Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2017, 04:01 PM

264 posts, read 702,110 times

Advertisements

Hope this isn't a duplicate concern. Searched and found nothing similar.

We are moving out of state. Of course we are searching for rentals in all the normal places, with Craigslist being one. Found one in an area that has great schools, close to work, etc. The price is $1895 a month in an area that others are listed at $2400. I have exchanged emails with the owner. The usual stuff but he is a bit wordy, but that's ok. He sent an application for us to fill out. I explained that we would be in the area next weekend and would like to view the property being making a decision. He has not asked for money but did say that if the app was approved, we could put down the deposit to secure the home. Of course only submit a deposit in person after I view the home.

The app does not ask for our SS numbers just birth dates. Not sure you can steal an identity with that or not. We looked up the CAD for the area and it is his name as the owner. Looked him up on facebook and he does live in the area.

Should I be cautious of filling out the app and then asking to view the property next weekend? There is not an app fee, which also makes me a bit iffy. Of course if he asked for money first that would be the end of the conversation. It's a nice place, but it does seem a bit low. If this is a scam, then someone is pulling out all the stops.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2017, 04:05 PM

Also should add that they wanted copies of last three pay stubs. Mine do not have SS numbers on them. Just home address and the usual stuff.

Old 05-28-2017, 07:34 AM

195 posts, read 216,781 times
I would be cautious. Since you are going to be in the area next weekend, just wait. For one, just because he is using the same name as the owner listed with the Appraisal District, it doesn't mean that is really his name. Also, if a house is lower than the others in the area, there is probably a reason, such as condition.
Most landlords will want you to fill out an application that requires SS#'s so they can check your credit. I would wait

Old 05-28-2017, 10:09 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
There is usually a reason that a place rents for $1895 when everything equal rents for $2400.

There is usually a housing shortage if rentals are bringing $2400. In my area, if I advertised a rental for $500 less than the going rate, I would have hundreds of applicants within the first 24 hours. That place should have been rented the very first day it was advertised, unless there is something really undesirable about it.

I'm just pointing out that maybe you should be a little bit cautious about things that seem too good to be true.

(Yes, I have a place that rents for $400 less than a comparable size house, but mine is a 1970 mobile home. Even so, I will get about 150 phone calls about it and over 30 applicants. There is no reason to hold it for someone who is coming from out of town in a couple of weeks)

Old 05-28-2017, 04:15 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Think global, rent local.

Old 05-28-2017, 05:05 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
I helped my son find an out of state rental two years ago. One of the choices was a great looking house, good price and a scam. I think you're okay waiting until you actually see the property before doing an application.

Old 05-29-2017, 07:05 PM

Thanks folks. We're going to drive by the home when we visit this weekend. If there is a sign in the yard, then I'll get in touch with the guy. Thought about knocking on door and asking. Who knows, he might not be aware someone is trying to rent his home, LOL.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:17 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
There is usually a reason that a place rents for $1895 when everything equal rents for $2400.

There is usually a housing shortage if rentals are bringing $2400. In my area, if I advertised a rental for $500 less than the going rate, I would have hundreds of applicants within the first 24 hours. That place should have been rented the very first day it was advertised, unless there is something really undesirable about it.

I'm just pointing out that maybe you should be a little bit cautious about things that seem too good to be true.

(Yes, I have a place that rents for $400 less than a comparable size house, but mine is a 1970 mobile home. Even so, I will get about 150 phone calls about it and over 30 applicants. There is no reason to hold it for someone who is coming from out of town in a couple of weeks)
I'm thinking about my last two relocations. I looked at a lot of locations that looked like great deals. I would plug them into the map on my computer and see that they really seemed to be great deals. When I landed and got into my rental car, and plugged them into my phone, I quickly learned why.

They weren't scams, but my lack of local knowledge made me see "great deals" when there weren't any. Someone from Chicago or Long Island sees a home for sale 45 minutes north of Raleigh and thinks, "man, what a deal." They don't realize that its way out in the sticks in a mediocre town where the height of culture is a breakfast buffet followed by a Wal-Mart run after Church on Sunday. You see an apartment 3/4 of a mile from a great night spot...and realize its under an overpass and up against public housing or has the prison for a backyard.

Old 05-30-2017, 08:58 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
Just think about it for a second. Why would he leave over $500/month or $6000 rent on the table if it wasn't either a scam or something seriously wrong with it (location, condition etc...). No one in their right mind throws away an opportunity at an extra $6,000 per year to be nice and get the place rented quick.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:31 AM

68 posts, read 90,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin-HomeGirl View Post
I would be cautious. Since you are going to be in the area next weekend, just wait. For one, just because he is using the same name as the owner listed with the Appraisal District, it doesn't mean that is really his name. Also, if a house is lower than the others in the area, there is probably a reason, such as condition.
Most landlords will want you to fill out an application that requires SS#'s so they can check your credit. I would wait
I agree with you. I would also wait.
Thanks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting