Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 09:10 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times

Advertisements

Hi, I did rent my house and now I'm thinking about never to rent again. I was lucky because I have renters insurance and a 1500.00 deposit which made my renters not likely to destory my house but still trashed the house very bad. All light bulbs are burnt out and was never replaced. The furance filter never was changed. I rented to all boys in College. I lived nexted door and still had problems with the renters driving on the lawn and destroying small bushes and plants in the yard by running over them. My house is a 1800 sq.ft. home. I think it's better to sell then rent anymore because people don't care about property. That even with familys and students.

John
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2008, 09:12 AM

288 posts, read 1,556,147 times
It's a shame Mr. Belushi had to bite the dust. He had tons of potential!

Old 03-04-2008, 09:39 AM

2,042 posts, read 4,560,354 times
Give it another try. Get a family in there. Not all renters will be bad. I think a house full of young guys is a guarantee of some kind of issues even if just bad housekeeping. I've rented my house for the past 10 years. Everything was old, worn, and outdated when we moved in. We've added ceiling fans, light fixtures, replaced old light switches and receptacles, and I just finished renovating the bathroom. I'm currently painting the living room and scraping old paint off of the 100 year old woodwork. Even though I rent, I take pride in where I live. Get a tenant that wants a home, not just a temporary stopping point while they go through college.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:27 PM

1,667 posts, read 9,387,862 times
I'm sorry, I got off on the wrong planet again. Drats! On my planet, renters steal furniture and fixtures, doors, flowers, and appliances. They terrorize neighbors, pile up court summons' and file frivolous law suits on landlords. They break windows, spray-paint interior trim, collect garbage and car parts in back yard, fall down stairs and sue, run up water and electric bills until utilities are turned off and house is threatened to be condemned. Then skip out without paying rent or cleaning out refrigerator. Animal House is a good analogy. When I first saw it, I thought it was a documentary. Sorry, just venting. Ahhh, I feel better now.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:33 PM

8,893 posts, read 4,546,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
Give it another try. Get a family in there. Not all renters will be bad. I think a house full of young guys is a guarantee of some kind of issues even if just bad housekeeping. I've rented my house for the past 10 years. Everything was old, worn, and outdated when we moved in. We've added ceiling fans, light fixtures, replaced old light switches and receptacles, and I just finished renovating the bathroom. I'm currently painting the living room and scraping old paint off of the 100 year old woodwork. Even though I rent, I take pride in where I live. Get a tenant that wants a home, not just a temporary stopping point while they go through college.
I totally agree, I am a renter also. We take pride and respect the property we rent. I have a great landlord, he see's that we take care of the property and fix things also. When we do need something done that maybe is a little costly our landlord has no problem getting what we need. Renting is a two-way street.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:35 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,281,119 times
My god....wtf is wrong with people?
Im sorry you had to deal with that.

I dont think there is a age classification/life classification you can feel safe with.
I NEVER did anything like that nor would I ever.I ahve been renting since I was 18.
Even when I dealt with total slum lords I cleaned the place spotless before leaving and fixed everything. Usually I dont even put nails in the walls. I use the ones that are already there or nothing goes up.
I am the wierdo that even goes and puts in all new 9Vs in the smoke detectors and bomb for fleas before I leave just in case my house cats attracted any.

But I also plan on buying a house ASAP because I do hate the majority of renter type behavior. I dont know how people just slop up where they live.
A "family" I lived by got in fist fights and sold drugs out of the complex they lived in.
There was even yelling about guns at one point.

I think everyone is crazy anymore

Old 03-14-2008, 09:33 AM

12,063 posts, read 31,650,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hi, I did rent my house and now I'm thinking about never to rent again. I was lucky because I have renters insurance and a 1500.00 deposit which made my renters not likely to destory my house but still trashed the house very bad. All light bulbs are burnt out and was never replaced. The furance filter never was changed. I rented to all boys in College. I lived nexted door and still had problems with the renters driving on the lawn and destroying small bushes and plants in the yard by running over them. My house is a 1800 sq.ft. home. I think it's better to sell then rent anymore because people don't care about property. That even with familys and students.

John
So the worst they did was not change light bulbs and didn't change the furnace filter? Give me a break. If you can't handle that then you definitely shoudn't be a landlord. you're way too high maintenance.

Old 03-15-2008, 07:11 AM

1,942 posts, read 8,494,957 times
I hate to say don't rent to younger people because I am sure there are tons of great young renters...but you know what, I was going to say it...but now I'm not.

I have seen college kids' houses they were renting- actually went into one when I was thinking of buying and HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!! It was a sh&t hole!!!!! They trashed the place, food all over.....underwear...and they were still living in it!

But then again, I have seen nasty renters that are families....younger people... it can be anyone actually who is a poor renter.

To play it more safe, I would ask for, if you're allowed to by law, a heavier security deposit more than a month. People do hate not getting money back.

Definitely do a background check on previous rentals before renting, and I would consider not renting to someone if it's their first time whic means they have no background(sorry you first time renters!).

Old 03-15-2008, 07:37 PM

3,087 posts, read 1,076,870 times
I was thinking of buying a 4unit place that has 3 beds in each and living in one,having the other for when family comes,and renting the other two to college students but now I don't know! Have never been a landlord so I don't know what I'd be in for. I guess from what little I've read so far in this forum ya need to get a lot in writing. I'll keep reading.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:51 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,638,312 times
Here is the pictures of my rental house after my renters left. Second picture is the living room carpet which has had motor oil spilled on it. My living room and hallway carpet must be replaced. I wish my only problem was only light bulds and furace filter.

John

Last edited by JD59; 03-13-2012 at 03:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting