Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2017, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,904 times

Advertisements

Any advice is appreciated!

I currently live in a rent-stabilized apartment in NYC. My roommates who are on the lease are moving out and this lease is almost up, so we have to sign a new lease with my name. However, this means that the landlord will renovate the (very old) apartment so they can significantly increase the rent.

(They renovated the apt next door to us, and raised the rent by over $600! We are students and can't afford such a major increase in rent, but have no choice but to sign a new contract since we can't renew).

Since my other roommate and I have been living here for 3 years already (but our names are not on the current lease, listed only as "roommates"), when this lease expires next month, is it possible to ask management to renovate *only* the broken creaky wooden floors and nothing else, so that they don't have to increase the rent by that much?

The floors have been a major problem and the neighbor complains about us walking even though we practically tip-toe since the floors are in such bad shape. We don't need new appliances or a completely renovated kitchen and bathroom like they did with the other apt, just for the floors to be re-done since they're in terrible shape and transmit the slightest noise and are really disrupting our lives. I assume management won't allow only partial renovations since they want to increase the rent as much as possible for the new lease :/ Is there any way I can convince them?

Thanks for your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2017, 08:54 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer2345 View Post
...this means that the landlord will renovate the (very old) apartment so they can significantly increase the rent.
This means that once the current tenants are out the landlord will renovate.

Quote:
when this lease expires next month, is it possible to ask...
In a word... no.

You're only option (as I see it) is to find qualified roomies and ask for a fresh lease.
The same as you'll have to do at any other address.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:51 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
You can ask whatever you want, just be prepared to be denied quickly.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:07 AM

6,563 posts, read 8,402,207 times
Are you certain the LL intends to have you sign a new lease?

If the apartment is slated for a full renovation, it will be easier to do that if it's vacant. Which means, your LL may expect that you (and your roomies) will vacate at the end of the current lease.

Old 06-05-2017, 11:20 AM

539 posts, read 567,447 times
^right. Places usually fully renovate unnocupied units. Its cheaper and faster and is worth the month missed of rent.

Plan on moving at the end of your lease. Or negotiate a rent increase with NO added renovations if you really want to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting