Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 05:51 PM

151 posts, read 189,939 times

Advertisements

Honestly it blows my mind that some people wouldn't change their lightbulbs? I'm a 29 year old female, long-term renter. I change my lightbulbs the moment they need to be changed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 07:59 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,570,050 times
I usually buy a big 16 pack when I go through the place when I first have it advertized for rent. Replace any burned out bulbs. I usually leave the unused remainder in the box and I leave the box there. I tell tenants hey here are some bulbs. If one burns out here are diaries. If you run out replace them. If you can't or f'ing know how let me know ill come do it. This is just such a non issue. It's just not even something that would matter. It's only like $15-20 bucks. You having a bad day should never be a reason why you take it out on your tenants.

To me a tenant is a paying customer. Just like you want great service when you go to a restaurant, a hotel, bank etc you expect great service as a customer right? And you would be unhappy if you didn't get it but STILL had to pay for that service. At least I think you would. It's no different for your tenant. Granted bulbs are just a bit of a "really you can't do it" but ultimately my tenants are paying a good amount of money so yeah I have no issue taking care if there is a problem on my end. Yes even replacing a lightbulb if they are unwilling to.

Old 02-19-2016, 02:05 AM

741 posts, read 591,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I This is just such a non issue. It's just not even something that would matter. It's only like $15-20 bucks. You having a bad day should never be a reason why you take it out on your tenants.
I agree. That's why I came here to vent, looking for a tactful way to decline so I wouldn't take my unrelated bad mood out on them.

Quote:
I have no issue taking care if there is a problem on my end. Yes even replacing a lightbulb if they are unwilling to.
I'm glad you live close enough to your tenants that changing a light bulb is an easy task for you. I live far enough away that such a minor thing (which is the tenant's responsiblility) is extremely inconvenient. It's not possible for me to drop whatever I'm doing to drive 35 miles just to hold their hand through a light bulb changing.

I'm surprised at you Electrician. Usually you give very reasonable answers.

ETA: I also make sure all bulbs are working before re-renting my unit and I did give them a new pack of 6 bathroom vanity bulbs (the ones that burn out most frequently) when they signed the first year lease. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to supply the rest as needed.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:50 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,676,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post
I agree. That's why I came here to vent, looking for a tactful way to decline so I wouldn't take my unrelated bad mood out on them.

I'm glad you live close enough to your tenants that changing a light bulb is an easy task for you. I live far enough away that such a minor thing (which is the tenant's responsiblility) is extremely inconvenient. It's not possible for me to drop whatever I'm doing to drive 35 miles just to hold their hand through a light bulb changing.

ETA: I also make sure all bulbs are working before re-renting my unit and I did give them a new pack of 6 bathroom vanity bulbs (the ones that burn out most frequently) when they signed the first year lease. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect them to supply the rest as needed.
I would just tell them that I'm sorry it's too far to drive there and change lightbulbs that this is a tenant responsibility.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:55 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,040,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FairMindedLL View Post

Sounds like you need to hire a property manager who can make themselves available to take care of your property. You've created a standard by allowing this to happen for so long....you can amend the lease come renewal, but you can't force them to change the filters. By the time you find out your hvac unit is ruined you'll have to prove in court that the lack of filters did it.

We take care of our filters and light bulbs in our own home, our rented unit and the units we rent out. For what people pay me for my units, I'd stand on my head while changing the light bulb and serve them champagne.

Is possible for you to drop everything if they call you and tell you the house is on fire or flooded with sewage?

Old 02-19-2016, 08:33 AM

741 posts, read 591,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Sounds like you need to hire a property manager who can make themselves available to take care of your property. You've created a standard by allowing this to happen for so long....you can amend the lease come renewal, but you can't force them to change the filters. By the time you find out your hvac unit is ruined you'll have to prove in court that the lack of filters did it.

We take care of our filters and light bulbs in our own home, our rented unit and the units we rent out. For what people pay me for my units, I'd stand on my head while changing the light bulb and serve them champagne.

Is possible for you to drop everything if they call you and tell you the house is on fire or flooded with sewage?
The hand holding I've done up to this point didn't include light bulb changing. Standards can always be adjusted gradually, legally, and with respect. It's why I come here to bounce ideas and questions off of other LLs and tenants. Wanting my tenants to be responsible for items that fall under their purview is not unreasonable. Not wanting to drive 35 miles to change a light bulb doesn't warrant hiring a property manager. However, I am always available to them for legitimate issues, including, but not limited to, a house fire or sewage flood.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:56 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,661,084 times
here in brooklyn,ny we would say:

are you kidding me, you cant change the light bulb yourself??????

Id tell the tenant simply, but firmly: "you can change the lightbulb yourself".

Old 02-19-2016, 01:33 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,600,799 times
Years ago I had a tenant that called to say the refrigerator needed replacing. I went over and asked her what was wrong because it was working perfectly. She said "It's old!" I busted up laughing it was so silly. She got mad and moved. Good riddance.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:50 PM

1,458 posts, read 1,171,316 times
Some people just can't seem to do anything, it seems. I guess you could just tell them it's their responsibility.

We have tenants like that. We bend over backwards to do things for them, but that has its down side too. They tend to treat us like their best friends and that's not good when it comes to collecting the rent.

We have 2 recessed places in our kitchen ceiling, each with 2 of those long fluorescent bulbs under a plastic lens and they can be tricky to change if one doesn't know how they work. Also requires a ladder since they're up at the peak of tall ceiling...so we go over and change them when we notice they're cooking in the dark again. Sheesh...

Old 02-20-2016, 04:48 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,775,678 times
I hope these light bulbs are for lamps, it would make the story so much funnier.

anyway, the only bulbs a LL should replace are if there is a 20 foot ceiling or recessed lighting that is hard to get to or a bulb on a staircase that can be dangerous to change. In that case it would be in the best interest of the LL to do it so they are not sued if the tenant gets hurt doing it themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting