Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 03:23 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,764,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyww View Post
Hi,

A new tenant moved in my 1 bedroom apartment on 2/1/2017. We walked through the place together and she signed the moved in list. She sent in an amended one on 2/7, claiming that there is a drainage problem in the shower. We sent in a plumber on the same day to fix the problem. It was noted that the same plumber was sent in the unit one week before she moved in to fix a diverter problem and they didn't report or notice a drainage problem.

Here comes March and she sent me a text today, saying that she wants a rent reduction and she doesn't want to pay rent for 2/1/2017 to 2/7/2017 since the unit was not habitable. I said she didn't report the problem until 2/7 and she claimed she didn't totally move in so she didn't discover the problem until then.

During her application, she wanted us to let her move in on 2/1 but not pay until 2/7. We didn't think it was fair and she finally signed the lease starting at 2/1.

I have been a landlord for over 20 years and I haven't encountered a tenant who doesn't want to pay rent due to a drainage problem, especially when this problem was not even reported until a week later. As I understand it, the tenant needs to inform the landlord of the problem and if the landlord doesn't fix it in time, the tenant needs to inform the landlord in writing that he/she might repair it first and seek reimbursement from the landlord. I don't think the tenant can just arbitrarily not pay part of the rent. I mean if she can show me receipt that she did stay in a hotel due to the drainage problem, then I can certainly reimburse the expenses. It doesn't make sense that she is staying in the place, enjoying all the amenities and then claim it is not habitable.

She is quoting various laws for tenant's right and I just said we'll have to settle our differences per our rental agreement. Then she got very upset and said if I don't reimburse her for those days, she is going to take me to court. If she pays partial rent, what should be my course of action? Should I refuse to accept the partial rent and file a "3 day pay or quit"? Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.
Yes refuse the partial and do a 3 day pay or quit. When someone shows you who they are believe them. She has shown you that she is trouble and is threatening you with tenants rights issues over nonsense.

I would actually offer to let her out of the lease since she's not happy there. Take the full rent for March and offer to let her out of the lease and she can find a place where she will be happy in 30 days.

I hope you ran her credit and did an eviction check beforehand because she sounds like she has issues and problems with LLs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2017, 06:27 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,512,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
This is not going to help you for this tenant, but two things.

Every time I have a vacancy, I test all the drains and all the plumbing. I'd rather fix it while the unit is vacant than to have to do it right after a new tenant moves in. Shower drain is 99.9% caused by hair in the drain that you can remove yourself in 45 seconds, using a Zip-it.

If I had an applicant who wanted to move in on the first and not start paying rent until the 7th, I would have rejected that applicant out of hand. Just a lifetime of experience lets me know that the applicant is going to be trouble. No negotiation, just no. (I tell them they can't move in until all fees are paid and if they want to start paying rent on the 7th, they can call me on the seventh and ask if the unit is still available-- but that is a polite way to reject them)

Any time an applicant asks if they can paint, or change the place in any way, or make payments on the deposit, or wants you to hold the place for them for free, or thinks they can move in without paying 100% of rent and fees and deposits before they can move in, reject that applicant automatically. Don't negotiate with them, just reject them.

That's a tenant who does not really understand that they don't own the building, they don't understand that they can't decorate someone else's house, and they don't see any reason at all why they should have to pay for what they get and they think the landlord is supposed to wait for his money until it is convenient for the tenant. In short, they are going to cause you problems in the future.

In future, whatever your state law allows for the time period to start an eviction, do it as soon as possible. I can give the pay or quite on day 5 or day 7 (state law, but both go to court on the same day). I give notice on day 5 that I will start legal eviction of they do not pay immediately. So far, 100% of the tenants who want me to wait for my rent, cough up the money immediately and they pay on time after that. If they are short on cash, someone else does not get paid. But they know their landlord doesn't hesitate to evict, so they pay their rent first.

If you don't get really tough on this current tenant, she is going to make your life hell in the future.
Amen.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTony View Post
We have a clause in lease indicating that tenants are responsible for reporting issues immediately to us in writing and if there are things which are not the result of land lord negligence then they pay one time fee of $75 for the maintenance guy to show up and diagnose the issue. There have been times where we found some issues that were never reported by previous tenants. At the same time, some tenants have been appreciative when they contact us about an issue knowing that if its some BS problem or anything due to their fault they would have to pay for it. This ensures that they do some enough due diligence at their end before reaching out to us.

We had a prospective tenant who wanted to reduce the deposit amount because she felt the house wasn't professionally cleaned. We had it cleaned a week ago and showed her the receipt. Then she had an issue about room paint being a neutral color and wanted $50 off the rent or repainted to neutral color.... ..
LOL, uh no. But, as far as the one-time fee, it depends on the state. In CA, no refundable fees are allowed in any way shape or form. All fees are considered to be part of the deposit money, and then are under the laws regarding security deposits.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
Yes refuse the partial and do a 3 day pay or quit. When someone shows you who they are believe them. She has shown you that she is trouble and is threatening you with tenants rights issues over nonsense.

I would actually offer to let her out of the lease since she's not happy there. Take the full rent for March and offer to let her out of the lease and she can find a place where she will be happy in 30 days.

I hope you ran her credit and did an eviction check beforehand because she sounds like she has issues and problems with LLs
Depending on the laws, you can take the partial payment, and still give them an eviction notice for non-payment, because they still owe you money. But, it would have to be checked out per the local, or state laws.

I think you could accept it with an immediate notice that the partial payment does not equal any kind of waiver as far as paying the full amount of rent when due, something like that.

Old 03-01-2017, 06:44 AM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
Sounds just like my ex-tenant. This is just the beginning. Hope you check references and court records prior. Hope you are not posting of a tenant in MBTS, MA.

Old 03-01-2017, 07:21 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,593,779 times
don't start making adjustments every month. that person will want to do it over and over.. say No, your total rent is due on the 1st of the month, period.

Old 03-01-2017, 08:26 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Exclamation ah...

She's just trying to stick it to you...send her a nice list of Lawyers and wish her the best of luck along with a note advising of termination of lease if she doesn't pay...stick it right back.
Koale

Old 03-01-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koale View Post
She's just trying to stick it to you...send her a nice list of Lawyers and wish her the best of luck along with a note advising of termination of lease if she doesn't pay...stick it right back.
Koale

Old 03-03-2017, 01:55 PM

4,514 posts, read 2,524,730 times
Get her out now. Even if you end up not getting a dime from her. She's going to be a nightmare that you will regret.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:18 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,591,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubyww View Post
Hi,

A new tenant moved in my 1 bedroom apartment on 2/1/2017. We walked through the place together and she signed the moved in list. She sent in an amended one on 2/7, claiming that there is a drainage problem in the shower. We sent in a plumber on the same day to fix the problem. It was noted that the same plumber was sent in the unit one week before she moved in to fix a diverter problem and they didn't report or notice a drainage problem.

Here comes March and she sent me a text today, saying that she wants a rent reduction and she doesn't want to pay rent for 2/1/2017 to 2/7/2017 since the unit was not habitable. I said she didn't report the problem until 2/7 and she claimed she didn't totally move in so she didn't discover the problem until then.

During her application, she wanted us to let her move in on 2/1 but not pay until 2/7. We didn't think it was fair and she finally signed the lease starting at 2/1.

I have been a landlord for over 20 years and I haven't encountered a tenant who doesn't want to pay rent due to a drainage problem, especially when this problem was not even reported until a week later. As I understand it, the tenant needs to inform the landlord of the problem and if the landlord doesn't fix it in time, the tenant needs to inform the landlord in writing that he/she might repair it first and seek reimbursement from the landlord. I don't think the tenant can just arbitrarily not pay part of the rent. I mean if she can show me receipt that she did stay in a hotel due to the drainage problem, then I can certainly reimburse the expenses. It doesn't make sense that she is staying in the place, enjoying all the amenities and then claim it is not habitable.

She is quoting various laws for tenant's right and I just said we'll have to settle our differences per our rental agreement. Then she got very upset and said if I don't reimburse her for those days, she is going to take me to court. If she pays partial rent, what should be my course of action? Should I refuse to accept the partial rent and file a "3 day pay or quit"? Any advice and help will be greatly appreciated.
Sounds like you might have plumbing issues there. As a contractor myself sometimes problems are intermittent . Either way she sounds half right not being able to use plumbing but can't go about it by withholding rent.

What was her rental history like? I wouldn't evict someone with a stable rent history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting