Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2016, 09:16 AM

635 posts, read 754,609 times

Advertisements

I think I know how most will respond but I just wanted some advice...

I have been blessed with the best tenants. They have lived in my 2BR/1.5BA property for 5 years and have always paid their rent on time. However, rent in my area is drastically increasing.

I really don't want to increase the rent on this couple as 1. they are retired and 2. if I increase it too much then they could leave and I could get horrible tenants.

What would you do in my shoes? They pay $625/month (I just increased it from $600 last year) and there are hardly any rentals you can get in my area that cost that. Honestly, I could rent that unit for $750-$800.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 09:25 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,892,582 times
Is there a reason for raising rent? Have your taxes gone up? Are utility costs included (and gone up)? If so - just talk to them.

If not... and you just raised your rent last year... I guess you can raise it another $25 this year, and then another $25 next year and so on, but make sure you're constantly at least $50 below the low end of the market rate. And maybe you can talk to your tenants, tell them how much you love them, but "your costs went up, and other rents going higher at much faster rate, and so on...". Be ready to cancel the increase immediately if your tenants indicate they won't accept it.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrabbit View Post
Is there a reason for raising rent? Have your taxes gone up? Are utility costs included (and gone up)? If so - just talk to them.

If not... and you just raised your rent last year... I guess you can raise it another $25 this year, and then another $25 next year and so on, but make sure you're constantly at least $50 below the low end of the market rate. And maybe you can talk to your tenants, tell them how much you love them, but "your costs went up, and other rents going higher at much faster rate, and so on...". Be ready to cancel the increase immediately if your tenants indicate they won't accept it.
There's not really a reason for increasing rent this year, but my taxes have gone up. Also, I provide lawn care and that gets expensive. I do have a 15 year mortgage, so their rent doesn't cover my entire mortgage. My thing is that they have a set income because of SS. I just don't know if I should play nice or think that this is a business and to not let my emotions get the best of me.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:33 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Your question should be do you want to keep your good renters or take a chance and have terrible renters who pay more rent.

Old 03-17-2016, 09:36 AM

131 posts, read 112,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Your question should be do you want to keep your good renters or take a chance and have terrible renters who pay more rent.
...or have new tenants who are great and pay more; or, or, or, or...

Old 03-17-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
But what's the norm for increasing rent? If they live there another 5 years, there's noway I will keep the $625/month rent in place.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:13 AM

131 posts, read 112,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCUGal View Post
But what's the norm for increasing rent? If they live there another 5 years, there's noway I will keep the $625/month rent in place.
You are asking a national audience what the norm is for a very specific location [presumably South Carolina]. At the very least, annual increases should keep pace with the cost of living. At the opposite end of the spectrum will probably be average increases in NYC, LA, San Fran, Dallas, etc. There is a distinct benefit to having great tenants, but not at the cost of being unable to carry the property. Only you can answer that question.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:31 AM

721 posts, read 1,567,163 times
I think it also depends on what the tenant pool is like in your area. If you are in a rural area or one where rentals are not in demand it may be difficult to attract good tenants.

Also you live in the adjoining unit? That would be a big factor in my decision. Perhaps there is some value to a quiet, older couple. Do you want a noisy family with kids who is willing to pay more? Or younger people who might have overnight guests, etc. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish.

Old 03-17-2016, 10:57 AM

It's so hard! As I said, I'm very blessed to have great tenants but they can't always pay $625/month. Taxes and maintenance fees will keep rising.

I called a local real estate office to check and see what the average rent is for my area. I am having someone call me back soon.

Old 03-17-2016, 11:32 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
You can use https://www.padmapper.com to see what comparable rents are in your area. You should raise the rent at minimum to cover your additional expenses such as property taxes, insurance, maintenance fee increases, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting