Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2017, 06:37 PM

1 posts, read 582 times

Advertisements

I've lived in my apartment for awhile now, love it with no complaints. My upstairs neighbor is a young girl, quiet, whom I've never had an issue with until now. About 2 months ago she moved in some guy, possibly a boyfriend who makes enough noise to wake the dead and I'm not kidding. He stomps so hard the walls literally vibrate and shake, he also throws very heavy objects down onto the floor late at night waking me up and terrifying my dogs, then gets up and stomps every morning between 5:30--7:30 am. Apartment is all carpeted, but it still sounds like a 500 lb sumo wrestler with bricks attached to his feet whenever he walks. I never had an issue with noise from the girl before he moved in. I can hear every room he goes into, but he's in my room about 90% of the time. I also think he spends a lot of time playing video games or something similar because he'll frequently yell and jump up and down (which of course, practically swings my ceiling fan).

For the first few weeks I ignored it, because I figured maybe he was a relative or friend visiting her for a bit, but now it's almost been 3 months and he's still here, all day everyday, so I'd say that theory is out. I called the office and the woman said that it's only the girl on the lease so I don't know how much they or I can do since he technically isn't a resident. I'm afraid to confront him because it probably won't do anything and I wouldn't be shocked if he used "I don't live here so you can't do anything about it" as a defense.

Anything else I can do? I've tried ear plugs and white noise and neither worked, I can still hear him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 07:00 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,018,824 times
Call the manager again and tell them that he's been living there for 3 mths and is disturbing you. they will issue a 3 day pay or quit...either she gets him on the lease or he leaves. However, if she adds him to the lease and he continues to walk heavy there isn't much they can or will do..your best bet is that he can't qualify for the unit and will have to move or both will face eviction.

Old 05-30-2017, 11:42 PM

3,461 posts, read 4,702,236 times
Read your lease and see what it specifically states about "overnight guests" and how long you are allowed to have someone stay consecutively and how often, etc., so you are armed with ammunition. Most places that I am aware of allow up to 2 weeks max but it can definitely vary.

Neither you or management needs to confront the "guest' at all. If she (the tenant above you) is in fact allowing this 'guest' to stay longer than the lease stipulates then she is breaching her lease (based on the office stating that she is the only one on the lease). So if you told the office that he has been staying there for that long they should take action on her, the tenant, not the guest. Is what you stated in your OP the only thing the office said to you or did they say they would check into it and take action if necessary? If they didn't say anymore than you stated then I would keep on them about it if your lease does in fact have a clause regarding "overnight guests" and length of stays and if she has exceeded that time frame.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting