Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 11:03 AM

431 posts, read 982,580 times

Advertisements

I guess the only option is to hope that the kids breaks a leg running down the stairs. Pretty sad that it has to come to that. I don't want to be one of those people that retaliates and escalates things. We're probably going to end up renting something for 6 months while my wife finishes off her school year so I can keep my sanity.

I have OCD, I cannot just ignore the sound. I have tried ear plugs but when my chair shakes from the pounding there's not much that helps. I also need to hear when I get a delivery so I can sign for it.

She agreed to the HOA agreement which prohibits creating any disturbing noises. Can I go that route? Why can't she just tell her kid to stop bouncing around like an animal? If I can train my cat to stay off the counter surely you can teach a kid how to behave indoors. All my other neighbors don't seem to have a problem parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2016, 11:13 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,839,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by superorb View Post
We would LOVE one! In fact, we have been looking for years but prices are out of control here. $400k for anew 2bed/2bath house? No way! We've looking out of state for the past month or so now, unfortunately. It's beautiful here, but we can't afford the peace and quiet we desire. We'll scope out new cities over Xmas and MLK breaks.

Have you considered RENTING a single family home?

Old 12-08-2016, 11:13 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
Quote:
I guess the only option is to hope that the kids breaks a leg running down the stairs. Pretty sad that it has to come to that. I don't want to be one of those people that retaliates and escalates things. We're probably going to end up renting something for 6 months while my wife finishes off her school year so I can keep my sanity.

I have OCD, I cannot just ignore the sound. I have tried ear plugs but when my chair shakes from the pounding there's not much that helps. I also need to hear when I get a delivery so I can sign for it.

She agreed to the HOA agreement which prohibits creating any disturbing noises. Can I go that route? Why can't she just tell her kid to stop bouncing around like an animal? If I can train my cat to stay off the counter surely you can teach a kid how to behave indoors. All my other neighbors don't seem to have a problem parenting.
You complain too much.

You already went to the HOA, didnt work. You cant train a child like an animal because they arent an animal.

Old 12-08-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reenzz View Post
Have you considered RENTING a single family home?
Yes, of course. We're waiting for one that isn't $4,000/month like all the available ones around here are. No idea why they're so expensive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
You complain too much.

You already went to the HOA, didnt work. You cant train a child like an animal because they arent an animal.
Umm, technically humans ARE animals, but I'll bite. Humans are easier to train/teach/whatever than animals because you can actually talk to them. It's called parenting. Parenting seems to be fairly non-existent in the Denver area for some reason.

I'd gladly trade places with someone who doesn't have to deal with the constant pounding and floor shaking so I don't complain too much. Wouldn't want to offend anyone

Old 12-08-2016, 02:09 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Quote:
........Why can't she just tell her kid to stop bouncing around like an animal? If I can train my cat to stay off the counter surely you can teach a kid how to behave indoors. .......
Sure, kids can learn to have indoor manners. It's not hard. You have to focus a lot of attention on the kids and make the effort to take them every day to a place where they can run and make noise and tire themselves out. You have to find them some quiet indoor activities and supervise them while they play.

Your problem is that their mother has no intention of doing that and no one can force her to. So you are back to "there is nothing to be done about it". Some parents do not care who their kids are bothering as long as their kids are not bothering them. Really, nothing to be done about it. Not legally and as annoying as it is it is not worth going to jail over-- if only because jails are very noisy and well as dangerous places.

Sorry. Your options are extremely limited.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Sure, kids can learn to have indoor manners. It's not hard. You have to focus a lot of attention on the kids and make the effort to take them every day to a place where they can run and make noise and tire themselves out. You have to find them some quiet indoor activities and supervise them while they play.

Your problem is that their mother has no intention of doing that and no one can force her to. So you are back to "there is nothing to be done about it". Some parents do not care who their kids are bothering as long as their kids are not bothering them. Really, nothing to be done about it. Not legally and as annoying as it is it is not worth going to jail over-- if only because jails are very noisy and well as dangerous places.

Sorry. Your options are extremely limited.
/end thread

Well said. Not sure there's anything I can add to that. I guess we're stuck till we can move out, hopefully in January when I'm not swamped working 14+ hour days.

Old 12-08-2016, 02:18 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,807,300 times
Quote:
You complain too much.
And this adds absolutely nothing constructive to the discussion.

Quote:
Oh BS. Kids can be taught to be considerate. No, a child shouldn't be expected to be completely quiet, but at 5-6, they shouldn't be running around the house and creating such a disturbance. That's just crappy parenting.

OP, the only thing that will solve this issue for you is to move. I know that's not helpful at all, but in some cases, that's the only solution. I really do hope your situation improves!

Old 12-08-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodica View Post
Oh BS. Kids can be taught to be considerate. No, a child shouldn't be expected to be completely quiet, but at 5-6, they shouldn't be running around the house and creating such a disturbance. That's just crappy parenting.

OP, the only thing that will solve this issue for you is to move. I know that's not helpful at all, but in some cases, that's the only solution. I really do hope your situation improves!
Finally, someone who understands what I've been trying to say. When I was talking to the mom the kid was jumping off of furniture like a maniac and she didn't even bat an eye. It's a miracle he hasn't broken a bone yet.

Hopefully we'll be able to move once I'm no longer spending the majority of the day working.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:02 PM

22 posts, read 59,889 times
I can feel your pain. I'm dealing with noise as well.
As one poster mentioned, parents need to teach child how to behave. We have a child and we teach him not to bang or jump unnecessarily. If tenants live in apartment or townhouse with shared wall or floor, all of them shall recognize this and not to behave like they own the whole building. This is part of any lease pretty much but unfortunately nobody's enforcing it.

Old 12-09-2016, 02:21 PM

8,151 posts, read 8,354,049 times
I do have a lot of empathy for your situation. I have had to live thru these kinds of things at times. It does help to wear earphones with soft background music. If at all possible, create a closed off space on the opposite side of the house and insulate it -- perhaps convert a closet to your home workspace?
Wishing you peace in the year ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting