Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 02:02 PM

586 posts, read 830,562 times

Advertisements

We've been here going on 3 years and have never requested any sort of maintenance requests. We now have more than a few missing blinds that needs to be replaced (throughout the apartment) and management said they will charge anywhere from $5 - $10 per blind (I am guessing $10 for the longer patio blinds and less for bedroom blinds). I was ok with paying but a friend of mine said that I could easily fix the problem myself without having to spend much money. They have repair tabs on amazon where you would just fold it over the hole and that would give you a brand new hole. Its transparent, so its not noticeable. I said it didnt feel right but my friend said I am not doing anything wrong, just finding a less expensive way to fix things on my own. So my question is, is it ok for me to "fix" things on my own first. Do landlords notice these things when they do an inspection upon move out, or if the blinds are not falling down and are sturdy they wouldnt care (I'll be cleaning the blinds and make them look good as new too). I already have the living room carpet that will most likely need replaced, so just trying to save some money, but if there's no point in this, and they will make me pay at the end anyway, there's no point in going through the hassle. Might as well pay now if. Thanks for any opinions.

Here's the link if anyone wants to get an idea of what I am talking about
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=sr_1_1&sr=8-1

Last edited by conlainhothuong; 02-17-2016 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: adding websit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 03:58 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
How did the blinds go "missing"? did someone steal them?

Old 02-17-2016, 06:52 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Do you have monkeys that swing off your blinds? How in the world do blinds 'go missing'?

Don't rig them...either replace them or let them charge you for it.

You broke the blinds and rigging them isn't good enough...replace them or pay to replace them.

Old 02-17-2016, 07:49 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Those things are Worthless! So save your money!

Old 02-17-2016, 09:29 PM

They are missing as in they are no longer hung up, no one stole them. They are individual slates and the hole is broken so they kept falling down, thats why I was wondering if I could just find a way to fix the holes. If not, I could buy new ones on my own, I found the exact same replacements for cheaper, 3.49/piece vs. $5-10 they want to charge. So I am guessing in this case, just buy brand new ones and put them up myself?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:32 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
So ... you BROKE the blinds?

Old 02-17-2016, 09:35 PM

32,632 posts, read 47,975,309 times
When you move into a place are you really happy if all the window blinds are taped together with some sort of clear tape? Or would you prefer to have good unbroken blinds in working order?

When my tenants move in, they prefer to have good clean functional window blinds, so if a vacating tenant has taped their window blinds together, or has broken or missing slats, I purchase new blinds. If the vacating tenant broke the window blinds, the departing tenant will pay for replacements out of their deposit. If the departing tenant left the blinds dirty, the cost of cleaning comes out of the deposit.

So, you want to know if is OK to tape the blinds together and hope nobody notices?

If it is a broken slat in a blind, you can repair those if you are patient. The cord that goes through the hole in the slat, unties at the bottom of the blind. Hang the blind up, fully opened as far as it will go. Turn the slats so they are level. Then you carefully untie the cord that goes through the holes. Pull the cord up through the holes until you reach the broken slat. Pull out the slat with the broken hole. Replace it with a slat from the very bottom. Next, you carefully thread the cord back though all the slats, back through the hole in the bar at the bottom of the blind, and tie a knot in it.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:37 PM

So the problem is, I think the person that lived here before us "broke" the blinds and were "rigging" the management by putting them back up and just kept quiet about it. They slipped through the radar. Shortly when we moved in, I remember pulling the blinds back one time and several fell to the floor and thats when I noticed that they were broken. Kept putting it off and now that its gotten to the point where its my full responsibility although I am pretty sure the last tenant had something to do with it.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conlainhothuong View Post
So the problem is, I think the person that lived here before us "broke" the blinds and were "rigging" the management by putting them back up and just kept quiet about it. They slipped through the radar. Shortly when we moved in, I remember pulling the blinds back one time and several fell to the floor and thats when I noticed that they were broken. Kept putting it off and now that its gotten to the point where its my full responsibility although I am pretty sure the last tenant had something to do with it.
Three years ago?

Have mgmt replace them. You will either pay for it now or later, when you forfeit your security deposit.

Old 02-17-2016, 09:43 PM

I had a link added to my original post. As I mentioned earlier, I had no problem having them replaced, thats why I called down to the manager's office and said "hey I need some blinds replaced." They quoted me the price and I said "ok." Told my friend about it and said "its gotten to the point where I need the blinds replaced, I cant keep stickign them up anymore, if I dont do it know, I know I'll be charged anyways when I move out." So yes, I am aware that I WILL be paying for them sooner or later. Thats when my friend brought up the idea, which I didnt feel was right in the first place, which resulted in this post to ask for second opinions.

I have since decided I will replace them on my own (yes brand new blinds), rather than have them do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting