Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 28,010 times

Advertisements

I have a parking space assigned to me with my apartment. My lease says I need my car registered and legal to be parked on the property. After being laid off, I changed my registration to non-op until I found gainful employment. My landlord has told me unless and have my car registered for street use, it will be towed. My car is legally parked, registered as non-op, and not in violation of any law. Can my landlord do that?

Last edited by Lardzor; 02-09-2013 at 01:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 01:02 PM

320 posts, read 480,444 times
Is it possible that a non-op vehicle is in violation of your complex's HOA rules?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:08 PM

2 posts, read 28,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Monkey View Post
Is it possible that a non-op vehicle is in violation of your complex's HOA rules?
I looked up HOA and it's an acronym for Home-Owners Association. I'm not a Home Owner, and I don't have anything other than my lease as far as I know.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:27 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,476,176 times
Are you still on an annual lease, or are you on month to month?

If still on annual with more months to go, I would let landlord know that you are abiding by the lease terms. Your vehicle is registered and is legal.

If the landlord tows the vehicle, he would be breaking the agreed upon terms as signed in the lease. You could sue him for costs related to the tow and retrieval plus he would owe you court costs when you win. You would win.

You can call the police and stop the tow. Make sure to have some extra copies of the lease that show the exact wording about the car. Highlight it.

If the lease is on month to month, the landlord can give you new lease terms with 30 day notice(or whatever notice is required per your lease/state law.) He can modify the lease terms to be more specific about the registration type of the vehile. He could simply specify that non-opt registration is not allowed.

How much time is left on your lease? If lots of time, you can send him certified return receipt mail stating the exact wording of the lease, the date signed and let him know you are abiding by the lease terms and that your car is legally registered (can give reg# and dates) and if he tows your car it is against the rules and you will call the police and also take legal action to recover all monies related to towing/retrieval/impound fees, etc.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:39 PM

13,926 posts, read 39,279,249 times
The owner of the house your renting should have gave you the HOA rules in addition to whats on the Lease. Yes you have to follow ALL rules. In my apt complex cars must be Tag Titled Insp & Insured Or get towed!

Old 02-09-2013, 01:53 PM

106,583 posts, read 108,739,314 times
Those rules in an hoa are very common.
They are to prevent you from having 3 cars that are not mobile and a home that is on the property.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:56 PM

32,634 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Yes, your landlord can do that. Take the car down to a storage yard and pay to leave it there until you want to register it for the street again.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:01 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
I managed a home in Pittsburg CA where the tenant had a second car registered as Non-OP...

I didn't make a big deal as long as it was kept clean and the tires were not flat.

The city cited the owner for having a non-operational vehicle in public view...

Old story of no good deed goes unpunished... city could care less it was registered as Non-Op.

Code required a vehicle not operable whether due to mechanical condition or not having a current tag to be within a permitted structure and not in public view... a fenced yard in a zoned residential area was not acceptable.

Old 02-12-2013, 03:39 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,007,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lardzor View Post
I have a parking space assigned to me with my apartment. My lease says I need my car registered and legal to be parked on the property. After being laid off, I changed my registration to non-op until I found gainful employment. My landlord has told me unless and have my car registered for street use, it will be towed. My car is legally parked, registered as non-op, and not in violation of any law. Can my landlord do that?
Yes, your landlord can do that. Non op is another way of saying 'dead car parked'. No one wants a dead car parked in their parking lot. As someone else suggested, move it somewhere offsite until it's ready for the road.

Old 02-14-2013, 12:23 PM

819 posts, read 3,207,460 times
Why did you change the registration? Are you not using the car daily?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting