Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 07:15 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,684,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Unfortunately if it's not illegal and you signed the lease agreeing you're stuck with it.
That may or may not be true. If the landlord is charging an ongoing late fee, they may have a legal duty to mitigate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2017, 07:18 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amfjdno View Post
Hi all.

I've lived in the same unit for about a year and never had a late rent check. The landlord doesn't live in the building, so every month we have to mail the check to her. It has to be there by the 1st of the month; after that we are charged $25/day in late fees.

On March 25, I put my rent check in the mail. I took a picture of it beforehand for personal records. But, I sent it through normal mail (no tracking number or anything).

This evening, April 18, I texted the handyman about a broken smoke alarm. In the course of the conversation, he said "the landlord mentioned to me yesterday that you didn't pay your rent this month, is everything ok?" I was totally shocked - somehow, it must have gotten lost in the mail, or been misplaced at the landlord's office - because I definitely mailed it, and have the date-stamped picture of it in my postal box.

The landlord has not attempted to contact me about this - no letters, emails, phone calls... nothing! If she had, I would have sent another one immediately. Now, I'm looking at $475 in late fees, and would have been even more if I hadn't had the chance conversation with the handyman.

So my question is:
1) is there an obligation for the landlord to notify their tenant that the rent was not received before they start charging late fees?
2) can landlords disclose my payment status to other members of the staff (i.e. the handyman) instead of telling me directly?
3) do I have any grounds to dispute the fee, given that I had no way to know the check didn't make it there, and have a perfect record otherwise?

I live in Missouri, if that helps.

Thanks!
You didn't have any bank balance discrepancy? I guess I'd be checking to see if my check cleared if I was facing 25.00 late fees. I'd also be sending it with a signature required upon delivery, or at least a confirmation of delivery receipt.

I am not sure what legal standing you will have.....Speak to your LL and see if you can work this out asap. Especially if you've been a good renter.

As far as her workman knowing, perhaps she mentioned this in passing when you were making demands on a house repair.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:44 AM

4,504 posts, read 3,032,058 times
1. I check my bank account daily. I suggest everyone do that.
2. Why was the manager gossiping to the handyman about who hasn't paid rent? It's none of his business.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
That may or may not be true. If the landlord is charging an ongoing late fee, they may have a legal duty to mitigate.
Again if in your state it is not illegal (this means against the law) to charge a daily late fee you're stuck with it.

Mitigation is usually for a lease break. In order for me to mitigate the tenant has to break the lease. At this time all we have is a late payment. Tenant has. It broken the lease. There isn't anything for me to mitigate

The LLmshould of sent in a 3 day pay quit notice. That was where the LL failed

Old 04-26-2017, 02:32 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
1. I check my bank account daily. I suggest everyone do that.
That's what I said to do. Most banks have a 24-hour automated access line so people can check their current balance and see what debits and credits have cleared (or not). There is also online banking which gives people the same ability to check their accounts.

Old 04-26-2017, 02:52 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,128,038 times
In Arizona my contract says nothing except rent due on the 1st, no grace period, late fee is $15/day. Rent is to be deposited at any branch of my bank, I supply deposit tickets (PDF). (Each house has 3-4 branches within 10 minutes of their houses.)

However I don't like getting late fees. They make me feel bad seeing tenants waste their money like that. If I don't see their deposit evening of the 1st I send them a WTH? email. If that doesn't work I phone them. I don't care if I'm legally required to do it, I do it because I want to know where my damned money is!

I know almost 100% that next month one departing tenant is not going to pay their rent. I'm sending them a 5 day notice to pay or quit (despite the cost, I'm not in the same state). I can already tell this is going to be going south and I'll probably post a "help" topic next week.

ETA:

For a while I was living in a 5th wheel trailer in a trailer park with a nasty manager, and I paid by check usually a few days early and even though it was a check I always demanded a receipt. Lose my check not my fault.

Also, note that USPS can lose up to almost 1% of first class mail in my experience. Virtually all my billing, credit cards, utilities etc. are on auto-pay.

Old 04-26-2017, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Again if in your state it is not illegal (this means against the law) to charge a daily late fee you're stuck with it.
Again, that may or may not be true in this case.

Quote:
Mitigation is usually for a lease break. In order for me to mitigate the tenant has to break the lease. At this time all we have is a late payment. Tenant has. It broken the lease. There isn't anything for me to mitigate
The duty to mitigate against damages is a broad common-law principle. It need not be specifically written into the statute.

Quote:
The LLmshould of sent in a 3 day pay quit notice. That was where the LL failed
Agreed -- in fact the LL's best argument under Missouri law may be that the LL hasn't even notified her the rent is due.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:43 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
Charging $25 a day in late fees? Don't fail to mitigate. You don't get to claim you're suffering $25 a day in damages while sitting on your ass and doing nothing about it.
$25 a day is cheap....again, you don't like paying late fees, don't pay your bills late.

Your landlord doesn't have to mitigate anything...you pay late, you pay late fees.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
$25 a day is cheap
No it isn't, it effectively doubles the rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Your landlord doesn't have to mitigate anything...you pay late, you pay late fees.
Yes he does. The law doesn't permit you to turn a damage claim into an opportunity to profit from your own inaction.

Old 04-26-2017, 06:51 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,026,661 times
Quote:
No it isn't, it effectively doubles the rent.

Yes he does. The law doesn't permit you to turn a damage claim into an opportunity to profit from your own inaction.
Yes, it is cheap and if you paid your rent on time you wouldn't be paying that late fee.

No, he doesn't. Late fees are late fees, not damages. You mitigate damages, not late fees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting