Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 07:13 PM

666 posts, read 643,396 times

Advertisements

I feel for you, it's frustrating and it really gives you a glimpse into how self-absorbed and inconsiderate the neighbor is. I'm willing to bet it has nothing to do with inclines or door dinging or whatever. Just lack of consideration. I actually would leave a note on the door and give this ding dong a chance to correct their behavior with dignity. Maybe it will work!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2016, 07:26 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Despite what some of these other posters might say, I don't believe you're being petty or unreasonable OP. Especially if these are guests who aren't supposed to be parking in the lot long term anyway.

I don't know that I would leave a note as that usually just makes people become even bigger jerks. Either wait a few days to see if the guests leave or talk to the apartment management about it.

but if it's 'first come, first serve' open lot, how can he dictate where his fellow resident parks? If this person parking there lives in a totally different community and is parking there for whatever reason I can see him getting upset, but that's not the case here...unless I'm misunderstanding the situation.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:28 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
am having that problem now but this person is certifiable and am going to call police next time i'm verbally attacked

and so you should! You should also report them to your landlord and let them know the next time there's an issue you will be calling the police.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:14 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
but if it's 'first come, first serve' open lot, how can he dictate where his fellow resident parks? If this person parking there lives in a totally different community and is parking there for whatever reason I can see him getting upset, but that's not the case here...unless I'm misunderstanding the situation.
I am referring to this bit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
Neighbors in a building across the street (but within the community) started parking in front of my apt last week, where we already have a shortage. I believe they have long term guests or whatever you call them staying with them and probably decided to park in front of my building because you're only allowed 2 cars in the lot per apt.
If the tenants are not supposed to have more than X amount of guests/cars in the lot (or any long term guests) then he has more than enough right to gripe about the parking situation.

If they are actual residents in the other building, I agree there's not much he can do, despite how inconvenient and annoying it is.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:09 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Just another reason to stay way from apartment buildings.....

Old 06-26-2016, 09:01 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
They likely don't want to park under trees. There are probably droppings from the trees. We have trees along one side of the parking lot here at our summer vacay place and if we park under them all the birds roosting in them drop bird crap on the car, and by the pine trees we get tree sap.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:09 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
I am referring to this bit...

If the tenants are not supposed to have more than X amount of guests/cars in the lot (or any long term guests) then he has more than enough right to gripe about the parking situation.

If they are actual residents in the other building, I agree there's not much he can do, despite how inconvenient and annoying it is.
How do you know so much about this other resident....I couldn't tell you what car my neighbors friends drive.
Just park there first if you can, and across the street if you can't.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:30 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
How do you know so much about this other resident....I couldn't tell you what car my neighbors friends drive.
Just park there first if you can, and across the street if you can't.
I don't know jack about them in this case as I'm not the OP, but I do know that when I live in apartments I become familiar with the cars that other tenants drive. It's generally pretty easy to tell if someone has guests by the unfamiliar vehicles.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:55 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
OP, go over to management and politely outline the problem. If they won't do anything, then there is nothing you can do. But perhaps they will send a notice around for people to park in the lot adjacent to their own building.

With a large apartment complex, the actual owner is probably not there. The hired help doesn't want extra work. If I owned it, I would take the time to make sure someone wasn't violating parking regulations concerning number of cars or that no one had moved in long term "guests" (unauthorized tenants). However, since you are not renting from me, that doesn't help your situation.

Old 06-27-2016, 09:27 AM

5,046 posts, read 9,624,436 times
In between houses, we rented a nice apartment. We had the same problem. We also had friends of tenants who were spending the evening or the night and guests of tenants who were using the pool park in and around our entrance. (We also noticed healthy young people park in handicap spaces, but that's another issue).

I told the management office. Since no one really knew who was taking up the parking spaces they sent out a letter to all tenants reminding them about the parking rules. As I recall, we got spaces in front of our entrance more often than not after that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting