Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2017, 02:23 PM

9,908 posts, read 9,581,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cargoman View Post
I feel very lucky then..and i am not being a smart ass by saying it. It is so incredibly quiet here and my neighbors are all good people.
I am blessed to find a place like that.. i feel your joy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2017, 02:51 PM

497 posts, read 422,230 times
In general at our current location, we get along with our neighbours and don't worry about slamming doors and dogs.

It only become an issue if it is after the by-law hours and all you have to do is report to the police and not get involved. I agree that people smoking pot is an issue with me. I choose not to smoke, so I should not be exposed to it in the hallway and in my apartment. Someone told me that the only thing that can be done is to pull the fire alarm and this was done here. On our floor, we didn't notice it, but someone must of and pulled the alarm with all that smoke.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:14 PM

1,399 posts, read 1,798,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
I think you misread my post. I agree the noise is lower in a house on small lot but it's still there with dog noise etc.. I agree it's better then an apartment but not by a lot. The ideal situation would be a house in the country surrounded by trees are bordered by trees with acres between lots. That is my goal.
Yes I agree with you, the ideal situation would be a house in the country.....that is still my goal as well but until I can afford living near work and the properties that have land I will need to be on a lot. However, i must be one lucky son of a ***** because in a year and a half of living here I am perfectly happy with my area, my neighbors and the very low level of noise i encounter. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Old 02-20-2017, 03:57 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,587,281 times
Quote:
Yes I agree with you, the ideal situation would be a house in the country.....that is still my goal as well but until I can afford living near work and the properties that have land I will need to be on a lot. However, i must be one lucky son of a ***** because in a year and a half of living here I am perfectly happy with my area, my neighbors and the very low level of noise i encounter. I wish you the best of luck in your search.
Yes you are lucky if you do a search on here with all the complaints of renting you will get thousands of results same with Google. I guess renting is like the lottery very few win.

Old 02-20-2017, 04:29 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,026 times
Quote:
So moving out of house and moving into an apartment solved all your issues? Not buying it. Sounds like you bought a house in the wrong part of town with small lot size and low class of people. I can't understand how people buy houses on a tiny lot real close to neighbors. Might as well rent then because noise and privacy are the same as renting an apartment if you live in a congested neighborhood with small lots.
Nope, not the wrong part of town, but it only takes a few inconsiderate neighbors to ruin it. Inconsiderate neighbors happen in all socioeconomic statuses. Not a tiny lot, either. We're definitely in closer quarters here in this apartment. We moved states between, hence the need to move. Couldn't afford to buy in this market. The money from selling was enough to keep us afloat in our new place. So buying that house was definitely better than renting.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:30 PM

123 posts, read 138,874 times
Wow never heard of noise disturbances beneath someone. For me it was always on top on me

Old 02-20-2017, 08:05 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by credit6 View Post
Wow never heard of noise disturbances beneath someone. For me it was always on top on me
Be grateful. Since I've lived here (3 years), I've had two tenants below me. Both were/are noisy.

I went from a third shifter that had a stereo system with a ton if bass. It'd vibrate through at all hours. He threw parties fairly regularly. On week nights. This is typical ahole neighbor stuff that you'd hear regardless of where they were in the building. Oh, and he BEGAN moving out at 9:30 pm. He moved out around November/December. I was so happy to be rid of him....

And now... I have the yeller with anger issues. *sigh* He talks on his phone every night and yells at someone. He woke me up at 3 am the other night yelling. And I am a really hard sleeper. I seriously feel like he needs major help.

In my first apartment back in college, I could hear my neighbors below me having sex. My friends found this hilarious. It was funny the first time or two. Definitely got old...

Old 02-21-2017, 07:39 AM

9,908 posts, read 9,581,430 times
My worst problem with my current apartment which I love is this - count my blessings -

whenever someone uses the door knocker to knock on my next door neighbor's door, I cant tell if its his door or mine, since they are close together. so usually I get up off my recliner, walk all the way to the door and find out no one is there, it was for my neighbor. do you think I can sue him for noise?

LOL just kidding// I have it very good.

Old 02-21-2017, 10:53 AM

383 posts, read 343,217 times
Do not forget about airplanes if you`re going to choose a house in the country LOL) Their noise could be VERY bothering!
Actually noise troubles happen everywhere. I have my summer house surrounded by trees. Despite my closest neighbor is farther than 30 meters (~100 feet) he still often bothering me by noise of lawnmower (at the same time as my child go to naps) or yelling rude words to his wife. It`s normally for them speaking with a half of rude words in their vocabulary. Thus there`s no way in getting a quiet and silent place! Even when i`ve had a vacation in Thai in real "wilderness" fu*ing monkeys was yelling the whole night).

All those people who don`t think and don`t respect the rest we call "Bidlo" in my own country. I guess this meaning close to redneck/trash.

PS: Once i`ve lived in multi-storey building at upper 16 floor. Beneath me was a family with one kid who terribly stomped but...BENEATH is not as same as ABOVE. Also i shared the wall with rather old lonely man who was pretty quiet. That`s all! There was no more neighbors! Above me was a tech floor with communications. My kitchen had a share wall with a neighbors kitchen. It was relief if compares with conditions i had lived in a previous flat with crazy dump neithbors who stomped all the time up to 1pm and was slamming a cabinet door with such a strong rumble that i was able to hear it with earplugs in my ears!

Old 02-21-2017, 03:53 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,112,106 times
Quote:
Landlord says "well you don't have to live there".
Your landlord gives good advice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Buy your own home!
Right answer except most renters can't afford homes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Lebowski Dude View Post
It's the luck of the draw - you can control where you live, but you can't who lives near/next to you - or who moves in near/next to you.
Sadly this is true in houses too, although the greater separation reduces the problem.
Quote:
I feel very lucky then..and i am not being a smart ass by saying it. It is so incredibly quiet here and my neighbors are all good people.
Nothing wrong with intelligent donkeys!
Quote:
Yep the list goes on and on i rented for about 20 years and in my opinion there is nothing good about renting even if the other tenants are nice. Well one good thing it's shelter.
Aw... In my apartment days at least half the time my apartments were great! But the other half the time...
Quote:
I have a steel front door with no peep hole so i looked out the window it was a guy with a star badge on his belt.
Probably a sheriff or marshal serving a warrant, or a process server. Should'a looked at the arm patches. Anybody can buy a shiny badge. However I think it sounds like bad news for your nasty neighbor.

Sadly, renting sucks a lot of the time. It's a crap shoot, and even when it's good all it takes is one neighbor moving out and a new, nasty replacement moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting