Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I do not have to have a formal qualification criteria, at least not in the states where I have property. ...........
It varies by state. OP lives in Oregon where is is a legal requirement to hand out a copy of the written criteria with every application.

Up until about a year and 1/2 ago, it was only required to have the written criteria available for viewing on the premises and only if there was an application fee. Now a copy has to be handed put. Not making me very happy since I will have maybe 50 applications go out and not be returned and my criteria is 7 pages long. That's a lot of printing expense for no reason at all.

Oregon law is shifting fast to favor the tenant and I am selling off my rentals, one by one as they become vacant. I have relatively lower rent places in good locations and good condition in an area where lower rent places are hard to come by. But thanks to the progressive nature of our legislature (driven by out of staters who come in and want to change Oregon to what they left) landlords with economy places are all selling out to owner/occupants, making rentals even more scarce. Renters think things are going their way, but all it is doing is making rentals harder and harder to find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 08:25 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Exactly. The day I can't decide that I won't rent to someone because they send my creep-o-meter spinning without jumping through legal hoops is the day I sell my properties and quit renting. If I am pushed into that corner I will not be alone, which is a really, really bad thing for low end renters. Sacristy makes for inflated rents.

The Perverse Effects of Rental Regulations

Rental Housing Shortage is America's Next Housing Crisis

Other reasons include highly restrictive zoning rules, as existing homeowners limit new construction in order to boost their property prices.

Good old class warfare, waged from above.

Old 09-21-2016, 08:42 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Other reasons include highly restrictive zoning rules, as existing homeowners limit new construction in order to boost their property prices.
That is silly beyond belief. If anything existing homeowners want to thwart creeping urbanism. They want to keep traffic low or limit its growth.

Old 09-23-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post
That is silly beyond belief. If anything existing homeowners want to thwart creeping urbanism. They want to keep traffic low or limit its growth.

Homeowners are getting a twofer, higher property values plus preventing creeping urbanism. Renters just get higher rents.

Old 09-24-2016, 01:10 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Homeowners are getting a twofer, higher property values plus preventing creeping urbanism. Renters just get higher rents.
If only you understood how zoning works. Will you ever get off the internet and make your life better for yourself?

Old 09-24-2016, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
If only you understood how zoning works. Will you ever get off the internet and make your life better for yourself?

As a former board member of my neighborhood association, I have some familiarity with how zoning works. For example, variances were hard to obtain in my neighborhood, where zoning was perceived to be, and often employed as, a quality of life tool. While our neighbors were often known quantities who could be trusted to use their variances responsibly, their heirs and successors were inherently unknown quantities of unknown trustworthiness.

Old 09-24-2016, 06:19 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,239,267 times
Quote:
As a former board member of my neighborhood association
Doubtful. Boards are elected by the members and the members are the property owners not the tenants.

Quote:
I have some familiarity with how zoning works. For example, variances were hard to obtain in my neighborhood, where zoning was perceived to be, and often employed as, a quality of life tool. While our neighbors were often known quantities who could be trusted to use their variances responsibly, their heirs and successors were inherently unknown quantities of unknown trustworthiness.
None of that is zoning but nice of you to go off on a tangent. The city council normally sets the zoning of an area. In many areas most of that is done by the voters through a city plan proposal. In a very few places there is unincorporated cities who are governed by an association.

Zoning at its most simplistic is the the use of the land and includes occupancy type, normally single or multiple family with X number of occupants per sq mile, or commercial use by type. Your association example is not zoning.

Old 09-24-2016, 07:56 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
Quote:
What if I have a property and want to rent it to a friend, without considering anyone else?
What you mean "what if?" Of course you can do this; you think there is some law against this or something?

Old 09-24-2016, 09:41 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,124,163 times
Quote:
Renters aren't subject to creeping urbanism too?

Old 09-25-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Manager View Post
Doubtful. Boards are elected by the members and the members are the property owners not the tenants.

None of that is zoning but nice of you to go off on a tangent. The city council normally sets the zoning of an area.
In many areas most of that is done by the voters through a city plan proposal. In a very few places there is unincorporated cities who are governed by an association.

Zoning at its most simplistic is the the use of the land and includes occupancy type, normally single or multiple family with X number of occupants per sq mile, or commercial use by type. Your association example is not zoning.

Maybe you don't know how zoning - or a neighborhood association - works. My neighborhood association had a large population base and a large board, which because it was liberal and also had a large student renter population, was somewhat more inclusive in its representation, e.g. they made an effort to put one student on the board, even though that student rarely appeared at the monthly meetings. (I got involved long after graduation, as a low-income longtime resident frequently displaced by rent increases.)

In that neighborhood, hypervigilant homeowners were constantly concerned with quality of life issues (noise, parties, parking, overoccupancy, unlicensed rentals) driven largely by the high proportion of college students renting in the neighborhood. For many years they lobbied to block variance requests and to downzone the neighborhood, ultimately getting "unrelated occupancy" reduced to a maximum of TWO.

Where I live now, neighborhood associations have a committee dedicated to land use and zoning issues and few changes get through the city council if neighborhood associations oppose them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting