Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,806,896 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robino1 View Post
So, say in a park when no one is around you, you cannot smoke? That is just one instance where I think it is ridiculous.
If you give permission to smoke, they will do so whether or not anyone is around. They can't put a sign up that says "smoking only allowed when you're alone."

Quote:
They are starting to tell people that they cannot smoke in areas that the smoker owns. California is leading the way.
Good for California. I wish my own state was as progressive.

Quote:
Middle of the parking lot is better than telling someone to get into their car and drive off site! Seriously?!?!
Yes, seriously. Employers are also beginning to ban smoking on their property. And as it is their property, I say more power to them. Many employers won't even hire smokers. I suppose you think that is unfair as well.

Quote:
Just an FYI, I am not a smoker but I do respect that others do smoke. I see people do ridiculous things towards smokers. Yes it stinks but it is no worse than the exhaust the comes from buses and cars. It is amazing that people will wave their hand at the perceived smoke smell while waiting for a bus on a busy street with all the black exhaust coming from cars and buses driving by.
I don't respect them because they made a CHOICE. You choose to smoke, you gotta pay the piper. There are plenty of cheap and easy ways to quit and no disadvantages to doing so.

Quote:
Be careful that you don't become overweight. They will come for those next and are already on the verge of taxing and raising insurance on the overweight. Where does it stop? Smokers were the first wave of trying to control that which the nannies do not approve.
I've struggled with my weight all my life, but becoming overweight is a CHOICE as well for the vast majority. If someone has to pay higher premiums or buy an extra seat on a plane, that's the price they've got to pay for their decisions. I see the insurance premiums kinda like the premium on a car.. if you cause an accident or get a ticket, your rate goes up through your own fault.

The problem is that nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions.

Quote:
I feel sorry for your parents.
You shouldn't. I love my parents dearly and would do anything I could for them. But I won't approve of their destructive habit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2016, 10:12 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
1. Not everyone that smokes gets cancer. Just as someone that lives a complete healthy lifestyle still gets cancer. Yes, the chance goes higher but it is not a given. Still is not right to call anyone an idiot.
2. I never said that it was right to do anywhere, that is putting words in my mouth. Not all public areas should be smoke free. There are instances, where smoking is banned, that are totally ridiculous.
3. They shouldn't have to get into their car and drive anywhere. Outside away from entrances should suffice.
4. See the bold in the quoted post above yours.

Let me know what your parents say to you when you do tell them all of the above that you numbered.

No, not EVERYONE gets cancer from smoking. Lots get emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Or they develop heart disease or have a stroke. You are defending smoking and yet here's your CD status: Status: "Last cigarette 10-5-2012. Vaping saved my life " (set 16 days ago)

Old 10-21-2016, 11:50 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
No, not EVERYONE gets cancer from smoking. Lots get emphysema and chronic bronchitis. Or they develop heart disease or have a stroke. You are defending smoking and yet here's your CD status: Status: "Last cigarette 10-5-2012. Vaping saved my life " (set 16 days ago)

Yeah, my lungs were starting to feel the effects of smoking. Yes, I chose a healthier alternative to get nicotine and to replace a habit. Point?

I did buy into the myth that the CDC and all the nanny groups lied about. I have since done a heck of a lot of research.

I still feel the same way about smokers Not Being Bullied into going along with what the Puritanical Judges want.

The 'Health' organizations have cited a figure of how many people have died from cigarettes. Funny how the figure hasn't changed in 10 years, even though the rate of smokers has gone down.

The rise in cancers and other diseases (normally 'caused' by smoking) in never smokers is rising. Could it possibly be that outside influences are causing the diseases? Could it Possibly be that we are predisposed to getting those diseases? Could it possibly be that they were Wrong all along?

Should I change my status to please you?

Old 10-21-2016, 11:51 AM

Location: Finally the house is done and we are in Port St. Lucie!
3,487 posts, read 3,338,908 times
Holy cow, talk about ganging up and bullying.

I think I am done here.

Old 10-21-2016, 02:24 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Yeah, my lungs were starting to feel the effects of smoking. Yes, I chose a healthier alternative to get nicotine and to replace a habit. Point?

I did buy into the myth that the CDC and all the nanny groups lied about. I have since done a heck of a lot of research.

I still feel the same way about smokers Not Being Bullied into going along with what the Puritanical Judges want.

The 'Health' organizations have cited a figure of how many people have died from cigarettes. Funny how the figure hasn't changed in 10 years, even though the rate of smokers has gone down.

The rise in cancers and other diseases (normally 'caused' by smoking) in never smokers is rising. Could it possibly be that outside influences are causing the diseases? Could it Possibly be that we are predisposed to getting those diseases? Could it possibly be that they were Wrong all along?

Should I change my status to please you?
My point was that while you obviously believe switching from smoking to vaping saved your life you still defend people who smoke where it impacts the health of others. I just find that a bit odd.

Given that we have an aging population and it's older long term smokers dying, I don't find the numbers to be unexplainable. We have decades of research that support the cigarettes kill statement. I'm glad you quit and won't end up being yet another victim.

Old 10-21-2016, 05:59 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,022,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
If you give permission to smoke, they will do so whether or not anyone is around. They can't put a sign up that says "smoking only allowed when you're alone."

Good for California. I wish my own state was as progressive.

Yes, seriously. Employers are also beginning to ban smoking on their property. And as it is their property, I say more power to them. Many employers won't even hire smokers. I suppose you think that is unfair as well.

I don't respect them because they made a CHOICE. You choose to smoke, you gotta pay the piper. There are plenty of cheap and easy ways to quit and no disadvantages to doing so.

I've struggled with my weight all my life, but becoming overweight is a CHOICE as well for the vast majority. If someone has to pay higher premiums or buy an extra seat on a plane, that's the price they've got to pay for their decisions. I see the insurance premiums kinda like the premium on a car.. if you cause an accident or get a ticket, your rate goes up through your own fault.

The problem is that nobody wants to take responsibility for their actions.

You shouldn't. I love my parents dearly and would do anything I could for them. But I won't approve of their destructive habit.
this times 100...yeah, we do agree on quite a bit!!

Old 10-23-2016, 09:38 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Let's see...

"Stupid idiots"
'They're all inconsiderate'
Make them get in their car and drive elsewhere
They don't pay their bills

The list can become endless.

Fact: smoking is legal
Cigarettes are easily accessible and legal
Smokers are treated like criminals if they are even spotted one foot on grounds hundreds of feet from any people.

This is very true. As a FORMER smoker even if I was smoking where it was allowed I always asked people near me who were not smoking if it was okay with them. Not all smokers are inconsiderate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting