Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 11:30 AM

34 posts, read 39,324 times

Advertisements

We have been in a rental home for 1 year. In February, I noticed a large amount of water next to the refrigerator (owner's appliances). I contacted my landlord and his handyman, who said the water line to the fridge had a leak and water had been leaking for months. It turned out that a large patch of the wood floor was completely damaged and the entire kitchen flooring had to be replaced. This was a huge project as the entire 1st floor had to be refinished and we were asked to leave the house for 1 week, with our 3 young children and live-in nanny. We did this and our landlord reimbursed us for the prorated rent. We had asked for the cost of the 3 hotel rooms we needed, but he refused.

Anyway, we have now moved out and he is keeping $1000 of the security deposit because it cost him $1500 for his insurance deductible. I don't believe it was our fault that his refrigerator leaked, and we never noticed any water prior to that one incident, so how are held responsible for this?

Advice is appreciated. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 11:35 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,542,422 times
Small claims court.

Old 06-30-2016, 08:08 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
Ditto. Small Claims Court.

You aren't really responsible if the landlord's refrigerator leaked. However, you are responsible for damage if you didn't report it and allowed small damage to escalate into large damage. So, how it goes would depend upon whether or not you could convince a judge that you never noticed that extensive damage was happening over an extended period of time.

Have you tried contacting your own renter's insurance company to see what they say about it?

Old 06-30-2016, 09:06 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,996,269 times
Is there anything more to this story?
Do you have anything is writing?

Old 06-30-2016, 09:15 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,242,053 times
You never heard dripping water? You didn't question why your water bill was higher then normal? Even small leaks waste a large amount of water. You would have to convince a judge that you never noticed the damage and something so major and for an extended period of time you have a battle ahead. Also if you lose the insurance can take that as a possible win against you and try their luck in court for their cost.

Old 06-30-2016, 09:23 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,227,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
You never heard dripping water? You didn't question why your water bill was higher then normal? Even small leaks waste a large amount of water. You would have to convince a judge that you never noticed the damage and something so major and for an extended period of time you have a battle ahead. Also if you lose the insurance can take that as a possible win against you and try their luck in court for their cost.
Dont be silly.
I have many rentals. Things like this do happen. It is hard to notice a pinhole leak in a pipe. Generally the water just seeps under the floor and you never notice a thing until it either leak thru the ceiling below or the floor starts warping.
The Owner/landlord is in the wrong and you should sue.

I removed all the refrigerator water lines from my rentals. They are just problems waiting to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting