Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2017, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 368 times

Advertisements

I started using this online form to collect rental applications: [url]https://www.elbowspace.com/FRHformexample158[/url]
Is there any legal ramifications by doing this rather
than having them sign in person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2017, 10:31 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
I didn't look at your form, so I don't know if it violates any laws, but there is no legal reason you can't accept applications online.

I don't. Everyone who applies from me must come and look at the house in person. I want to see them, see what they look like, smell for cigarette smoke, see how they keep their car.

I have also had problems more than once where a person arrived, didn't like the rental and caused a ruckus. I've also had people lie about how long they intended to stay when all they wanted was a place to unload the U-Haul while they looked for a more expensive place to rent or for a pace to buy. I don't want short term tenants.

You don't have to have tenants sign in front of you., They can go to a notary and fax or FedEx the lease back to you.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:25 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
The "application" the person fills out is information gathering which can be done electronically or in person. So long as your application doesn't violate the law, do whatever works. An application alone is not the basis for an approval so how they give us the information we ask as part of the process is meaningless.

Old 05-18-2017, 12:53 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
Lots of real estate transactions seem to be done with Docusign or some other software. So, if it works for realtors buying and selling houses, I can't see what's wrong with having a lease signed electronically.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Tentative tenants contact me to see the apartment.

During the walk-through, i give them my card [with my email address] and I encourage them to email me.

When they email me, I send them the application and lease. I expect the application to be filled out and the lease signed, and returned to me, before I meet them a second time.

At the second meeting [the lease has already been signed]. I give them a key and I take the security deposit and rent check.

My applications and leases are pdfs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting