Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 10:58 AM

586 posts, read 555,174 times

Advertisements

I think the OP should test the waters of a new rental to see what they might say—and use the original post word-for-word. I mean, if she's right then surely a new landlord will see that, correct?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2017, 11:03 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
I think the OP should test the waters of a new rental to see what they might say—and use the original post word-for-word. I mean, if she's right then surely a new landlord will see that, correct?
OP has ceased posting since she didn't get the answer she was fishing for.

Just another of those intriguing stories without the ending. Although I can guess...

Old 06-11-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
OP has ceased posting since she didn't get the answer she was fishing for.

Just another of those intriguing stories without the ending. Although I can guess...
OP is in a precarious position with someone who "went there." Once the line is crossed, chances are it will be crossed again, especially if it involved someone who actually had to do time for being violent.

You don't take the chance on someone like that, you don't wait for them to get out of jail, and you don't plan your ability to find a place to live around them.

The OP needs therapy, or a better therapist if she has one.

Old 06-12-2017, 06:59 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,494,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
I've been wondering that, too. Is it a way to drive up readership and entice people to post?
There's a C-D contest going on right now. This likely explains the uptick in posts.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:42 PM

I think there should be a forum called "Dysfunctional Behavior—or Country Song Title?" where threads like this go.

My recent favorite is: "I'm A Great Tenant (But Don't Pay My Rent On Time)."

Last edited by Xelfer; 06-12-2017 at 06:00 PM..

Old 06-12-2017, 05:42 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lushomatic78 View Post
So sorry to waste your time with my my "one time wonder". Perhaps what is trivial or unimportant to you means something to another. I simply needed to hear some first hand experiences or knowledge. Did your mother not teach you that if you have nothing nice or constructive to say, say nothing at all.
Was the domestic violence issue at the property? Or somewhere else? I'm not sure if it was implied it was at the property or just that at some point in your relationship you two had issues.
Normally a LL cannot limit the guests you have unless they specifically write it in the lease no overnight guests or no guests allowed at all. If n a domestic violence issue you can actually break the lease and move.

Everyone is right. Your LL is not family. I can tell you that while I like my tenants I don't treat them like they are my relatives. While I'm glad I can offer clean safe rentals ultimately to me it's a business arrangement. To them it should be too.

If the domestic violence was at the premises I would not want your bf there either. But it would be pretty hard to enforce that rule for my rentals. Actually it would be practically impossible unless a neighbor called me.
Now if I caught you after specifically prohibiting your bf on the premises I would give you notice to vacate.
I'm glad I didn't have this type of situation to deal with

In California a L.l gas to give either 30 or 60 day notice to vacate or raise rent. . If you lived there less than 12 consecutive months to 30 days. Longer than 12 months its 60 days. So your LL can potentially have you be someone else's problem in 60 days

Old 06-12-2017, 09:11 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelfer View Post
OP is in a precarious position with someone who "went there." Once the line is crossed, chances are it will be crossed again, especially if it involved someone who actually had to do time for being violent.

You don't take the chance on someone like that, you don't wait for them to get out of jail, and you don't plan your ability to find a place to live around them.

The OP needs therapy, or a better therapist if she has one.
I agree with you, but I didn't want to get into that discussion with her. People who are caught up in codependent relationships, as she clearly is, just can't see that. Getting her to see the reality that her LL has the right to forbid her BF from the property may be as much as one can accomplish in a public forum. Sadly, I don't think we convinced her.

Old 06-13-2017, 04:26 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,207,141 times
" even after his successful completion of programs " and it's been 2 years with, apparently no more problems.
It sounds like the LLs haven't even seen him in 2 years if he hasn't been able to come there.
She did, however, say it is a small town so maybe they are aware that he hasn't really changed.
Guess only the OP can answer that one.
For the purposes of this thread, whether or not he has turned into a saint, the landlords see it their way and can force her out.

Old 06-13-2017, 10:11 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,010,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lushomatic78 View Post
I live in a small town in California. I have lived in my home for 11 years and three of those years my boyfriend lived with me. At one point my boyfriend and I were involved in a domestic violence issue. We went through legal issues he served some time he did his court appointed programs successfully and we have worked through our issues and we have had no issues since. My landlord's first and foremost were my employers for the last 14 years and when a home came available on their property they rented it to me. I am treated like family and I consider them family as well but ever since the domestic violence issues and even after his successful completion of programs they don't care for him. He no longer resides with me and hasn't for the last 2 years but they have told me that he cannot come on the property visit me at anytime or I would have to find another place to live. My boyfriend has done nothing but help me improve the status of my home for example building a beautiful backyard and helping me make it better. I understand they care for me like any other family member would but I think it's completely unfair that they won't allow my boyfriend to visit for even 10 minutes. He doesn't even spend the night. Can they legally kick me out if I have my boyfriend on the property visiting me because of a personal issue they have? He has never caused any problems with any other tenants on the property and is not a nuisance in any way. I have tried to talk to them about this issue and they said the choice is up to me either he doesn't come on the property or I have to find another place to live. I feel like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I don't want to cause a rift between my landlords who is also like my family and I don't think it's fair for my boyfriend and I to be treated like this. Any help would be appreciated.

Your landlord does have that right to not have anyone who was in a domestic violence issue to NOT be on their property.They never had any issues with him BEFORE this incident....You need to just move and find your own place where you can have your bf over.They're afraid that the violence might take place again on their property and they don't want to have to deal with that.No one likes to be around people who are having those types of issues or had in the past.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:42 PM

433 posts, read 532,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Lately?!

Sometimes I think the writers of those court tv shows come on here to test their material.
I tried to "rep" you, but, they said I have to "spread it around" Anyway, that is my theory too. An outlet for wantabee reality show writers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting