Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 05:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,446,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
A discount? Hell no. You are free to move if you do not like it. The fact you are broke and have no choices in life is the fault of that guy in the mirror.

You having lack of choices is not a prerequisite for anyone to give up anything others are willing to pay

So non-owners should be able to use with impunity residences substandard / used not as designed, without market penalty? Distressed consumers should take whatever substandard housing is offered at whatever price? Because, you know, they don't have options?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 05:39 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Sounds kinda Hobbesian.
.... I thought it sounded like the voice of someone who has seen rooming houses burned to the foundation due to electrical issues.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:04 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,009,922 times
Quote:
So non-owners should be able to use with impunity residences substandard / used not as designed, without market penalty? Distressed consumers should take whatever substandard housing is offered at whatever price? Because, you know, they don't have options?

You have options; you just choose to pretend that you don't.

Old 10-07-2016, 06:55 AM

3,365 posts, read 5,234,327 times
Quote:
What you don't seem to understand is that the market is you and you are willing to pay what you are to live in the condition you are. The market penalty is when you get off your lazy butt and move. Those are your options.

If you want I could find a good rental for you at your desired price. Won't be in your area because you are clearly living WAY above your meager means. I told another poster this a few weeks ago who was complaining about having to get a roommate.

Time to grow up princess.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:09 AM

106,593 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
If building violations are happening then the rooming house should be shut down. That house has an electrical service that is adequate for a home of its size. If they are violating building codes by misusing the property you should be evicted for being in an ileagal apartment and the place shut down.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:31 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,748,791 times
Quote:
I have never ever seen this issue come up in a rental context, but is there a minimum reasonable electrical capacity a renter should be able to expect?

I rent a room in a small and overcrowded house. It appears that the three bedrooms plus the bathroom and living room are on a single circuit; last winter I discovered that my attempted use of either a toaster oven or a space heater would trip the breaker, and since there was anger and gnashing of teeth, I promptly stopped trying to use those devices.

A person in a different bedroom has "a heater" for some unspecified medical issue, and others have televisions, so it's entirely possible that the "reasonable" electrical capacity is already being used without any draw from me.

All I use now is a clock radio, a 9-watt LED light bulb, sometimes a laptop, and occasionally a cell phone charger. Since my room is freezing in the winter, I'd like to buy an electric blanket but I do not have confidence I will be able to successfully use it in this house.

Until I can afford to move, what options do I have?
It's bad wiring in an old house.

I don't know if outlet strips will shut off before tripping the power to go out but you might try that. The kind that have the lit red light and a button to turn the strip on and off. They cost less than $10.

When I rent a place I have expectations that I can use a TV in my room, a slow cooker, a rice cooker, a computer, a space heater, etc.

Before I bought my house I had to move in with roommates and sometimes the power would trip and go off but we realized that it was when the coffee maker was on and someone was trying to use the microwave, so if someone was making coffee we had to wait for them to stop using it.

In one of my apartments the microwave would also affect the electric, but it would only trip the electrical outlet strip.

You live in a place with bad wiring and you need to get them to turn up the heat or get some more blankets.

try using a different wall outlet if you have a few in the room. sometimes one outlet is on a different circuit than another in the same room.

this one is even better, but i've never seen it before

Old 10-07-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
I've been using an inexpensive surge protector, which apparently doesn't quite do the job. As I suggested, I kinda suspect the 'problem' is that capacity is being consumed by the others using the same circuit, what with the 'heater' already in use, televisions, plus the person living in the living room appears to be using a fair amount of power. It's just that I would be seriously PO'd if I couldn't pull 300 crummy watts - including an electric blanket - because everyone else is pulling say 1,000 each.
A surge protector is to protect the product from lightning strikes that hit the house from damaging electric items. Also some are rated to protect less than others.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:40 AM

Quote:
So I should get a rent discount? Did I mention the guy's grow operation?
That is what's using all the power. When you leave mention it to the cops.

Old 10-07-2016, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
A discount? Hell no. You are free to move if you do not like it. The fact you are broke and have no choices in life is the fault of that guy in the mirror.

You having lack of choices is not a prerequisite for anyone to give up anything others are willing to pay
Don't judge him, you don't know his situation. Why must you think you are better than everyone else?

Old 10-07-2016, 07:43 AM

Quote:
So I should get a rent discount? Did I mention the guy's grow operation?

Ask him to turn the heat on or up instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting