Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2016, 01:43 PM

2 posts, read 1,082 times

Advertisements

My wife and I rent a house in the country. It's on the higher side of rent and the house is on the lower side of being taken care of. But the schools are amazing. Our landlord lives over a hr away. He has become more of a pain and annoyance than anything when he shows up. It's just annoying stuff he asked me to run a new water line for a water spigot bc I'm a plumber. I bought all the materials installed it the way I'd recommend. I give him the receipt for materials and he questions why I insulated pipes, why'd I put in a shut off valve at the house. Here's the annoyance. I did the labor for free. Another example: he dropped off a bunch of paint and said he thought the front deck needed some painting done to it. My lease says nothing about me doing maintenance. Both my wife and I are sick of this guy. Just leave us alone rent is paid on the first. I'll let you know if repairs are needed. Here's my question. We have found from the tax office he claims a homestead exemption on the home. Also in the lease there's nothing mentioning Texas property code 92.056. Which if you scroll to the bottom of that code in section g says must be underlined or in bold on the lease. We are 10 months in on a 24 month lease. Does anyone think the homestead exemption or the property code argument would stand up in court if we notified him the lease is null and void.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 02:07 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Homestead means nothing to you at all as it is between the owner and the tax authority.

Does property code 92.056 state that the lease is void if it isn't in bold or underlined?

Old 05-25-2016, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 1,082 times
No it doesn't say the lease is void without it. Basically what it says is the lease must contain language which states the remedies available to to the tenant should he not make repairs in a timely manner. My lease doesn't contain any wording about it being voided. Or how long it takes him to make repairs

Old 05-25-2016, 02:40 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Sec. 92.0563. TENANT'S JUDICIAL REMEDIES.
(a) A tenant's judicial remedies under Section 92.056 shall include:
(1) an order directing the landlord to take reasonable action to repair or remedy the condition;
(2) an order reducing the tenant's rent, from the date of the first repair notice, in proportion to the reduced rental value resulting from the condition until the condition is repaired or remedied;
(3) a judgment against the landlord for a civil penalty of one month's rent plus $500;
(4) a judgment against the landlord for the amount of the tenant's actual damages; and
(5) court costs and attorney's fees, excluding any attorney's fees for a cause of action for damages relating to a personal injury.
There is this that you could threaten him with and see if he budges/lets you out. I doubt a court would see this as being applicable for his violation of 92.056(g) but you could try.

As for the other stuff that is between you and him but if you wanted to charge him for your time you should have made that arrangement beforehand not after the work was completed. Also know if you try to charge him you need to stay within your states contracting laws; here any work below $1,000 you don't need a license for but that includes materials.

Old 05-29-2016, 11:46 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,523,760 times
Just tell him you don't feel comfortable doing repairs and accepting liability on a house you don't own.
Stop repairing things.
The homestead exemption is between him and the taxing entity. I suppose you can turn him in if you want, and if he finds out it was you he might ask you to leave.

Old 06-02-2016, 05:51 AM

7,044 posts, read 6,295,966 times
Another situation about not burning bridges. If you do not need him as a reference, turn him in if you want. If you do need his reference, you may have to chalk it up to lesson learned in life.

Old 06-04-2016, 04:04 PM

439 posts, read 517,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Another situation about not burning bridges. If you do not need him as a reference, turn him in if you want. If you do need his reference, you may have to chalk it up to lesson learned in life.
I would hope you don't need him as a reference. Just use previous
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting