Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 05:53 AM

36 posts, read 45,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slytrix View Post
Too bad that you didn't use a different attorney for the eviction.

The law firm I have been using for the last 20 years collected a judgement for me once 7 years later. Out of the blue, a check came in the mail. Their fee, half of the judgement....done. No effort on my part what so ever and was happy to get half.

By the end of the eviction process my attorney was so fed up with the tenants' constant emails and phone calls he couldn't wait to leave.

I've sent them a polite but firm demand letter. It won't get me anywhere, but it's all about the process. Still can't decide between a ruthless but expensive debt collection law firm or a dubious collection agency. I'll investigate further if and when the tenants respond to my request.

Thanks for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2016, 08:47 AM

6,341 posts, read 14,689,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormyNight View Post
By the end of the eviction process my attorney was so fed up with the tenants' constant emails and phone calls he couldn't wait to leave.

I've sent them a polite but firm demand letter. It won't get me anywhere, but it's all about the process. Still can't decide between a ruthless but expensive debt collection law firm or a dubious collection agency. I'll investigate further if and when the tenants respond to my request.

Thanks for the help.
If they're fighting & grumbling, it's all the better for your chances of collecting - in order to fight & dispute things, they need to supply an address - if you have an address, you can serve papers, if you have a decent rental application, you know where they work, where they bank & what cars they're driving. If you know all that, you don't need a collection agency to collect. Perfect your judgement with the court & then check into attaching assets like the cars & see about garnishing wages, bank accounts & possibly even tax refunds. You can talk to an attorney about the steps to go through in your state, it can be time consuming, which is why you won't want to hire it done, but you can renew & extend those judgements nearly indefinitely in many states, so you've potentially got decades to collect & the interest on the debt grows every day. A $2k judgement will prevent most car loans & home purchases from going through, so you own them if they ever plan on cleaning their act up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting