able to attach a lien or garnish wages. If she is US Army Reserve, I'd be calling them to get a hold of her.

That judgment will sit on her record for ten years and unless it's satisfied you can always renew it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 06:33 AM

8,674 posts, read 22,922,371 times
OP, in your certified letter advise her you will use all remedies to make yourself whole. And, let her know this includes notifying her command of her unresponsive attitude on a debt she owes. Then do it. Find out what area she's in, and send a certified mail to a CO. Maybe someone in the military forum can assist re: Reserve units and their structure. Most commands detest handling deadbeat claims. (Some may even try to desuade you trying this, but debt collectors use this technique all the time and a certified letter will get their attention)..

When you notify command, state she is nonresponsive to your communications and you are preparing to file suit.

This is what I would do. Your mileage may vary.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:23 PM

11 posts, read 10,627 times
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Very helpful. I will start the small claim court process.

I have sent demand letter to her to the address she requested in the lease, however she was not there to pick it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
I'm not going to you...as I said..there are good and bad landlords on CL. There are good and bad sellers and buyers on CL...you just have to be cautious.

Have you sent letters (CRR) to any of these addresses??

You can sue her in small claims, just have the papers served at multiple addresses and add the cost to your claim. When she doesn't show up and you're awarded a judgment, you should be able to attach a lien or garnish wages. If she is US Army Reserve, I'd be calling them to get a hold of her.

That judgment will sit on her record for ten years and unless it's satisfied you can always renew it.

Old 02-09-2016, 06:28 PM

Thanks a lot for the kind advice. I will try to put this on her record at all costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post
OP, in your certified letter advise her you will use all remedies to make yourself whole. And, let her know this includes notifying her command of her unresponsive attitude on a debt she owes. Then do it. Find out what area she's in, and send a certified mail to a CO. Maybe someone in the military forum can assist re: Reserve units and their structure. Most commands detest handling deadbeat claims. (Some may even try to desuade you trying this, but debt collectors use this technique all the time and a certified letter will get their attention)..

When you notify command, state she is nonresponsive to your communications and you are preparing to file suit.

Old 02-09-2016, 09:54 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMoney View Post

Actually, This is no longer allowed in the military. (I believe it was codified in either 2014 or 2015). They can only now act if a legal judgement was issued. Congress felt, and the DOD agreed that military service members have due process rights just like a civilian. There was a lengthy discussion and analyse of the new requirements in the Military forum of CD. Now, that doesn't mean all units have comprehended and put it into practice, so they may still help you out. However, if they ask for a judgement and you can't produce one they may just tell you to get lost. Additionally, the command is required to tell the service member that they have the legal right to file a complaint for violating the FCRA if their command is contacted specifically about or over the debt without the legal requirements of that state. Times are changing.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:06 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonebone View Post
Thank you so much for your suggestions. Very helpful. I will start the small claim court process.

I have sent demand letter to her to the address she requested in the lease, however she was not there to pick it up.

Did you send it CRR or just regular mail? If it was returned to you keep it unopened because it's proof you tried to contact her.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:44 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Did you send it CRR or just regular mail? If it was returned to you keep it unopened because it's proof you tried to contact her.

OP has already stated that she has been/is sending certified/return receipt.

Last edited by Corn-fused; 02-10-2016 at 04:55 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 09:12 AM

Thanks for all the support here!

We just filed the claim at the court this morning. I said I am not sure if defendant is in military service in the Affidavit. Will collect all the document and see what the judge will say in a month!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:28 AM

3,461 posts, read 4,705,814 times
Good luck! Please keep us posted on how everything turns out.

Old 03-12-2016, 06:24 AM

We were at small claims court yesterday.

The landlady was eventually served, and filed a counterclaim for "damages for defamation and slanders resulting in loss in employment opportunities". In a later phone call we got hold of her, she was upset that we contacted Army Reserve and somehow her commander talked to her. She thought we should have waited "patiently" since she had her property there and would not run away from 3000 dollars.

She also had a continuance request. And she did not show up at court.

We won the judgement, her counterclaim was dismissed without discussion. She now has 10 days to appeal.

Thanks for all the support I got from here. Hope our experience can be helpful to others!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting