Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2016, 09:59 PM

3 posts, read 2,705 times

Advertisements

* #40 * * *
Today, 11:51 PM
Suavae11

1 posts

I'm an apartment manager and I've only been there for a few weeks.. In this time frame I gotten several calls about shooting in the neighborhood but nobody called law enforcement. I've also gotten lots of complaints about children loitering and vandalism to tenants property and being out pass 11:00pm. Can anybody give some facts of how I should address the issue? I want the children to be safe and I also want residents to be comfortable about their household without worrying about vandalism oh and theft.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 10:31 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I learned the hard way not to get involved. You can end up hurt. The owner I worked for actually had a resident manager die after an altercation between two tenants, where he tried to intervene. One of them hit him and when he fell he hit his head. He later died in the hospital. I was never hurt physically, but I let two tenants pull me into their drama. I should have told them to work it out, but not to disturb anyone else in the building or I'd have to kick them out. Instead, I tried playing the diplomatic auntie. Bad idea.

At any rate, what the owner told me to do, is to tell the tenants that they need to call the police. Tell them you're not allowed to get involved. Blame it on your boss. The owner and I used to joke about the fact that I'd blame things on him. It's just easier. "I'm sorry, but my boss said I can't get involved. But, you should definitely call the police."

Tell the complainers about the kids, that if they know which tenants the kids live with, or who they are visiting, then you can tell those tenants that you have received complaints about them. Otherwise, the police will have to deal with them. But, since they are the ones witnessing it, then they need to call the police.

Then, be sure and let your boss know, in writing (email is fine), about the complaints and what you did, to cover your rear, and end it with a request for advice on whether or not the owner thinks you handled things correctly or if you should do anything differently, other than put yourself in a position where you could be hurt.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,705 times
Thank you very much.letters were sent out by the owner saying children had to be in the house by eight because of their safety and to stop the vandalism. I was told to enforce it. Me not knowing the proper precautions at this time. I drove out there lots of kisd were out they actually went in the house. Except for a 17 year old who went and got his parents then sparks flew I called the owner she spoke with them . they felt that their son is grown and he could be out late. But these were the same ppl that called me my very first day on the job upset that someone was out there shooting. I don't get it. They never called the police for neither of the three shootings that has happened. I just don't get it. But they call and complain to me on a daily basis. Smh

Old 03-31-2016, 11:28 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
I doubt the curfew is legal. I'd tell the owner I'm not a security officer.

Old 03-31-2016, 11:44 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,397,703 times
I'm assuming it's your job to enforce the house rules, so if people are violating them, Notice them formally. Hopefully you received some training? As for the gunshots, if you hear them, call the police and report them. Are there cameras?

Old 03-31-2016, 11:48 PM

13,927 posts, read 39,297,259 times
They are breaking the Rules... EVICT them!

Old 03-31-2016, 11:55 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I doubt you can legally impose or enforce a curfew. You aren't a probation officer or anyone involved in the county/city politics. You also are not a security guard.

As others have said, I would tell the tenants to notify the local police if a crime is committed or if they feel unsafe. If the property is damaged or is attempted to be damaged, they should let you know so that you can pick up a police report and handle any damage that might have occurred to the property.

The police are supposed to handle these things.

That said, it sounds like the property owner invested in a rough area...tempting, due to the cheapness of buying a house and the potential for Section 8 and such, but he/she is getting what he/she paid for....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting