Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinusa View Post
......... She is paying $1200, and the going rent is $1600-$1700. ........a tenant for 7 years now.
I like to keep rents slightly under market, but $400 a month under market is a bit too much of a discount. You are basically taking $400 out of your own pocket and off your family's dinner table to pay part of your tenant's living expenses for her.

That's why many experienced landlords always raise rent a little bit every year. If you had been raising her rent $50 a year, she'd be paying close to market rate, but still under market so that she wouldn't want to move.

I doubt that you can raise rent by $400, but it is time to start raising it every year. If you really want to keep her, make it a $50 raise and do it every year so the rent doesn't get further and further behind market rate. It would be better to raise it $100 a month so that you would catch up to market rate sooner.

No wait. Make that $60 raise. That's a 5% raise and no one could consider a 5% raise to be unreasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 02:38 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
When you rent you are simply paying for a service. When you go to a mechanic you're not paying his electric bill. You're paying to get your car fixed. No different with the rent. You're paying for the use of a house as shelter.

What a LL does with the money is his business. You have no financial investment in the property so you shouldn't benefit from any gains/discounts/rebates etc that the LL gets. As if we get property tax reduction. Might as well ask for profit sharing. I'm surprised you didn't throw that in.

Yeah it's hard to find tenants to pay rent on time I'm sure some will rush right out and pay the property tax. On time.

Here is a idea, go buy your own rentals then you can be the benefactor to all the tenants who want all the things you want.
You might last a year. Maybe

Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property.

Protectionist, NIMBY government does not allow the sale of rental property at a scale I can afford to purchase. I'm confident that if I owned rental property, I could provide better service for less money AND improve my neighborhood as well. But barriers to entry are high so the greediest and best-financed win in this business.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:12 PM

66 posts, read 61,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldKlas View Post
Just fyi; in the past 5 years my taxes on my rental properties in Dallas (where the OP is a LL) have doubled! My insurance has also almost doubled.

My tenants, in the post I made above, leased their rental house from me at $900/mo. 5 years ago and right now their rent is $1175 in a neighborhood where rents are $1400-1600.
Small starter homes.

Taxes are about $3500 annually; Insurance is about $1200; maintenance varies alot. Then, there's mortgage for most landlords, too.
My expenses are about the same. Home is actually in Denton County. Property tax last year was $3200. This year tax is proposed to be at $3600. Home tax value is $179,000 and insurance is $1200 a year also.

I am slightly worried about the inevitable Air Conditioner repair. If it completely died I would have to probably do the work myself. They get quite expensive. I still spent $4000 replacing the system on my home now just for parts at a deep discount. They typically last around 12 years I am told. This system is from 2007 or 10 years old. Maybe two more seasons if I'm lucky. I am leaning towards giving notice in September the rent will be $50 higher January 1st. Seems like the best approach. She had talked about getting a roommate to afford expenses this summer. That would definitely be a new lease and a rent increase.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckinusa View Post
My expenses are about the same. Home is actually in Denton County. Property tax last year was $3200. This year tax is proposed to be at $3600. Home tax value is $179,000 and insurance is $1200 a year also.

I am slightly worried about the inevitable Air Conditioner repair. If it completely died I would have to probably do the work myself. They get quite expensive. I still spent $4000 replacing the system on my home now just for parts at a deep discount. They typically last around 12 years I am told. This system is from 2007 or 10 years old. Maybe two more seasons if I'm lucky. I am leaning towards giving notice in September the rent will be $50 higher January 1st. Seems like the best approach. She had talked about getting a roommate to afford expenses this summer. That would definitely be a new lease and a rent increase.

If she gets a roommate bring the rent up to close to going rate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Renting is where you pay a premium to enjoy temporary, impaired use of property.

Protectionist, NIMBY government does not allow the sale of rental property at a scale I can afford to purchase. I'm confident that if I owned rental property, I could provide better service for less money AND improve my neighborhood as well. But barriers to entry are high so the greediest and best-financed win in this business.

Renting is where you have the full USE of a property without having to do anything but live in it and pay the agreed upon price.

No you couldn't provide the service and quality or improve the neighborhood you think you can for the lowest price. No matter what you think it takes money to run a business. It also takes money to make a property desirable to tenants. And ultimately I know you don't like to hear this, I'm in business to make money. I'm happy that I can offer great safe properties and the ability to take care and maintain then. But ultimately I am in it to make a profit. That's why going to the 99 cent store isn't the same as going into a Ralph's. Because in order to offer quality and attract customers you're not going to do it on a 99 cent budget

The barriers are only high because you have no money to buy anything with. You give the SAME excuses and tired repetitive answers. Let's assume you have some money to buy something. Why don't you spell out this great business plan. Let's hear it. Let's see what the hottest idea since the sun is. How are you going to do all these things and still make a profit.
You think all these people who bought rentals didnt take risks or have a hard time getting Then? You think they all just crapped out bundles of cash?

Your posts are full of Whaaaaa I can't. That's why you can't. Because you don't have the mental drive and fortitude to do something more than go to your minimum wage job and complain on CD about how badly you are treated and life isn't fair.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting